• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

project tetanus build thread.

Howard2x4x4

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Without a doubt, there are a bunch of dedicated, decent and gifted Bronco buffs here. What a great place to share our common passion! Howard in beautiful west Michigan

OP
OP
mustanggarage

mustanggarage

Contributor
You can add multi-tasking to your attributes.
yes, just a bit of slight of hand. take the wife on vacation. distract her with a change of scenery, and when she least suspects it, bam! the new drivetrain is on the way, lol

Without a doubt, there are a bunch of dedicated, decent and gifted Bronco buffs here. What a great place to share our common passion! Howard in beautiful west Michigan

Yes I have enjoyed this site a lot so far. I have learned a lot and received some good advice. some I have listened to, and some I guess I will just have to learn the hard way lol. Like my grandpa used to say "some folks learn by reading, some by doing, and some just have to piss on the electric fence." I am a little of all three I guess

OP
OP
mustanggarage

mustanggarage

Contributor
ok, now to lay out my plans for the future. just so God can get a nice chuckle, you understand;). ever since I started this project I have been considering the drive-train. Obviously there are tons of options out there. This bronco was originally a six cylinder with a column shifted 3 speed. The prior owner swapped in a 302, which is really tired now, and converted to a floor shifted 3 speed. Besides,with all the other things I have already changed, originality is the last thing on my mind, which opens up a whole range of options. My jeep is an automatic, and it is a fun little rig. it will remain my primary off-road rig, I want to keep the Bronco nice so it will be more of a show and go rig at least initially so I decided I would go with a manual I actually have both sets of pedals so I could go either way but I have decided on a manual. I looked at lots of options from the mazda to the zf to the nv 4500 and the ax 15. after looking at that icon bronco and watching Jay leno run it through its paces I decided I would go with the ax 15. It is a bit weak for the drivetrain I am planning, but it has the nice driving manners I want, and it will suit my needs, I believe. I am planning on going with the Wild Horses ax 15 ultimate kit, it has everything I need to get things going. I am not going with a coyote. first of all the cost is more than I want to spend, second I don't want to deal with figuring out how to get it fitted and running so I am going to stick with a little old school muscle.
I am a restomod guy, as such I have several criteria for the powerplant. it has to be cool, it has to look good. it has to provide enough power to back up the looks, and it has to have what I call the brag factor. it has to have something to grab attention and get peoples notice because one of the things I like to do with my projects is take them to car shows and talk to people and get there reactions. I think I am going to just tease a little and leave the final decision a bit of a mystery for now. Hopefully everything will work out the way I intend anyway.

OP
OP
mustanggarage

mustanggarage

Contributor
My conference was great.
MdPOn6P.jpg

CKemGny.jpg

the day after we got back, we got dumped on.
Spufn3U.jpg

I had to spend most of the day sunday plowing and scooping snow lol. but I
spent a lot of time while I was gone planning and scheming.

I also got my crate engine from summit delivered. I was going to wait until next month and do the engine and transmission at the same time, but I decided to spread it out a bit. I am embarrassed to say I did not build this engine. I have built several but this time looking at the cost of parts and materials, My Dad found this blue print engines 408 stroker on summit racing with all the stuff I wanted 425 hp 455 ft lbs tq already dyno'd for about the same as it would cost me to build it. so I decided I didn't need to build it this time.

APQbhpC.jpg

of course it comes with a front sump oilpan no intake,and I already bought my explorer serpentine conversion from sandman. so I needed to do some work on it.
first I got it out of the box and onto the engine stand. I decided to drop the intake on it temporarily so I could use my engine lift plates to get it out. that worked fine

dbf9adH.jpg

so first I pulled the oil pan and timing cover off. pulled the oil pump and replaced the oil pump drive shaft with an ARP version, new gasket, and installed the oil pump pickup I removed the fuel pump eccentric and torqued the timing gear back on, then put a new seal in the front cover and installed it with my damper dudes 28 oz imbalance explorer harmonic balancer, I like to install the balancer before tightening down the timing cover to allow the front seal to center itself hopefully preventing leakage. and then , test fit the pan, then installed the wild horses pan with a nice one piece gasket. and a wix oil filter.

bFI8JYk.jpg

I also planned to replace the valve covers once it is in the vehicle, and I wanted to see what it was going to look like so I went ahead and pulled them. checked the rockers and valve springs etc. over. everything looked great so I put my guide bolts in, when I had temporarily installed the intake manifold I checked the front and rear "china walls" and they both looked good, very little gap so I put a nice thick bead of rtv on and dropped the intake into position. then my new valve covers. I plan to put the old ones back in when I put the body back on to keep from scratching these up, but I wanted to see what it was going to look like. then I put the throttle bodies and the air cleaner on temporarily. I think it looks awesome. can't wait to see it running.

ObQfk7u.jpg

7l9EFx8.jpg

8SQYQpD.jpg

94dLMB6.jpg

OP
OP
mustanggarage

mustanggarage

Contributor
Serious drool goin' on here! Man, that thing is shur-nuff purty!

thanks.

That sure is purdy! You are putting a wheelie bar on that Bronco right?

I think it ought to get out of its own way lol. but when I decided to buy this engine I realized it is almost exactly the same numbers a 5.0 coyote makes. but at lower rpm and with that old school cool look. I have been drawing cars with dual quads since grade school, I always wanted to build one. when I saw this setup from fitech I decided that was what I wanted and basically built the engine I needed in my mind to fit this induction system. then found it already built online. anyway I hope I can get everything to work like I see it in my mind lol.

OP
OP
mustanggarage

mustanggarage

Contributor
I couldn't find the dyno sheet that was supposed to come with the engine so I called blueprint engines. on a side note, I did not realize this, but blueprint engines is located in kearney nebraska. Not far from my home town, and my cousin Teri worked there for about 20 years. she unfortunately passed away from cancer last year, and I never realized that she worked there. anyway they were very helpful and emailed the dyno information to me. it looks like this engine actually has more hp and torque than advertised.

Attachments

• 332824 - Copy.pdf
    198.4 KB · Views: 35
OP
OP
mustanggarage

mustanggarage

Contributor
I know I am getting way ahead of myself, but cj pony parts had a pretty good sale on the american autowire wiring harness. I have used the same company on my both my mustang rewire jobs and like it so I went ahead and ordered it. it will sit on a shelf for a good long time I am afraid, but at least I have it and it is ready to go when I am. I also ordered my transmission kit and so sometime in the next couple weeks I will be able to get the drivetrain mounted back in the frame.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Got to find me a conference like that soon :)

motor is looking mighty fine

OP
OP
mustanggarage

mustanggarage

Contributor
Got to find me a conference like that soon :)

the conference was a great sacrifice, I had to do it to keep the wife happy you know. I mean why would anyone want to leave Iowa in february to spend a week in hawaii. but you know, you do what you have to. seriously, I did learn a lot, and it was a great time away, and I needed it. but now it is back to the old grind stone.

motor is looking fine

thanks. I am really happy with how it looks. now if I can just get it to run lol. I am a bit concerned about that fitech, reading all the problems people have. I am trying to keep in mind that primarily only the people who have problems post about it, but it does make me a bit nervous. I installed an atomic MSD in my daughters 67 and it started and ran like a top from the work go.

OP
OP
mustanggarage

mustanggarage

Contributor
ok this weekend I got my ax 15 kit from wild horses.
rFyYFTp.jpg

so I bolted up the motor mounts and dropped the engine into the frame.

new flywheel and center force clutch. they sent me 5/16 pressure plate bolts, and no one in town had the 3/8 ones I needed so I had to drive 60 miles to Omaha to get some new ones. then I installed the clutch and pressure plate. then I got to use my new tool, magnetic drill press, to drill the new holes to mount the equalizer bar.

DHlVuWx.jpg

then I put the new ax 15 in place.

5cyUnvd.jpg

then instead of pounding the crossmember in place I decided to use my porta power I got from harbor freight to just spread it just enough to get it in without scratching the powdercoating.

FCFG4d8.jpg

the holes in the cross member were way off so I had to drill new ones. so I centered the mount in its adjustment, and then drilled new holes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mustanggarage

mustanggarage

Contributor
then I bolted up the transfer case and test fit the shifters. My oldest Daughter Lauren helped out a bit as well.

FVZnYpY.jpg

here are a few completed pics.

wWVe5AE.jpg

iz44gQy.jpg

dXdeap7.jpg

zOjrBCh.jpg

YnTAE0l.jpg

now I have to fill them with fluid and measure for driveshafts

Montoya

Looking great. That frame color is about perfect.

I'm jealous of the garage space!

Attachments

• Kill All Jeeps.JPG
    Kill All Jeeps.JPG
    35.2 KB · Views: 172
OP
OP
mustanggarage

mustanggarage

Contributor
Looking great. That frame color is about perfect.

I'm jealous of the garage space!

You’re killing me smalls. Seriously though, I love my joopacabra it is a fun little truck I have spent a lot of time on to make it cool it has a 270 hp 310 ft pound 4.6 stroker Dana 44 rear axle Arb lockers front and back. It is a pretty capable rig and looks cool too. With luck the bronco will turn out even better. But I intend to keep it nice. The Jeep is going to be my main off-road rig so if I beat it up a bit it is ok. It it is a pretty cool rig though IMHO

Montoya

Haha Just messin. I used to be a Jeep guy but then I got tired of the community. I've found the Bronco people are much more authentic and this community in particular is a fantastic one.

OP
OP
mustanggarage

mustanggarage

Contributor
It's all good lol. I always wanted a bronco, but they were just out of my budget. and when I lived in Utah everyone I knew was into Jeeps so I bought one and had a lot of fun with it. I bought the red one initially for my daughter to drive to school in the winter. but later I bought her another jeep and kept this one for myself. I always wanted the bronco, and I always have to have a project to keep myself sane, and It gives me and my Dad something to talk about. We can spend hours just talking about how things go together, what parts we need to do the next job, how I'm going to go about it etc. So when I decided to get a new project I started looking for a bronco. I wanted one that would need a complete restoration because I would like to do it my way from the ground up.

OP
OP
mustanggarage

mustanggarage

Contributor
I am still waiting on my exhaust system they are on back order from Duff. but in the mean time I hooked up an old radiator from my jeep and tested the cooling system and found I had a small leak from the water pump gasket so I got to take that off and re do it fun fun. I have been struggling to find the right alternator. I want a 1 wire alternator, that will work with my explorer serpentine system, but they seem to be rarer than unicorn hair. I finally found one that I can make work. it is not exactly right, but it will work, I think. I also contacted old air products and ordered my HVAC system so that I could start planning my dash system. they are great to work with. I told them I am using the explorer serpentine system so they had me buy an ac compressor from oreilly and then send them the hose ends that attach to the ac compressor from a junk yard, ( I just bought some new hoses from ebay, and cut the hose off and sent it in and they are going to modify the fittings to work with there hoses. so that will get my ac system squared away. I received my American autowire wiring harness also so I am collecting parts. my birthday is next month and I hope to be able to have the body sitting on the frame so I can start doing all the mods like cutting the fenders (aaagh all the purists run screaming from the room, lol) and checking the fit of the hood to see if the stock hood is going to work. in the mean time I cancelled my order from BC broncos for my blank dash. it had been on back order over 6 months with no indication they were ever going to get them back in stock. so I found a guy on my YJ jeep forum that makes custom Jeep dashes and they look really good. I asked him if he would consider branching out to Broncos. We are in the process of designing my custom dash. I am making mine a bit different than a lot of the custom dashes I have seen. I want to keep it pretty simple and not "too busy" so I decided to mount the ac vents below the dash, and I intend to mount a double din stereo gps navigation system in one of those wild horses cubbies below the dash. I went ahead and ordered my gauges. I just got them in today. I think they look pretty cool.