• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Intro and build thread from Canada

wizard12

I have been a lurker on this site for the last 3 years, reading and researching every day. It seems there has always been an answer for the questions I was looking at, so thought I should finally document my build in hopes that it will give back.

I have always had a love for vehicles and on the top of my bucket list was restoring one. My journey began when I was searching for a Ford bull nose to restore as that was my first vehicle ever and regret selling it. I mentioned my search to my brother and he gave the idea of restoring the bronco he had back in college. I had totally forgotten about his bronco as it was very rough (even at that time) and was only used to go in the back woods for some off roading. It was used very sparingly as it's road worthiness was questionable at best. He had intentions of rebuilding it and started dismantling it, but changed his mind and so it sat under a tree for 15+ years. I had totally forgotten about it until he mentioned it.
The price was right (free) so the journey began.

First order of business was getting it out from under the tree and transporting it 200km to my place.

31636048018_553dd33a51_z.jpg

44594900045_6f9c0d5d4d_z.jpg

30567858117_89c25ca2e0_z.jpg

30567870477_eb4b725606_z.jpg

43925158100_2f0410dbaf_z.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

wizard12

Step 2

Step 2
With the only hope of restoration being a total rebuild, I started the process of dismantling. First order of business was to get everything off the frame so that I could sandblast it.

Being a cheap accountant, I planned on doing as much work as I possibly could. It is a nice change from my day job of being in front of a computer for 8+hours a day.

Here she is all dismantled. Frame, axles, and misc parts ready for sandblasting.

31685827848_f0a236ccf8_z.jpg

44833278844_de273650bf_m.jpg

44833274054_85ab8f5126_m.jpg

44833271714_9ec604e549_z.jpg

Geniusloerts

Nice project! Free is always the best price. Glad I’m not the only bean counter doing a bronco. Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bfoldy

Contributor
Loc.
Torrance, CA
Congrats on the progress so far and good luck with the build.

Only problem I see is, Is your brother going to want it back when you finish it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
what you have there my friend is a frame and a pile of parts...the pile of parts will save you a TON of money though! I'm looking forward to following your adventure ;)

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Honest Question: Could sandblasting destroy the VIN on the frame??? Hate to see that happen.

It has to be protected, as well as when paint or powder coating is applied.

Welcome. I look forward to watching you bring something back from the dead.

No Hay

Bronco Guru
Honest Question: Could sandblasting destroy the VIN on the frame??? Hate to see that happen.

Mine was stamped so lightly, it doesn't show up very well.

I cleaned it up, sprayed with white paint, then lightly rubbed off the white paint to leave white in the numbers, and could barely read them.

OP
OP
W

wizard12

Time to sandblast

Geniusloerts: Nice to hear another bean counter on here. I think we are a rare breed in the restoration field

Bfoldy: My brother started the tear down and then realized the body was too bad. At that time he was young with limited funds and not much for choices, especially up here in Canada, so he found a 69 Mercury truck with a good body and that became his project. Hope he doesn't want it back. LOL

1strodeo: You are correct about it being a pile of parts. At the time I didn't realize that he had taken it apart and cut it up like it was. I was a bit overwhelmed when I went to get it, but the price was right.

Pops68: I didn't protect when I sandblasted. I remember seeing the VIN on the frame afterwards, but it was very faint. Luckily for me up north I don't think it will be a problem, as the registration of vehicles is much different. Heck we don't have any emissions checks or anything to that effect. It is the wild west right now.

Took everything to my wifes uncles place who owns a construction company. He set me up and I blasted away for a couple hours. frame, axles, knuckles, radius arms and caps, track bar, etc.
This was in April 2016 after sandblasting.

43740842460_d3fe3f7eff_m.jpg

OP
OP
W

wizard12

Por

I did some research and decided to use POR as everything was freshly sandblasted. I know there are lots of other products, but I could get this locally and it looked doable for someone with my experience (none).

I set everything up and did 2 coats of black, followed by 1 topcoat with UV protection. It was a messy, busy day, but I liked the results and was made some progress.

43740839670_3689e8cac5_m.jpg

43740837790_4b66c7f4b3_m.jpg

43740835800_7d17451aa9_m.jpg

chuckyb

Contributor
Good to see another one coming out of the weeds and back to life!

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
My oh my... got some work ahead of ya.

Good luck & Congrats! And welcome aboard

pipeline010

looks like a fun project. having literally zero dollars in it and the space / opinions of knowledgeable people is going to go a very long way for you.

Por-15 is a great product but on bare metal? If you used the Metal Ready to etch first it will adhere well, if not...

OP
OP
W

wizard12

Thanks for all the comments and welcomes.

Hey Pipeline, yep I used the POR metal prep before putting it on. I guess I could have just done that without sandblasting, but thought it would be good to get it cleaned up and see what I am dealing with. Good news was that everything was in excellent shape. I could hardly believe it considering how eaten away the body was.

Forgot to mention that before sandblasting, I had called Wild Horses and put an order in with Matt for all new suspension, new rear drum brakes, front disc conversion, bushings, brake lines, etc.

Earlier that year I also phoned Corey at Bronco Designs and got my name in the queue for a new body.

Started the reassemble process. Last photo is as of August 2016.

45558384771_b5edd1ec3c_z.jpg

44833249374_d5fe513a20_z.jpg

44833245634_f75596451f_z.jpg

45508046052_feca45fbb8_z.jpg

pipeline010

frame looks beautiful!

I've spent the long weekend rustproofing my frame (body on!). Although I'm confident I hit 99% of everything I needed to and the result was perfect, I was literally using my fingers at one point to glob spots in between the top of the frame and the body that I couldn't get at with a brush or mini-roller.

Just looking at your exposed frame beautifully coated looks like a relaxing time spent in the bay, rather than the annoying crawl and shove fest I went through.