• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Intro and build thread from Canada

OP
OP
W

wizard12

Time for a body

Thanks Pipeline. FYI - I painted everything using POR and a paint brush. No spraying was done to any parts. I was really pleased on how it smoothed out once you finished putting it on. I was much the same way and ended up shoving the paint brush into every nook and cranny on the frame/axles.

Here is the fibreglass body from BD. I got it shipped up to Minneapolis and made the drive down to get it (18 hours one way). It was mid December 2016 and some of the coldest weather I have every been in (-36 Celcius). The trip eased any fears I had of a fibreglass body. It did very well in the extreme temperature, no issues at all.

44644248715_a4eb8502c4_z.jpg

44833300584_e75872a0fb_z.jpg

44644242845_8c3bca3653_z.jpg

OP
OP
W

wizard12

Transfer case

The original transfer case was toast as it was left out in the elements and would require a complete rebuild.

Since I planned on going with a 5 speed from 1993 F150 I decided to use the money spent on an adapter to buy an NP205 and did a quick rebuild on it. Great videos on YouTube for anyone thinking of doing it.

Disassembled
31685874598_c5bb288e9e_z.jpg

Empty case
44644299465_107f4ae66d_z.jpg

Wire wheel cleaned it up nice
30617408787_365f965728_z.jpg

Painted and reassembled
44644295935_cb855a200b_z.jpg

44644293975_7a8966d543_z.jpg

I ended up ordering the JB Fab twin stick and did the grinding on the shift rails.

I really liked how the silver/black looked when finished.
Warning - That is one heavy girl. Had to make sure it was on the edge of my table as it was starting to flex it in the middle.

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
Make sure you build a mount from the tcase to the frame using those three holes on the front output side of the case. a simple L bracket from there to the frame with a body bushing or trans mount bushing (round) like the stock bronco ones between the Lbracket and the frame to allow for twist and vibration will work fine. that mazda trans will crack at the tailshaft supporting all that 205 beefieness. there are several threads on here where this has been done

hope this helps

OP
OP
W

wizard12

Hey Greenbug, I bought a 1993 F150 with the 5-speed. I realize it is not the zf, but I have had a similar truck with the M5 transmission back in the day and really liked it. The Bronco will be a pavement princess 100% so not worried about a sure lower first gear for off road.

The plan is to use the existing powertrain (engine and transmission). I know the intake will not fit so I have also picked up a used upper and lower mustang intake.

When I took the truck intake off, I discovered the engine is a roller, but with the non HO firing order. Now I just need to find a throttle body and figure out how I am going to do the wiring for the EFI as it is past my comfort level of doing electrical work.

Hope to get some more progress pictures up over the weekend.

OP
OP
W

wizard12

Thanks Crush. I ended up buying/using a TMR support kit.
https://www.tmrcustoms.com/ca/transfer-case-support-kit-np205

I put this off the back output with square tubing running between the 2 frame rails to reduce the hanging weight. I will try and get some pictures of the finished product. Let me know if you think it is sufficient or should I also do something on the drivers side support. Always looking for opinions of others who have a similar setup.

Make sure you build a mount from the tcase to the frame using those three holes on the front output side of the case. a simple L bracket from there to the frame with a body bushing or trans mount bushing (round) like the stock bronco ones between the Lbracket and the frame to allow for twist and vibration will work fine. that mazda trans will crack at the tailshaft supporting all that 205 beefieness. there are several threads on here where this has been done

hope this helps

pipeline010

ya that body looks pretty sharp.

I may be finally warming towards FG for the northeast over steel.

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
WIZARD = Didnt evenknow that existed. looks like it should work fine. I dont havve that setup but have often contemplated it and in my research found the way i suggested to be the norm but that kit from TMR looks really nice

nick1975bronco

Where are you located in Canada there are a few of us bronco guys out here. I would like to check out one of those glass bodies been thinking about them a long time so I can build a rust free bronco.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
W

wizard12

Hey Nick, I am just outside Airdrie so not too far from you. If you ever come up this way you are more than welcome to come by and check out the fiberglass body. I detest rust so I am definitely a fan.

Where are you located in Canada there are a few of us bronco guys out here. I would like to check out one of those glass bodies been thinking about them a long time so I can build a rust free bronco.

OP
OP
W

wizard12

Fitting parts on

Time to start putting parts on the body.

Put in seats and tacked up the roll bar to make sure it would fit.
43741014820_6a1b137b15_z.jpg

Doors and topper on to see how it all lines up.
45196403795_1aa610217c_z.jpg

46107788371_3951203984_z.jpg

Engine from donor truck on frame. My initial plan was to swap intake to mustang.
31168427687_9ab4c05905_z.jpg

M5 transmission from donor truck. Needed new slave cylinder so had to separate from engine.
45383777814_9a588f74d3_z.jpg

Next pictures will be after paint and starting final assembly to where I am currently at. Hope to get them up in next day or 2.

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
Just an FYI. You can find a top shifter trans cover off of a newer M5 that will move the shifter back considerably. I got one off a 2002 f150 and it took very little modifying to fit. Ken

Attachments

• shift 1.jpg
    shift 1.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 37
  • shift 5.jpg
    shift 5.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 45

nick1975bronco

I definitely come take a look I live down in Nanton and work in calgary. Looks great seems to line up nice. I too am a hater of rust lol. Also the m5 out of a thunderbird SC has the shifter towards the rear.

OP
OP
W

wizard12

Thanks Bronkenn. I just looked up your thread on how you show the difference on the shift forks and all that is needed is a bit of grinding. Will definitely look into this. I didn't realize there were any manual transmissions in the trucks past 96-97. I am guessing there is a reason you didn't go with the entire transmission from a 2002?

Also noticed the nice hydraulic line you have on your transmission. Did you order that from somewhere? All I have is the plastic hard line from the donor vehicle which needs replacing anyways, and would rather go with something flexible as I am sure the distance will now be different than what was stock.

Just an FYI. You can find a top shifter trans cover off of a newer M5 that will move the shifter back considerably. I got one off a 2002 f150 and it took very little modifying to fit. Ken

OP
OP
W

wizard12

I will send you a PM with my phone number. Give me a shout when you want to come by. Kids keep me pretty busy but sure I can find some time to connect.
I did the commute for 20 years to downtown Calgary. In January I decided to take a break and get caught up on life/kids. Once the Bronco is done I might have to relinquish my Mrs. Doubtfire duties.

I definitely come take a look I live down in Nanton and work in calgary. Looks great seems to line up nice. I too am a hater of rust lol. Also the m5 out of a thunderbird SC has the shifter towards the rear.

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
Thanks Bronkenn. I just looked up your thread on how you show the difference on the shift forks and all that is needed is a bit of grinding. Will definitely look into this. I didn't realize there were any manual transmissions in the trucks past 96-97. I am guessing there is a reason you didn't go with the entire transmission from a 2002?

Also noticed the nice hydraulic line you have on your transmission. Did you order that from somewhere? All I have is the plastic hard line from the donor vehicle which needs replacing anyways, and would rather go with something flexible as I am sure the distance will now be different than what was stock.
The reason I went this way is I already had the trans out of a 90 f-250 and knew it was a strong trans. I am not sure of the differences in the older M5 in the heavier duty truck compared to the newer f-150. The newer ones had the 4.2 V6 motor so I wasn't sure if they are as strong. The shift cover can come from a two wheel drive as well.That braided line was an3 and I found a way to adapt it to the throw out bearing and clutch master. If you want details, I'll have to dig in it a bit to see what exactly was used. Ken