• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Cost Building New Bronco From Scratch (Hint it’s in the 80’s)

OP
OP
T

T-7ToNewOldB

Nice ride!

For me this is a full build project with my 17 year old son who is crazy into cars. Does most the work on our other rides. So it was either a full restoration or a new build. I preferred the more direct path of a new build, restorations have a lot of side projects that pop up. They are a better value and for the right people very cool projects. For us build from new is the way to go. I went LAL on the body as that avoids the crazy time associated with building a new tub. I was very careful to avoid the ICON level of customization that starts to make the project more and more complicated and costly, it already is enough of both of those. I don’t pretend I’ll ever get my money out, but I don’t plan on selling it. My most similar ride (way cheaper) is a 2004 TJ unlimited (wish they still sold the 2 door unlimited). I’ve had it for 14 years and will keep it till rust claims it. A claim she has already staked.

rydog1130

Bronco Guru
Just watched a 66 thunderbird auction on Bring a Trailer

They had a shop built it and replaced or rebuilt every single thing on the car
Spent $155k total parts and labor

Sold it at a no reserve auction for $19k

Straight up gut punch followed by a swift kick to the nuts before going down...

Flying Pigs

Loc.
Elgin, IL
Nice ride!

For me this is a full build project with my 17 year old son who is crazy into cars. Does most the work on our other rides. So it was either a full restoration or a new build. I preferred the more direct path of a new build, restorations have a lot of side projects that pop up. They are a better value and for the right people very cool projects. For us build from new is the way to go. I went LAL on the body as that avoids the crazy time associated with building a new tub. I was very careful to avoid the ICON level of customization that starts to make the project more and more complicated and costly, it already is enough of both of those. I don’t pretend I’ll ever get my money out, but I don’t plan on selling it. My most similar ride (way cheaper) is a 2004 TJ unlimited (wish they still sold the 2 door unlimited). I’ve had it for 14 years and will keep it till rust claims it. A claim she has already staked.

Working and hanging with your son is priceless. I remember working in the garage with my dad as far back as 10 years old. Life teaches that if your not doing something out of love it will bite you in the hind end. I get the feeling we are gonna cross paths and you guys are building one bad azz rig.

My ramblings are for the guys with the kids that are grown or small ones starting out. I will be honest, my life was difficult at the beginning and restoring a car made things tougher. I have a shirt that says, Carcaine. I was hooked. Find ways to live life and have fun.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
...One of these days i will figure out how to post pictures. Company Christmas party tomorrow night already.

Easy peasy. Relatively speaking...
First level is to use your "Garage" or "Gallery" function in your User CP. If you're going to be posting pics a lot (and we hope you do!) you can become a contributor for 12 bucks a year and can then upload high res images as often as you like directly to the forum from your device.

There are also other online image hosting sites that you can post pictures to, then link the pictures here. Some members do that but I've never looked into it since I like posting directly.

Have fun!

Paul

OP
OP
T

T-7ToNewOldB

Working and hanging with your son is priceless. I remember working in the garage with my dad as far back as 10 years old. Life teaches that if your not doing something out of love it will bite you in the hind end. I get the feeling we are gonna cross paths and you guys are building one bad azz rig.

Hit the nail on the head. Life is short and time with kids at home shorter. He enjoys the work and really enjoys doing it with me. That is more than enough motivation. While I might “want” to do a project like this on my own it is this added dimension that makes it so cool for me. It will also make it a lot more than a truck once we are done.

I have no doubt our paths will cross. I’ll ping you when we are farther along, or when in desperate need of help. Both which will happen, I have no doubt. Finishing our 69 beetle engine build and install and then straight to building the rear end. Front end is rebuilt so already ready. Frame should arrive early January then full speed from there!!! Or some speed from there.

Hugh

OP
OP
T

T-7ToNewOldB

Received all the parts from Wild Horses minus the Atlas 2 and hydroboost. Unpacked and almost done with Rear End construction. (LSD, Disc Brakes and upgraded Ford 9”). Frame from Krawlers Edge should ship tomorrow and arrive next week. My goal is rolling chassis complete by January end to send to LAL. Need to figure out how to post pics here. Frame crating and shipping came lower than expected, $700 total.

mbhaddad

Nice, moving pretty quick. Are you on contract for a feb LAL body build? Not sure if there is still a 6 month backlog with lou?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Received all the parts from Wild Horses minus the Atlas 2 and hydroboost.

Hey, thanks! Glad you got most of your stuff to play with. Hopefully the remaining items won't be delayed too much longer.
Sounds like you're already on a roll.

Need to figure out how to post pics here. Frame crating and shipping came lower than expected, $700 total.

Several ways to do it. You can post some up initially in you "Garage" or "Gallery" functions, or you can use another online image hosting site like SuperMotors and similar (but not PhotoBucket unless they've changed their ways!). Or, and the easiest I think, is to become a contributor for 12 bucks a year and then you can upload even some pretty high-resolution images directly to the post from your device.
In a pinch you can e-mail them to one of us with the yellow "contributor" below their username, but that's often the most delay as things go back and forth.

Hope that helps.

Paul

OP
OP
T

T-7ToNewOldB

Photos

I’ll pony the $12. Soon.

Front and rear end done, mocked up the suspension. Frame going out for powder coating on Monday, will have back by Wednesday. Rolling chassis should go to LAL towards the end of February so should have it back in March. Still planning to have it running early summer.

Hugh

OP
OP
T

T-7ToNewOldB

Lal

Nice, moving pretty quick. Are you on contract for a feb LAL body build? Not sure if there is still a 6 month backlog with lou?

Probably in March, I had placed my order with him quite some time ago, don’t remember when. It was ahead of schedule based on when I knew I was going to be able to start the build on my end.

bowhunter

Bronco Guru
With that motor and trans....I’d go with WH’s shorty headers all day long (JBA’s). That’s what I put on mine and all is good with no fittment issues.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Good deal Hugh...

I’ll pony the $12. Soon.

Front and rear end done, mocked up the suspension. Frame going out for powder coating on Monday, will have back by Wednesday. Rolling chassis should go to LAL towards the end of February so should have it back in March. Still planning to have it running early summer.

Hugh

OP
OP
T

T-7ToNewOldB

Quick Update

I’ll do a better post soon but rolling chassis shipped out to LAL for body a couple weeks back. Lots of little issues but nothing major on assembly. Shipper last minute was in the area about 3-4 weeks early so crazy scrambling and had to ship it with less done than I wanted. 637ACDEF-C413-481D-B4EC-A2FE6AA4D0F5.jpg
716F3C54-546A-4BC4-A14F-B4528C7C2F27.jpg

Switched from heavy duty mounts to standard for the engine, helped with misalignment issues and for a street ride should be better. Rushed and clutch alignment was oddly frustrating, had a universal clutch tool that didn’t work very well. The one I ordered that was the “right” size was the older version for a smaller shaft size. The rush on shipping prevented me from getting the proper part.

Lots of open issues and I’ll post a bunch of the work to get to this point. LAL hopes to have it back to me by the end of May. Going to Bronco Super Celebration with my son next weekend to get some good ideas (color, layouts, wiring, etc etc. . )

Howard2x4x4

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hmmm, seems the scratch-built can hit potholes just like the real McCoys. I'm sure it's frustrating (is for me) but keep the ball rollin'. Really looking forward to your build. Have fun at Super Cel! I'm sure you will be droolin', motivated and inspired!

Last edited: