• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Icon Bronco Steel Wheels

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I'm not sure who Jonathan is using now but at one time he was using Circle Racing Wheels for those wheels.

Todd Z.

68Broncoz

Contributor
Normally there are youtube videos of the Icon Broncos. He usually details most of the major parts on the video.

Joe473

I'm not sure who Jonathan is using now but at one time he was using Circle Racing Wheels for those wheels.

Todd Z.
a while back I did find info on them. I want to say they were on the order of $500 each. They were made specifically for icon and coated aluminum, not steel.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

diggs00

I like that look too. @mbhaddad has a build doing the same type of wheels. I plan to follow his lead on wheels and caps.

Here is his thread:
http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=291233&page=2

I reached out to @mbhaddad and he chose coy wheels:
https://www.coyswheel.com/product-page/coys-c-33-18x8-5x5-5x4-75-4-5-back-spacing

@mbhaddad mentioned Rocky Roads uses these coy wheels (look here):
https://www.rockyroads.com/Truck-Fo...rey-w-black-Restored-Custom-Built.aspx#photos

Here are the icon rims used:
http://circleracing.com/108oe.htm

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I personally don't like how 18" wheels look on a bronco. I contacted circle racing about what size hub caps work.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I personally don't like how 18" wheels look on a bronco. I contacted circle racing about what size hub caps work.

They'll machine them for your caps and they have to matched for your specific caps. It appears the large chunks of billet they use aren't as forgiving as steel centers in terms of the amount of 'give' for fitting/retaining the caps.

I considered it for mine (I have 108s on my truck) but quickly dismissed it when I realized the caps were custom fitted to the wheels.

Todd Z.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
...Any insight into the wheel and center cap combination utilized on this build (it looks like it may be wheel vintiques)?

Even though they're not Wheel Vintiques this time, that's still a valid company and wheel to use for the steel "stock-ish" look. Several of us here have them.
I think the most common (so far at least) are the 15x7" version with 4" backspacing. Works real well on my '68 but not sure if the others that have mentioned buying them have actually put them on yet.

Even though I'm duffy on the 18" thing, I actually don't mind 16's and even up to 17's for some reason.
It's just that the ratio of tire sidewall to wheel visually seems to make that leap to the dark side between 17 and 18 for me.
And I'm sure he must have just "loved" the 24's they used on the Texas Metal Bronco yesterday!!!!
Or not...

But if you're sticking with 15's it's hard to go wrong with any standard steely, including Vintiques.
Just make sure that no matter what size you go with, it's offset is compatible with the rest of your build.

Good luck.

Paul

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Anyone know if they make re-pops of the 1965-66 for galaxy dog dish poverty?

OP
OP
wbgarman

wbgarman

Thank you everyone for the insights on the steel wheels. I’m currently running 15X8” wheels (4” offset) on 31x10.5x15" tires on my LUBR. I’d like to go a bit “skinnier” on the tire, so they'll tuck right into the wheel well. I really like the stance of KDML and Zillacon’s (mustard) LUBRs that I came across below. With a 2.5" lift, will a 30x9.50 tire best achieve this stance?

I will play too

3.5" suspension lift and 1" body lift with 31x10.5's on stock rims
attachment.php

My current 69 and 71

BroncoPics005.jpg

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Just putting the same 10.50 tires on a narrower wheel will still give you that narrower look from being tucked in tighter.
The tire won't be any narrower in spite of being mounted on the narrower rim, but the whole thing tucks in nicer on an uncut.

In KDML's pic those are 31x10.50's but the wheels are either 5.5 or 6 inches wide I believe.
Not sure about Zillacon's, but gotta love those hubcaps!

I think going to a 9.5" tire on an 8" wide wheel is too much anyway. Gives it the bulging out look at the sidewall that I don't like on trucks. Narrower wheels with wider tires for me almost any day.

Paul

OP
OP
wbgarman

wbgarman

Just putting the same 10.50 tires on a narrower wheel will still give you that narrower look from being tucked in tighter.
The tire won't be any narrower in spite of being mounted on the narrower rim, but the whole thing tucks in nicer on an uncut.

In KDML's pic those are 31x10.50's but the wheels are either 5.5 or 6 inches wide I believe.
Not sure about Zillacon's, but gotta love those hubcaps!

I think going to a 9.5" tire on an 8" wide wheel is too much anyway. Gives it the bulging out look at the sidewall that I don't like on trucks. Narrower wheels with wider tires for me almost any day.

Paul

Thank you Paul, I hadn't considered sticking with my pre-existing tires (31x10.5x15") when going to the steel wheel look. I had assumed they would still bulge a bit, but if I understand you correctly, placing the same tires on a 15X5.5" or 15X6" wheel will help give it the skinny/tucked in look on my LUBR.

Vintiques looks to offer a '15X6 OE STEEL PRIMER | 5X5.5" BOLT | 3.75" BACKSPACE' wheel. If I chose this wheel, will I run into any issues going from a 4" backspace to a 3.75"?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes, because that's the stock wheel size made to tuck in tight under the fender. A 15x8 with only 4" of backspacing is not.

The tire will look bulgy to some (though not to me) but at least it will tuck inside the fender opening farther.
Then down the road if you want to go to a 9.50 or a 235x75 or similar, you can still do that and be narrower still.

I would not think you would have any issues with the narrower wheel with less backspacing. Remember, it's a full two inches narrower, so losing a 1/4" of backspacing out of that 2" does not seem to bode ill.
You lose only one quarter inch of wheel on the inside (where there was not a problem to begin with), but you lose the other one and three quarters inches on the outside where it's all about the looks and clearance.
I'm not sure what stock backspacing is, but one of the others should know I would think.

But the proof is in the pudding, so to speak. And right in front of us in the form of Zillacon's rig. There it is right there in the quoted pic. 31x10.50's on stock steel wheels.
Looks pretty great to me!

Paul

OP
OP
wbgarman

wbgarman

Beauty!! Source of hubcaps?

Todd Z.

They are Wheel Vintiques Center Caps, part number 2008A-1. For the front wheels, I had to drill out the center with a 4" hole saw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
They are Wheel Vintiques Center Caps, part number 2008A-1. For the front wheels, I had to drill out the center with a 4" hole saw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks!

Todd Z.