• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Speedometer rebuild/repair

Arniep

Loc.
Polo,(Northwest) Mo
My speedometer crapped out, wrapped around a couple of times, then quit. I replaced it with one from my parts Bronco, it worked good for a week. Now it's jumping around, acting like the other one did before it quit. I say that to get to this: what is the best option, send it to someone to rebuild, or buy a new one. I'm guessing someone rebuilds them. I do know that buying a new one is a pretty pricey option, not compatible with my budget. What are my choices?

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
This is what I was thinking, It might be your cable?

It could be or there is some sort of counter weight gizmo in the gauge that could be bad... As I had in mine.

The cheap fix would be to pull the drive out of the cable and lube it and see if it helps?

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Make sure to use proper speedometer grease and make sure the cable is routed properly so your not adding stress to the inner cable by poor routing of the cable jacket. This should be done first even if you decide to spend money on a new head unit. You don't want a new unit stressed by a bad cable running in hardened grease.