• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need a new 302

philliphyunphcs

Hi, my first post here. Just bought a running 71 Bronco and 1 month later I need a new engine. Where do I start?????

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
First off, welcome to CB. Glad you're here but sorry about your early Bronco experience. This is a great place with good people and LOTS of wisdom and insight.

What's wrong with your engine that you need a new one? It may just need some machining and a few parts.

Other ideas

1. Find a block (craigslist or a friend) and build it or have it built. That way you get what you might want. You could upgrade to a 351W
2. Crate engine. Just go to advance search and search for "crate engine." There are a million posts.
3. Pick and pull. There are experts on here who can tell you all about those options.

But I would find out why your engine "went bad"

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
So I assume you've never wrenched then. Lets remove that from the table. I would also think you'd want to remove swapping a motor by yourself. I'd go to the nearest NAPA and ask the parts guys who they would use to swap in a motor.

But first, what is wrong with the current motor?

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Welcome Welcome Phillip!! Become a contributor, Post Pics, and Vote for the Site daily..

Next Step.. What's your budget, what ya gonna be doing, Wheeling it, cruising it at the mall, on the road..

Lotta options out there for putting another motor in there

Good to have ya with us

http://top4x4sites.com/top.php

OP
OP
P

philliphyunphcs

Thanks everyone! Apparently there is no oil pressure, the cause not yet known, and the distributor and cam gears have broken teeth. I don't know why this is such a challenge to repair but my mechanic is suggesting a new motor may be needed. Is this accurate or should I find another mechanic. I know very little about engines and I am trying to climb the steep leaving curve.

OP
OP
P

philliphyunphcs

Here is a pic...
f38f11a66ad9f1461516ac2f1bcc719a.jpg

Timmy390

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
No oil pressure verified how? The gauge in the cluster might be bad or the pressure sending unit might be bad. Both result in a no pressure reading. Broken wire even.

Sounds like you got something going on for sure. What's the history on the engine? Broken or worn out distributor gear can be due to a mismatch between cam and gear materials.

Tim

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
I know very little about engines and I am trying to climb the steep leaving curve.

I think most of us have been there. My advice, take your time, don't rush into anything without getting lots of input from the people on here. They are very wise and experienced. It makes the learning curve much easier to climb.

Does it have no oil pressure on the gauge? Or does it definitely have no oil pressure? Has the engine seized up?

boonz28

Contributor
Welcome to the site, I wish it were under better circumstances.
First thing that comes into my mind are mismatched cam gear / distributor gear material causing those broken teeth as Timmy said. That means metal floating around in that engine and more specifically bearings.
This could end up being a big job for sure. If you choose to tackle it yourself this forum contains a wealth of information in its archives as well as a community of very knowledgeable fellow bronco owners who are always willing to lend some advice or even a hand sometimes.
In my opinion getting your hands dirty is the best way to learn this kind of stuff but keep in mind that with something as involved as an engine overhaul there are going to be a lot of tools needed if you don't already have a well equipped toolbox.
But hey, whatever you decide on I'm sure this will be a great opportunity to familiarize yourself with that nice looking EB you've got there.
-Seth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bronco Maniac

If you decide on new engine, a friend of mine got one at Oreilly's. It was like $1700 with a three year warranty. It is stock. You have to buy their oil/etc. when installing the engine. They have to verify the installation for the warranty to begin.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Nice Ride... U need to make friends w/a local person who can check it over for ya..

Or get recommendations from a friend, someone who can give it a once over for ya.

Here is a pic...
f38f11a66ad9f1461516ac2f1bcc719a.jpg

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
welcome to the board, where you stay (aka where are you from) at. once we know that we can deploy some bronco brothers to help you out.

OP
OP
P

philliphyunphcs

Thanks Tim. He was looking at the dash gauge. He's going to check it with a master pressure gauge. Prob tomorrow.

RPM289

Distributor gear is usually a mismatched bronze or cast gear no the less you need to tear into it to fix it and get debris out. If you need it my brother has a rebuilt 302 stock build he is asking $1000 for it.

dave67fd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It wouldn't take long for her to start rapping once oil pressure dropped.
something to consider, If engine is original and I believe has nylon cam gear. Mine wiped out and clogged my pump. Assuming it doesn't start ?