• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Turn signal problems

coocollins

The turn signals on my 75 bronco are not working. I have changed the flasher fuse and checked fuses, changed turn signal switch. If I leave it alone for a while the turn signal will come flash one time and quit. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

chuckji

Contributor
Loc.
SE Michigan
Check easy stuff first.
Sounds like it can work since it’ll flash once.
How about the wire to wire connector between the steering column and main dash wire harness? Maybe unplug and plug it in a couple of times to clear any corrosion or gunk built up on the terminals...?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Do you have LED lights (brake/turn, etc.)? Those can be so low amp draw to not load the flasher.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Sounds like it's just going down hill and not worth repairing, Just ship it to me and I'll send you a $1k LOL :)

J/K Electrical Sux

Welcome to the site btw.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes, did you check the flasher units/relays?
There are two of them and, while they're specific to each function, have the same contact pattern so you can swap one for the other to test.
If your turn signals work by themselves then, you should be able to move it temporarily over.

And since you said it works initially, then dies, maybe that's what happened in the past. Maybe someone used a turn-signal flasher in the 4-way position and it just died earlier than it should have. I mean, they do fail eventually, even when the proper one is used.
Maybe you've just got dead flashers?

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I see you've got it posted multiple times. I replied to one of your other threads.
Maybe you can private message (PM) the ADMIN (Jon) to combine your three threads into one so we keep the answers all together.

Don't worry about the multiple posts. It's happened to pretty much all of us at one time or another. Usually when we were first on the site, because for some reason you can't see the thread you started the first time.
But I bet you see it now!;D

Good luck with the issue. Lots of good suggestions so far.
While we're at it though, anything else you can tell us about the wiring in your truck? Such as, is it all original? In good shape still? Or thoroughly thrashed? Somewhere in-between maybe?
Any other things you've done, such as the LED's mentioned?

Paul

OP
OP
C

coocollins

The wiring is original in better shape than others I have seen , better than the last I had. No leds. They were working fine then last weekend I hit the switch at one corner and they were fine the next corner nothing. I will try all of the suggestions and see what happens.
Thanks

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It will make a difference in some wiring aspects, including how the 4-ways are switched (dash for the '73, steering column for the '75 and a horn relay for the later one as well) but for the basic turn signal and flasher functions, they're essentially identical.
But it's good to know the year of a Bronco anyway around here!

Thanks for the correction.

Paul

Idahorocks

Loc.
Spring, Texas
Mine have also been intermittent lately. Since it started I replaced the flasher with a heavy duty unit. Worked okay for a couple of drives and now it is failing again. What’s funny is I can get them to start working again by turning on my hazards for a couple of seconds. I must be confusing to follow on the road. I’m thinking I have a crappy connection somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Where were your replacement parts made?
We have been seeing a lot of bad right out of the box electrical parts in recent years.
Parts store brands are the worst, they constantly look for a cheaper supplier, then put the parts in their store brand boxes.

willtel

Mine have also been intermittent lately. Since it started I replaced the flasher with a heavy duty unit. Worked okay for a couple of drives and now it is failing again. What’s funny is I can get them to start working again by turning on my hazards for a couple of seconds. I must be confusing to follow on the road. I’m thinking I have a crappy connection somewhere.

Is your hazard switch on the column? I was having the same issue with mine and just figured it out. If I press forward on the hazard switch (mine is on the column) the turn signals will work and stop working as soon as I let go of it. When the hazard switch is off it is supposed to pass power to the turn signals and mine has gone bad.