• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Seatbelt harness options?

jperry1290

I will be adding a 40in Corbeau Baja seat In the back for my kids (6 and 9). This is a mostly street rig with mild rock crawling. I do have a family cage but seats are not yet tied to the cage and cage is not tied to frame yet.

Is there a way to use harnesses for the kids in the Corbeau seat without the rear harness bar?

What do you guys think about usin a shoulder/lap seatbelt for the front seats even thought cage is not tied to frame? I don’t think it’s worse than having lap belts only and bouncing my head off the roll bar or windshield.

Last edited:

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Cage is tied to the body, seat is tied to the body. Seat body and cage should end up in the same place in an accident. Your front seats are tied to the body so all passengers end up in the same place as long as they stay in their seats. The real trick is keeping their bodies in the seat and making sure that the roll cage doesn't just punch through a 45 year old rusty body. Most seats are not properly mounted for a full size person to completely support itsself in a severe impact. It takes in extra support from the mounted seat belts holding everything and everyone in place. Go in a wrecking yard some time and look at all the broken seats in severe accidents. Things have gotten much better in the last 15 years or so with modern safety systems and crumple zones dispersing and reducing the energy being applied to the occupents.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
Cage is tied to the body, seat is tied to the body. Seat body and cage should end up in the same place in an accident. Your front seats are tied to the body so all passengers end up in the same place as long as they stay in their seats. The real trick is keeping their bodies in the seat and making sure that the roll cage doesn't just punch through a 45 year old rusty body. Most seats are not properly mounted for a full size person to completely support itsself in a severe impact. It takes in extra support from the mounted seat belts holding everything and everyone in place. Go in a wrecking yard some time and look at all the broken seats in severe accidents. Things have gotten much better in the last 15 years or so with modern safety systems and crumple zones dispersing and reducing the energy being applied to the occupents.

That’s some solid advice, I agree!

Mark