• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Automatic Shift Collar on a 77 wont fit

Texas CB

Loc.
Austin
Well my shifting went out in multiple places at once. The tab on top of the shift tube popped off and the inner tube/collar on the shift collar (OEM parts on a C4 in 77) split in half. Ordered a replacement shift collar from WH and welded the tab back on the shift tube.

Problem was I went to install it this weekend and it just doesnt fit. The length of the shift collar isnt long enough and doest cover the wire holes in the steering column. The shift tube is as far in as it will go inside the inner collar. It just doesnt fit. It is the collar for an automatic as it has the cutout and clip for the shift indicator.

Before I try and return this- did the 77 use a longer collar? Unfortunately I tossed the broken one already (yeah dumb move). Any ideas? I called my buddy over who is a master mechanic to make sure i wasnt missing anything and he gave up on it after a few hours too.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Where did you place the welds on the tab? You have to be careful or the tube won't fit all the way into the collar.

OP
OP
Texas CB

Texas CB

Loc.
Austin
Where did you place the welds on the tab? You have to be careful or the tube won't fit all the way into the collar.

Front and back of the tabs not sides. Ground them down and test fitted on both ends of the tube. The tabs fit. The tube fits flush inside the machined out part of the collar which is why its so strange. It like the collar just isnt long enough. I actually ended up pulling the steering column to do it on the bench to make sure I wasnt missing something after the first 90 minutes of cussing.

Hotrodjohn

Im pretty sure 77 auto collar the same as all other auto collars. What your describing sounds like shift tube is not bottoming out against the spring in the bottom side of column. I remember doing mine and you have to get the shift lever(that hooks to on bottom lined up with bottom tab, the shift collar lined up with top tab on tube and push and twist till it drops that last inch or so,(which will cover wires) then get the t bolts into the blinker switch part that holds the shift collar down. Its tricky because you have to continue to hold down pressure on collar while lining up the t bolts. Put the t bolts in first and just barely thread the nut and you can work that part on.