Bronco Hut    

Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts   Toms Bronco Parts   BC Broncos
Community
 Message Forum
 Photo Gallery
 Event Calendar
 Book Reviews
 Bronco Wallpaper
 Bronco FAQ
 Link Back to CB!
 600+ Bronco Links!

Search all Bronco Links
Buy / Sell
 Classifieds / Want Ads
 Vendor Forum
James Duff
Rust Bullet
Sexton Offroad
Bronco Tech
Recent Tech Articles
 •Holley Carb Tips
 •Aussie Locker
 •C6 203 205 Doubler
 •4 Link
 •Clutch Replacement
 •Early Turn Signals
 •C4 Improvements
 •Threaded Dipstick
 •NV3550 5 spd
     More Tech...
Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts

Welcome to the ClassicBroncos.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a GUEST which limits your access to viewing only. To take advantage of all the forum features please take a moment to register. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact the admin. If you've lost your password click here.

Go Back   ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Chat

Old 06/04/14, 11:28 AM   #1
WARDOG

High-Sierra Mountain Man

Graniteville, CA
Garage
BC Broncos Soft Top Vs. Best Top

I know this must already be out there, but I cannot find in a search.
I am looking for a soft top.
Must have the ability to remove or roll down the rear side panels.
Must have the ability to reasonably keep it watertight when buttoned up for winter.
I would likely keep the roof panel on all of the time for sun shade.
Best Top gets great reviews but the only color I can find is Black - Not so good.
I like the asthetics of the BC Broncos Top, and the colors available (Tan to match my rig and to blend into a dusty top).
Opinions for those that have either top, or who have had both especially.

Thanks-
WARDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/04/14, 11:41 AM   #2
JustinFro

Tulsa, OK

My Gallery
Garage
Price is the kicker. If you can afford the BC top, go that route. Looks damn good and highly functional.

I opted for the Best Top since I only run it in the winter.

'70 Sport, 33x10.5 BFGs, 2.5" SL + 2" BL
JustinFro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/04/14, 11:44 AM   #3
CoronaDog

San Antonio
Garage
I do not own either of these soft tops, I bought my bronco with the rampage top,and do not like it. I have seen the BC top at their place, and I like how it is constructed. It looks like it will last a very long time, plus the color options. All the armature looks to bolt to body solidly. One of the pet peeves of the rampage top I have is it is loud as hell when its up. I think you'll get what you pay for with the BC top. It is on my list.
CoronaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/04/14, 01:14 PM   #4
bchesley
Contributor

Whitehouse, Texas
Garage
I mulled over the purchase of a soft top for almost a year. I actually went back and forth over this same question, BC or Bestop. I ended up buying a BC top. A business trip to San Antonio had me an hour drive away so I decided to drive out to look at the top. Once I saw one in person it was a no brainer to me. One of my most expensive single purchases, but one of the best purchases also. I love the fit and finish, look, ease of use, and its durability. I plan on adding a roof rack and the headliner.

1975 Money pit named "Trigger" 5.5 WH lift with Duff Long Arms, 35" MTR, BC Soft Top, Baillie cage, 4.56 Gears, Locked, 1-ton steering, PSC Box

1972 Bronco Explorer/Sport, Candy Apple Red, Ginger Explorer Interior, All stock
bchesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/04/14, 01:15 PM   #5
BNC04

Longmont
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoronaDog View Post
I do not own either of these soft tops, I bought my bronco with the rampage top,and do not like it. I have seen the BC top at their place, and I like how it is constructed. It looks like it will last a very long time, plus the color options. All the armature looks to bolt to body solidly. One of the pet peeves of the rampage top I have is it is loud as hell when its up. I think you'll get what you pay for with the BC top. It is on my list.
I really don't have a dog in this hunt but, my rampage top is not loud at all.
There is give an take on all of the 3 primary options. I went with the rampage because it was a little shorter in the center brace than the best top and I couldn't afford the BC top.

Rampage folds down to the tailgate. Rear and side windows come off, though the sides are not as easy to attach. If they had snaps it would be about the perfect top in my book.

Good luck, the research is part of the fun!.
Brett
BNC04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/04/14, 01:22 PM   #6
sprdv1
Contributor
REBEL

Guess you better call the Whaaaambulance

Lees Summit-Missouri

My Gallery
Difference is price/quality.

BC High $$, very good quality

Rampage - decent price and good quality.

Depends on the look you want and the $$ you want to pay Good luck

sprdv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/04/14, 02:49 PM   #7
SteveL
Super dick

66 &72 w/351, 4spd, 4whl disc.

Hawthorne, ca
If I buy another soft top it will be from bc. Well worth the $. The cheaper ones don't last. Also hate the hardware on the stc or bestop. Not just the rattles but the kids cant climb over the bedrails to get in.
SteveL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/04/14, 04:08 PM   #8
Madgyver
Bronco Madman

RADIO FLYER ROCKS

Honolulu,Hawaii

My Gallery
The Bestop Supertop on my rig is 8 years old and it has done its deed. Stitching is coming apart. Rear window side zippers no longer functional. This is its last year. I may go with a BC if shipping to Hawaii doesn't hurt much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by br0nc0xrapt0r View Post
your so full of shit your eyes are brown.
Haha.
Madgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/04/14, 04:45 PM   #9
bronconut73
Contributor
Bronco Guru

How did you do that?

Orlando
Garage
If you are comparing the Best Top/Rampage type of tops to Chucks...well....that ain't really fair....I mean they are both technically soft tops but the similarities end there.
It is like comparing a Corvette to a Focus because technically they're both hatchbacks.

If you are asking you haven't looked too hard at Chucks.
One serious look at that stunning soft top and you will never look back at the typical style again.
I saw an eb about a year ago that had the BC top with the roof rack/basket attched. He even had a canoe attached to the basket. What a beautiful set up.
I haven't been that jealous about anything in years. Haha.

'73, 3.5" sl, XL RS9's, F-250 mounts, Duff long arms, 1" bl, 35" MTZ's, C-4, twin sticked, P.S., built 351W, Exp Serp, F&R Detroits, 4.11's, chromo axles, 11 leaf packs, SuperJoints, Chevy front disc, BC rear disc, BC Vintage a/c, Scat Procar 2K seats, Alpine/Pioneer, Bear, Cobra 148 GTL/Texas Star.
bronconut73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/04/14, 05:17 PM   #10
BLAZEOFGLORY
Contributor

Just Havin Fun

Hudson N.C.

My Gallery
BC top

Save your money and go with the BC top you want regret it. I put mine on week before Townsend drove up there and back I had no regrets buying a BC top, really quiet and tight, NO flapping. After the show and it has warmed up it tighten up more. Pics were took at about 40 degrees
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New top.jpg
Views:	808
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	338203   Click image for larger version

Name:	Side.jpg
Views:	733
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	338204   Click image for larger version

Name:	New Top Rear.jpg
Views:	696
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	338205  

Last edited by BLAZEOFGLORY; 08/15/14 at 05:04 AM..

BLAZEOFGLORY
BLAZEOFGLORY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/04/14, 06:01 PM   #11
Crush
Contributor
Bronco Guru

"It's better to be dead and cool, than alive and uncool."

Greenbottom, WV
eBay: 5.8Bronco

My Gallery
Garage
I have a kayline top. It was given to me my buddy Deano (name on here) Same as rampage only way older. It is blue in color and fits tight as a glove it only has two bad places in it hat I am getting repaired and new sippers put in it. The windows roll up safari style which I love. And the top folds back to the tailgate and has a boot to roll the top up in. I would say the top is 15 to twenty years old and still goin strong

76 Special Decore options are undecided it is a bare canvas. 77 Explorer with Special Decore Group, 5.8,M5OD 5 speed, 3.5" rancho lift and 1" wild horses body lift, cut fenders, original 15x36x15 Dick Cepek Fun Country tires and custom early 80's interior.
Crush is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06/04/14, 06:15 PM   #12
WARDOG

High-Sierra Mountain Man

Graniteville, CA
Garage
Thanks everyone who has input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconut73 View Post
If you are comparing the Best Top/Rampage type of tops to Chucks...well....that ain't really fair....
If you are asking you haven't looked too hard at Chucks....
Sorry 'B-Nut'. Is "Chuck's" the B.C.? I am out here in Kalifornistan and don't know better.

BLAZE _ Gorgeous rig! I didn't think red was a good color for a Bronco until I saw Blaze of Glory. Wow. Time to get it dirty though!
Are the snaps Stainless?

I spoke with B.C. today. They said the tops are made to order with a 4-6 week delivery. Shipping is usually $250 - $275.
I DO like the way the B.C.'s look and like the well made frame. I haul a canoe around and that frame would be beneficial for a canoe rack.
Since I will be keeping the roof section on full-time, folding down and storing the entire soft-top is not a concern for me (BestTop). It's looking like B.C. will get my business after I save a little more. I am hoping for a 8-10 year life for that kind of money though.
WARDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/04/14, 06:50 PM   #13
ghost66
Contributor
Bronco Guru

In my Soul Kitchen

Cave Creek

My Gallery
Garage
BC Top

I ordered my BC top in winter knowing it would take awhile to be made, it did take longer than the 4-6 weeks but well worth it the top is very good quality and looks fantastic. I've had all of the other tops at one time or another and they all leak, flap, and have no structure. If you can afford this top it's the only one to go with. Good news is that if you have to save for it the delivery time is long enough that it makes it possible since they don't bill until it ships. Nothing but thumbs up from me. I bought the tinted windows and put them on at first but it just too hot for me right now they'll go back on come October or November.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bronco top1.jpg
Views:	619
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	338223   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bronco top 2.jpg
Views:	712
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	338224   Click image for larger version

Name:	bronco top 4.jpg
Views:	588
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	338225  

ghost66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/04/14, 10:05 PM   #14
Cactus killer
Sponsor/Vendor

Just because it works dosn't make it right Jason BC Broncos

we now have a full time welder so we have the frames instock so the lead time is about a week or so (fabric part is made to order, yes you can 2 tone it "stroppe colors")

Jason BC Broncos
Cactus killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/04/14, 10:06 PM   #15
BronCowie
Contributor
Bronco Dawg

Hillsboro, OR

My Gallery
Garage
On a tight budget? Rampage is perfect. I've had this top 5 years now, great fit, still solid, not too loud,

and... It is down in 5 - 10 minutes.

DefendOurConstitution!

'69 Sport daily driver since 1993. Manual Steering, Manual Drum Brakes, Manual Choke, Pull For Heat, Alice Turn Signals and much more.
BronCowie is offline   Reply With Quote

ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Chat