• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Which soft top is the best?

CopperRanger

Bronco Guru
I am looking into getting a soft top myself. I had decided on the rampage until I saw post #5, is this correct? I really want to keep the wiper cover and visors. I have a bestop bikini top now, and it allows the wiper cover and visors to be used. I wonder if the rampage top would work with the bestop riser, probably not.

Blue Bastard

Bronco Guru
I am looking into getting a soft top myself. I had decided on the rampage until I saw post #5, is this correct? I really want to keep the wiper cover and visors. I have a bestop bikini top now, and it allows the wiper cover and visors to be used. I wonder if the rampage top would work with the bestop riser, probably not.

No. The best top has a round plastic piece that you slide trough the riser. A rampage uses a flat flap that sort of just clips using tension to hold it in place.

laserfish

Have had the Bestop on mine since 2002. While it is a soft top, none are like a convertible. Takes a little time to get on and off. Like the extra headroom with the Bestop. Have the same water collection issue over the front seats, but the top has held together well for 13 years of being outside in all kinds of weather. Wish the paint job had held up as well.

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have 2 Rampage Tops. Both are the newer Diamond Fabric which seems to be an upgrade from previous that I have had. Has a little more texture and is not shiny.

Easy up and down, good fit with minimal "flapping" at speed.

Lebe

Loc.
Phx
Need the insert doors too

Need a soft top but already have inserts. Thinkin about the Rampage top because I barely clear the garage as it is. Any advice about insert doors with soft top?

Attachments

• 1968 Ford Bronco driver's side n.jpg
    1968 Ford Bronco driver's side n.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 104

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Damn, now I'm not sure which one to get, thanks for the help Beau

There's no dilemma there. Between the two you can only get the Bestop and keep your wiper and cover in the stock configuration.
There, decision made and no sweat. And the Bestop is a very nice top, just like the Rampage. So no real dilemma there either, unless you just really were a hankerin' for a Rampage.
In which case... Dilemma back on!%)

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
So I know their are tons of threads on this but they are all over the place. My questions is who sells the best soft top?

Hopefully now you see why there are tons of threads on this. And other questions just like it about products that all have good things about them, but where one is "best" for someone, and the other is best for someone else.

It's the way of the world around here. Like which is the best roll cage, or best engine size, or best EFI setup, or best suspension height, or best shock absorber, or best traction aiding device, or best... Well, you get the picture.;D:cool:

Hopefully though, after all the answers to your question, you can actually make a decision and be happy with the results. I think the Bestop is a good way to go.
But I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Rampage either!%)

Paul

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
The Can-Back top which the BC top is based on could fold back the front part of the top.

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
I have a kayline. The first top designed like the rampage. Stc bought kayline and rampage bought stc. Very similar but a few small differences. That being said i midified my wiper cover to fit with the rampage type top and a front cage hoop. Here is a pic

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 158

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
Need a soft top but already have inserts. Thinkin about the Rampage top because I barely clear the garage as it is. Any advice about insert doors with soft top?

With the Rampage top, you'll need to address the window frame mount. Using door inserts, I made a plate that bolts to the bedrail to locate the lower window frame. That way, I didn't need to drill through my inset and door jamb to locate the window frame.

Bestop is the only source for soft doors, they are two piece design. They don't seal very well at highway speed. If you can find a decent used pair of the Kayline/STC soft doors, they are much better for daily use.

Mark

Attachments

• IMG_0795.jpg
    IMG_0795.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 147
OP
OP
viper982

viper982

Loc.
Beaverton
Hey Matt, It's been damn near a year; what did you finally come up with?

Lol yes it has! It's funny you ask because I never did get a chance to purchase a soft top but Mike sent me a pm asking if I would like to purchase his! So hopefully that will work out. I am going to go and try and see it tomorrow evening after work

BanditBronco

Any one have a pic of their rampage top in convertible mode? I hate the look of it all jumbled up in the back..

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
We make that boot for about $79 if I remember. Can be colors other than black if you want, but we're limited to whatever colors are on the shelf or you can supply your own if you want something unusual.

Paul

miikee73

Shadetree Guru
Loc.
Aloha
Lol yes it has! It's funny you ask because I never did get a chance to purchase a soft top but Mike sent me a pm asking if I would like to purchase his! So hopefully that will work out. I am going to go and try and see it tomorrow evening after work

I didn't realize that this thread was almost a year old when I PM'ed Viper982 about mine. Glad to see it worked out for both of us. I might regret it next summer...

Jc.av8r

With the Rampage top, you'll need to address the window frame mount. Using door inserts, I made a plate that bolts to the bedrail to locate the lower window frame. That way, I didn't need to drill through my inset and door jamb to locate the window frame.

Bestop is the only source for soft doors, they are two piece design. They don't seal very well at highway speed. If you can find a decent used pair of the Kayline/STC soft doors, they are much better for daily use.

Mark

Why is it so ill-advised to drill those holes on the top of the door jam sills the way the Rampage instructions tell you to?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I think it started from a couple of discussions. First was that water could more easily enter that area and cause rust issues, which people were finally starting to wrap their heads around and get a handle on about that time, and trying to avoid at all costs.
And second was that if you drilled wrong, or your particular Bronco wasn't a perfect match for the parts, or vice versa and the hole ended up slightly off, it was a permanent and not an easily corrected fubar.
And then there are always some people that just don't want to drill holes into their bodies.

At least that's the general feeling I think I remember. It's been awhile since that no-drill thing started.
The Rampage instructions are essentially just hold-overs from the original Kayline instructions from north of 40 years ago. People figured it was time for an update. Thinking beyond what was originally written and hopefully addressing everyone's fears all in one fell swoop.

Paul