• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Freight charges is a good deterrent

tampabronco

Killing some time on a rainy day and doing Christmas shopping for my bronco. Aluminum window cranks $30 and freight is $18. Brought me back to reality....

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Call and ask. I just bought a bunch of small items from Tom's - $36 worth. Their auto system said $16.95 to send. I called and they put it in a $9 Fedex padded envelope. I could have sent it with a $7.25 USPS flat rate small box, but I figured they have handling costs. I always call the vendors and I mostly get a better shipping rate.

If you know other Bronco owners, coordinate to save on shipping. Or order enough to put it on a pallet. I was looking at a roll cage and the shipping quote was crazy from a cage builder. I asked if I could pay them to strap it to a pallet and let me send a shipper to get it. They said no problem. I used Uship.com and got a quote for about 1/3 less than the cage builder's quote.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Killing some time on a rainy day and doing Christmas shopping for my bronco. Aluminum window cranks $30 and freight is $18. Brought me back to reality....

LOL, Always something ain't it...

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Try the shipping cost on a complete headliner. Make sure you are sitting down.

I hear that!
Depending on who's making them though (I don't know at the moment off the top of my head) they may have a good shipping program themselves.
If they don't sell directly to the public, it's possible that the vendor you're buying from can have it drop-shipped from the "manufacturer" (I use the term loosely these days) for a big savings.

It's worth a call and the time it takes to ask a question anyway.
We have some parts we carry that we sell only to local walk-ins, but special order dropshipped so that the customer can save the initial and secondary freight.
The downside is that often as not, the wait is longer for the product to ship.
But that's not always a deal-breaker.

Good luck!

Paul

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
If I'm gonna pay s&h on a small part I usually end up picking thru the catalog and adding more stuff on the order to ease the pain. I just hate paying $15 shipping on a $5 part.

mustanggarage

Contributor
yeah I have been shocked how much shipping is for bronco parts. I have been building mustangs for too long. many of the places I order from have free shipping. building this bronco is going to be an eye, and wallet, opening experience lol

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Think about it though, even if it's $15 for a $15 part, add in your time to go find it locally and or try to make it.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
First do not ever trust the shipping calculators on the Bronco vendor websites they are wildly inaccurate much too often.

If it is a small item ask if it can be sent US Postal Service, they are the shipper best set up for small items and usually cheaper (definitely insure it though).

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
Unfortunately there is not much you can do about it unless you live close to a vendor. Like others have said try to buy as much at one time as you can, and call and speak to a real person and ask if they can help with freight cost. Sometimes they can some times they cant.

I send a lot of parts for my business all over the country and its amazing what it cost to send a box to some locations, hell I had a customer that was only about an hour form me that I sent a UPS package to and it cost $17 I sent the same exact part to a customer that was 6 hours away and it was $20? Its all got to do with the location or the nearest depot and how rural the area is.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
I hear all of you...

Just ordered some Military spec Batt terminals from Waytek. Shipping, plus handling charge, as the order was below minimum, was $1.50 more than the parts themselves.

And don't forget the CA Prop 65 warning that the materials in the product are known to cause cancer!

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Beating a dead horse I know, and I know a couple of my items are floor panels, mercy. It's not like I'm in AK or HI. If a vendor could work out ANY kind of a deal on shipping, they would have the bronco parts market in their back pocket.

20181126_203624_zpsbmvvpmae.jpg

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I dont think they profit on shipping, thats what it cost to ship something that big, more if your a consumer.

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
Beating a dead horse I know, and I know a couple of my items are floor panels, mercy. It's not like I'm in AK or HI. If a vendor could work out ANY kind of a deal on shipping, they would have the bronco parts market in their back pocket.

20181126_203624_zpsbmvvpmae.jpg

JBG is a 500-mile, 7-hour round trip from my house and with current gas prices it would cost me around $60, so if I needed bulky stuff I'd go that route. Who's closest to you Okie?

bronco loco

It never ends
Loc.
Long Island New York
Overall the shipping prices from the continental USA are high. I have been purchasing parts for my 1986 FJ62 from Japan and shipping charges along with the price of parts themselves are lower than here. Megazip also has 10%off parts all the time. Took advantage of 14% off.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-11-27 at 8.13.28 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-11-27 at 8.13.28 AM.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 19
  • Screen Shot 2018-11-27 at 8.16.43 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-11-27 at 8.16.43 AM.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 23
  • Screen Shot 2018-11-27 at 8.26.24 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-11-27 at 8.26.24 AM.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 22

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
JBG is a 500-mile, 7-hour round trip from my house and with current gas prices it would cost me around $60, so if I needed bulky stuff I'd go that route. Who's closest to you Okie?

JBG is 1040..........
Tom's is 1804........
Wildhorses is 1597...........
Duff's is 924...........
CJ Pony LV, NV is .........1127
CJ Pony Harrisburg is 1311..........
BC Broncos(rarely have what I need) is 529.......

Jolly Roger

If ordering big items you can save a lot on shipping if you or a friend has a business with a loading dock or fork lift that it can be delivered to.

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
JBG is 1040..........
Tom's is 1804........
Wildhorses is 1597...........
Duff's is 924...........
CJ Pony LV, NV is .........1127
CJ Pony Harrisburg is 1311..........
BC Broncos(rarely have what I need) is 529.......

Dang man, you're in the middle of nowhere!;D