• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Whats the Best Year Early Bronco

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
The options on the '77 and '76 models may be nice if you want them.
My opinion:

Automatic? No thanks.
Power steering? I'm using bigger tires than recommended for the OEM power steering.
The Y steering linkage? Nice until you lift it much, see big tires above.
Power brakes? Prefer hydroboost, see big tires above.
AC? With the top off what's the point?
Disk brakes? Okay, but there are other ways to get those and then you don't knock wheel weights off.
Fuel doors? I have an early Bronco because I don't want 'modern looking'.

/my opinion.

Best is the one that fits what you want.

OP asks what was the most sought after year, and why, from the dealer that year is how I read that. You could do all those things you mentioned to any 66-77. None of them came with big tires, like above lol. :)

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
OP asks what was the most sought after year, and why, from the dealer that year is how I read that. You could do all those things you mentioned to any 66-77. None of them came with big tires, like above lol. :)

So then what is the answer?
The 1966?
The 1977?

If this is a demographic research there is an answer.

But all I see given is opinions.
Everyone saying which one they personally like and why.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
I was just saying that it looks like you based everything off big tires...the other posts didnt, and stated what they liked about particular years or models. There's no correct answer to what the OP asked.

chuckyb

Contributor
Ranch Hand bracket original color

Hi Paul - For your consideration, a guru previously advised me here that original finish on the ranch hand bracket is "dull cadmium"....

I finally have one of those myself!
I think they were galvanized, but I've seen them painted too. My own was rusting a bit and looking a bit funky so I painted it a close match for the body. Now I'm not so sure I like the painted as much as the old patina'd silver and rust!
Should have just clear coated it like I'd intended originally.

Since I'm running small tires too, I'm thinking about actually using it instead of keeping it as a conversation piece. The stock one rattles so bad and I don't have time to mess with it like I did my first one. Figure one way to get rid of the rattle is to swing it over and bolt it down!

Yeah, Chucky. Maybe it happened. Just never saw or heard of it myself, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen.
The spare tire carriers were an option several ways pretty much from the beginning. Not sure when the full swing-away rear was offered, but pretty sure too that it was near the beginning.
Be interesting to know what they meant about the electric wipers exactly though.

Thanks for pointing it out. Now we have something else to dig into!

Paul

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
OP's question is like askin what came first the chickin or tha egg%)

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I was just saying that it looks like you based everything off big tires...the other posts didnt, and stated what they liked about particular years or models. There's no correct answer to what the OP asked.

all opinion mostly.. It's all good

Bickster

I find it more interesting that there are so few meaningful differences in a model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
i don't know but I'm partial to my 68. last year of the fold down windshield (unless you got an early 69), removable door frames, kid of the ultimate safari/off road vehicle