• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

My tire leak is the Bronco's fault?

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Next time I go into any service place I'm going to dress like a dude and see what happens.

Once I asked a guy in Home Depot if they had a woodworking planar and he took me to the cheap pink "ladies" tool sets. That was the first time I've ever complained to a manager for being treated like a dick just because I didn't have one.

Maybe because he needed one ....right %);D

patterdale

Bronco Guru
I can't stand sexist bastards. I've been married for over 30 yes to a woman who has worked her way up from the bottom in the federal farm program. If she didn't retire she'd be a state conservationist. Can't count the number of dumb shits that have tried to pull crap on her over the years. Burns my ass like a flame a couple of feet high.

OP
OP
Ksm

Ksm

Bronco Guru
I believe it!

My Mom was a shop teacher her whole life. There wasn't a single other female in the industrial arts field at the time. It wasn't easy but she was a strong one.

patterdale

Bronco Guru
I believe it!

My Mom was a shop teacher her whole life. There wasn't a single other female in the industrial arts field at the time. It wasn't easy but she was a strong one.

Thank God for these strong knowledgeable women who blaze the trail for other women who have no clue why it is easier to bust the glass ceiling today than it was a few years ago.

OP
OP
Ksm

Ksm

Bronco Guru
What exactly do I measure if I want to order new correct length valve stems? From the outside surface of the tire up through the hub cap? How far past the hub cap should it extend?

I apologize if this is a stupid question but I have to special order them and want to get it right he first time.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Curious as to why they have to be special ordered? Your tire shop should have a huge selection of lengths to choose from, unless you just want the exact length that came with the bronco originally.

OP
OP
Ksm

Ksm

Bronco Guru
Curious as to why they have to be special ordered? Your tire shop should have a huge selection of lengths to choose from, unless you just want the exact length that came with the bronco originally.

When I asked them to put on the correct length they said they didn't carry that size. That's why they put on the extension pieces. But the extension piece is leaking so I'd rather have the correct length installed and not mess with the extenders anymore.

I'm using the tire place that I bought the tires from (Discount Tire). Should I just go someplace else? I honestly can't tell if I'm getting dicked around here.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
I order my tires off the internet and take them to a tire shop at a farmers grain COOP that's about 20 miles away. So maybe they just carry a bigger selection since they're remote.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
I'll measure the one on my spare in the back of my 66' u14 this evening.........not sure if a 66' hub cap sets the same distance away from the wheel as the other years or not though.

OP
OP
Ksm

Ksm

Bronco Guru
I'll measure the one on my spare in the back of my 66' u14 this evening.........not sure if a 66' hub cap sets the same distance away from the wheel as the other years or not though.

Thank you! This is my hub style:

Attachments

• 994434_10202857228381297_900636942_n.jpg
    994434_10202857228381297_900636942_n.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 72

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Keri I'd write a complaint to their corporate. from what I've been told from a trusted source you will like the out come.

just sucks you have to do that and deal with this. they should be delighted to get you what ever you need with a smile and not pull any BS.

OP
OP
Ksm

Ksm

Bronco Guru
Keri I'd write a complaint to their corporate. from what I've been told from a trusted source you will like the out come.

just sucks you have to do that and deal with this. they should be delighted to get you what ever you need with a smile and not pull any BS.

Good advice, I'll do that.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
KSM I'd go with slowleaks measurements since he has the same wheel and hubcap as you, I hate to chance the 66' hub cap being a different distance. They sell those Slime valve stems at Walmart too.

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
Kerri, I don't know about your tire place but some will only install stuff they sell you or, if they will install your purchased parts, they will not guarantee anything. You may want to let them know ahead of time that you need 2.5 inch stems and ask if they can get them or if you can supply them. If they act like d*cks about it then just go somewhere else......

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma

what really sucks is this particular vendor has wowed me in the past and has bent over backwards and done things that I know cost them money. Does go to show the guy running things at a particular location can ruin far more then they bring in, and if complaints aren't brought to the right person, they get to just continue being a dick.

I'm an anal retentive ass about any auto repair shop, did it too long for a living I guess, nothing pisses me off more than taking something to the professionals and going home to fix their mess:mad:

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru

In these days of the internet the smart companies know that the saying "A happy customer tells three people, an unhappy customer tells 3,000 people" is pretty close to the truth.

The companies that don't learn that?
The smart companies buy their remains.

bteutsch

Usually tire shops stock a short size stem and a longer stem. I have the shorter length stems on mine because I didn't plan on the hubcaps at first. I used extensions on mine but one did leak.. Had to replace that one already. Shouldn't be a be deal no matter where you take it. I used to work for Gateway tire here in town, they would swap those out at no charge to get your future business, same with flat repair.

Tom Dummer

Loc.
Scappoose, Or
They carry that size. They just didn't have any in stock. Don't let them tell you it's a special order or anything. It wont cost any more than a standard size.

stout22

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Athens, AL
Reading thru this thread and I can picture a bunch of KSMs Bronco brothers showing up at this shop.