• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Baja Adventure w/Broncos -- Interest?

coachbarnes

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
I'm seriously considering putting together a small group of Bronco enthusiasts who want to explore Baja in their EB's. I'll be in a '74 Baja Edition. This would be a family friendly adventure. Here's my thoughts at this point;

Timing - April '18. Would try to coordinate around the NORRA 1000 so we could potentially participate/spectate in a start or finish. I think the trip is about a 10-12 day journey.

Route -- We would either plan a group border crossing a TJ, or over near Yuma.
This would depend on where most of the group is coming from. Thinking something along the lines of the Trail of Missions that Desert Assassins does, but spending as much time running beaches on both sides (Sea of Cortez and Pacific).

Lodging -- Little to zero camping. Would work with locals to secure housing along our route.

Support -- Would plan at least 1 chase truck w/trailer that would carry spares, tools, supplies and have a trailer "just in case". Would also contract with a local "guide" to drive the truck and take care of logistics while in Baja. Will also reach out to the local Bronco clubs in Baja -- they are a great group and would be terrific hosts for us.

Costs -- I'm thinking there would be a shared costs of about $1k per vehicle to cover shared expenses (chase truck, guide, etc.). Everyone would pay individually for lodging/meals/fuel.

Commitment -- Only people who are interested in having fun, having a fully prepared vehicle and are total team players would be welcome on this trip. We aren't "racing" Baja, so the wheeling will be mild but your vehicle will need to be trail worthy and capable of putting a couple thousand miles on it. I know they break, so we will be prepared for that. But it shouldn't be because of a lack of preparation.

I think the ideal number for an adventure like this would be 6-10 vehicles. Right now I'm trying to get a feel for the level of SERIOUS interests there would be in an adventure like this. If you think you have an interest, let me know. Also interested in other ideas about the trip.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
WoW is all I can say that would be so Cool.. Definitely interested in a future opportunity, but not this year.

You're a good man Putting that together.

ENJOY! I'm sure you'll get lots of takers.

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey Scott, great idea. At this point I believe we are going to participate in the NORRA event in 2018 so I wouldn't be able to go. However, I hope the trip works out as I'd sure like to do it in the future. Pretty much the coolest Bronco trip I can imagine! Mark

OP
OP
coachbarnes

coachbarnes

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
Hey Scott, great idea. At this point I believe we are going to participate in the NORRA event in 2018 so I wouldn't be able to go. However, I hope the trip works out as I'd sure like to do it in the future. Pretty much the coolest Bronco trip I can imagine! Mark

Several of the guys who I'd love to make this trip with will be participating in the race! Hopefully we can find a nice group that is up for an adventure like this. If not, I might be making a solo journey -- not my first choice! lol

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Maybe if we can get a class win Randy will retire and we will all join you in 2019! My 68 should be roadworthy by then. And I'd donate my chase truck for the adventure!

mp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Austin, TX
Had the same instinct after following this years Trail of Missions and thinking "I could do that in a Bronco." Alas, my Baja (and my son) will not be ready until 2019, so I hope this becomes a yearly adventure.

OP
OP
coachbarnes

coachbarnes

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
Sounds fun!!!

It will be a blast! We will plan side excursions like snorkeling, kayaking, fishing, etc.. based on what people want to do. Baja is fun, beautiful and safe. Here are some pics of some of the places we will go.

Attachments

• bahia-de-san-felipe.jpg
    bahia-de-san-felipe.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 88
  • Costa Baja Homes in La Paz.jpg
    Costa Baja Homes in La Paz.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 89
  • el-arco-de-cabo-san-lucas.jpg
    el-arco-de-cabo-san-lucas.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 84
  • ensenada_city_659-62.jpg
    ensenada_city_659-62.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 87
  • Hotel California.jpg
    Hotel California.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 80
  • La-Paz-3564023762-L.jpg
    La-Paz-3564023762-L.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 79
  • Lapaz1.jpg
    Lapaz1.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 75
  • todos-santos-20151129.jpg
    todos-santos-20151129.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 76
OP
OP
coachbarnes

coachbarnes

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO

I think we are going to plan our kick off for contingency day in Ensenada so we can meet up with you guys before we make our own path to Cabo!

Baja71

Bronco Guru
Wow! Trip of a lifetime. How are you going to insure your vehicles for this?

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
I would so like to make this trip, too many irons in the fire for me and the fam.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Sure would be cool if you guys could have this coincide at least partially when we're racing down there.

The La Paz club would be over the moon if a caravan like yours rolled into town! Be sure to coordinate with Beltran Sam.

Todd Z.

Broncitis

MEB Founder
Looks like fun!

I'm trying to convince my dad he needs this on his bucket list. ;)

Would love to run that in the Balloon Chaser Ambulance and another Bronco we're doing some mods on now.

If we can do it, I'd have 2-3 spots on our trailer from PA to the meeting point and back that could help anyone from the East Coast considering this.

Bukin 67

Bronco Abuser
All I can say for anyone considering doing this 'someday', do what it takes to make it happen! You've got many months to prepare and chances like this are very rare. If you don't jump on this opportunity it may not come around again. There's a better chance that there won't be a trip the following year than there will be one.

We've started threads in the past for a trip like this but the stars never lined up quite right. Now you've got someone organizing a trip just for Broncos who not only has Baja experience, but also knows and owns Broncos. I got invited tot he Trail of Missions but it was more than 4x what this will cost you (so is racing lol) so think of the trip as an investment in your bucket list. It will be a trip you'll talk about for the rest of your life. Make some memories!

OP
OP
coachbarnes

coachbarnes

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
Sure would be cool if you guys could have this coincide at least partially when we're racing down there.

The La Paz club would be over the moon if a caravan like yours rolled into town! Be sure to coordinate with Beltran Sam.

Todd Z.

We are planning our Day 1 to be at contingency. Maybe we can convince the NORRA guys to give us a parking spot next to the Bronco racers! ;-)

I've reached out to the Baja Sur EB group - I definitely want them involved -- I love those guys!

OP
OP
coachbarnes

coachbarnes

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
Looks like fun!

I'm trying to convince my dad he needs this on his bucket list. ;)

Would love to run that in the Balloon Chaser Ambulance and another Bronco we're doing some mods on now.

If we can do it, I'd have 2-3 spots on our trailer from PA to the meeting point and back that could help anyone from the East Coast considering this.

Make it happen! But I'm not guaranteeing that the Balloon Chaser will make it back to PA! It might mysteriously find it's way to CO! LOL Seriously -- that would be SO cool to have it on this trip! One of my top 3 fav Broncos (behind Pony Express and my grandfathers).

OP
OP
coachbarnes

coachbarnes

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
All I can say for anyone considering doing this 'someday', do what it takes to make it happen! You've got many months to prepare and chances like this are very rare. If you don't jump on this opportunity it may not come around again. There's a better chance that there won't be a trip the following year than there will be one.

We've started threads in the past for a trip like this but the stars never lined up quite right. Now you've got someone organizing a trip just for Broncos who not only has Baja experience, but also knows and owns Broncos. I got invited tot he Trail of Missions but it was more than 4x what this will cost you (so is racing lol) so think of the trip as an investment in your bucket list. It will be a trip you'll talk about for the rest of your life. Make some memories!

Thanks Randy -- There will always be reasons to not do a trip like this, and I get it. For me, I'm not going to be one of those guys taking my last breath wishing I would have taken more adventures in my life! We'll see you down there, Amigo!