• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need strap for 77 gas tank

michahoov

Previous owner added homeade receiver hitch that is god awful ugly, and exhaust tips that are about 6" too long. I want to cut the hitch off, but it is the only thing holding the gas tank up. I can't seem to find a strap listed at the vendors for a 77. I know the 77 had a larger (and plastic) tank, but will the strap from earlier years work? If I need to fabricate one, is it just a single strap, or more than one, and does anything go between the strap and the tank. I plan to eventually replace with larger aftermarket tank and new ehhaust, but one thing at a time.
Thanks for any help. I cant wait to get the hitch off and cut the tailpipes back.

Attachments

• 2012_0513051220120013.jpg
    2012_0513051220120013.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 24
  • 2012_0513051220120014.jpg
    2012_0513051220120014.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 22

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
a 77 had a strap ontop of the tank and the lower pan is what really holds it in. totally unique set up compared to the earlier years

OP
OP
michahoov

michahoov

a 77 had a strap ontop of the tank and the lower pan is what really holds it in. totally unique set up compared to the earlier years

What is the "pan". Is it like a skidplate? Mine is just sitting on a piece of thick rubber resting on the hitch which I want to eleminate. Are these parts available, or is there any other alternative. Anybody have any pictures of the stock 77 setup?

Bronc937

I just cleaned and replaced the sending units in both tanks of my '77. I'll take some pics for you to show you what the parts look like when I get out to the shop.

The plastic tank basically sits inside the skid pan then there's a metal straps that goes over the top of the tank and the tension from it holds it in place. From there, the pan with the tank in it, mounts up to the underside of the frame. You can buy a replacement pan from any of the vendors for about $150.00. I don't know about the strap but I think it would be easy to fabricate one.

OP
OP
michahoov

michahoov

Thanks bronc937 and Nick. I saw the skid plate listed at the vendors but didn't realize that it held the tank up. Is there any rubber or anything that goes between the tank and the skid plate before you strap it in?
How hard is it to replace the sending unit. I don't know how brittle the plastic is on the tank and don't want to risk breaking it.

Bronc937

Here's some pics of the parts. The sending unit and fuel pickup are held in by a screw on collar. Mine came off by hand. Super simple to replace. Don't be surprised if the original one is half disintegrated. If it isn't, getting a new one and cleaning out the tank is well worth it. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339365737.998004.jpg

OP
OP
michahoov

michahoov

Thanks for the help guys. I'll have to decide if I want to get the parts for this one, or just make it work until I'm ready to replace with the larger aftermarket tank.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Is yours a plastic tank still? Or has it been changed to a steel one?

Paul

OP
OP
michahoov

michahoov

Is yours a plastic tank still? Or has it been changed to a steel one?

Paul

Still plastic. Looks to be in pretty good shape but it is 35 years old, so I imagine it is somewhat brittle. I'll probably replace it soon.

Bronc937

I'll bet other than a good cleaning inside and out, and a new sending unit, your tank is just fine. The only benefit you get with a new one is larger capacity. Then you have a tank that hangs closer to the ground.