• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Aero Fuel Tank Install - Venting Question

707Bronk

So, after having problems with the stock tank I decided to get a 23gal tank from Aero.

It arrived and it doesn't have enough ports. It has a main fill port, main fill vent port, one feed port and a return port (for EFI).

I am still running a carb at the moment, and it looks like I need a port for the return line from the vapor canister (behind the drivers seat).

I plan on running the return line on the tank (for EFI) to the vapor canister.

But, for the vapor return line I am not sure of.

Can I just tee into the main fill vent tube and call it good?

Do I need any check valves anywhere?

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I remember BC or WH sold a steel sleeve you could slip into your main fill hose after cutting it. This sleeve/tube had a small bung pipe installed on it. This was used to retro fit fuel injections return line. So you could definitely "T" into your vent hose if you can run the fuel injection return line to the main hose.

Keek

Loc.
Halstead Kansas
Wow, 23 gallons of pushmoline?

If I ever have a problem with the stock tank, 23 gallons of motionlotion at one fillup would be one heckuva a range extender!

Keep us posted on how well this turns out.

68rockcrawler

Bronco Guru
I remember BC or WH sold a steel sleeve you could slip into your main fill hose after cutting it. This sleeve/tube had a small bung pipe installed on it. This was used to retro fit fuel injections return line. So you could definitely "T" into your vent hose if you can run the fuel injection return line to the main hose.

Summit Racing has the "T" you're talking about too. Here is the link:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mor-65385/overview/
I used this "T" when I went EFI so I could use my stock tank.

OP
OP
707Bronk

707Bronk

I was thinking of just Tee-ing into the main fill "vent" hose as opposed to the main fill hose.

Is there a reason why it would be better to Tee into the main fill hose?

guidoverduci

Loc.
NorCal
Thread revival... I have this same issue but I never had any of the charcoal canister / vent stuff on my bronco. I’m getting ready to go EFI and I’ve got the return port like the OP, but how would it vent?

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Thanks guys. Which line did you tee into for the vent?

For my Aero tanks... it was the rollover valve port on top of the tank that goes to the CC.

The EFI return line can use the 5/8" fitting I listed for the fill line vent hose. That could free up the port that you are using now for the return, to be used as a vent.

guidoverduci

Loc.
NorCal
Ok fellas, I'm just getting around to installing this setup this weekend. I just want to make sure I got it understood. I've got the aero tank. I've got 4 lines into the tank... FEED, RETURN, Fill Neck, and Fill Vent. I'm swapping from carb setup to EFI. My plan is to use the suggested Tee fitting and install on the Fill Vent line, then have my EFI return line go into that. Then I will use the actual RETURN line on the tank as a vent. Does that sound right?

I've been having venting issues with my carb setup which I think I've got squared away, but I believe this is how I have to run my future EFI setup. Thanks!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Sounds about right. In fact, are you sure the return line fitting is actually for a return line, and not a vent to begin with? Could be either I suppose, depending on how the tank was ordered, but originally it would have been for a vent on a factory tank.
So in your case Aero did not put a vent vent hole in the top, and include the anti-rollover vent fitting? Did you request it be eliminated?

Anyway, just questions from curiosity. Your scenario should be just fine.
And you need a vent on a '75 anyway, since it takes a non-vented gas cap. So unless you have drilled a hole in the cap for venting, or somehow managed to get a pre-'70 vented cap to fit, your idea of the return fitting for a vent is excellent.

What type of venting scheme are you going to be installing? Just a filtered hose? Or a full charcoal canister style evap setup?

Paul

guidoverduci

Loc.
NorCal
Hi Paul

It’s funny you should ask, I’ve had some crazy venting issues. Most of which you’ve helped me in the past. First, yes, it’s a return line. The guys at Aero labeled them. My original issue was I was getting excess pressure in the tank, i.e... not venting well. After driving it a bit, I’d get a rush of air when I opened the gas cap. First I drilled hole in the cap. It seemed to work ok for a bit. Then it started doing it again. Then I remembered I capped the return line. I assumed there was a vent in the top like you suggested. But since I had this pressure issue, I’m not sure. So I pulled the cap of the return line and it seems to be acting fine. And now, I’m going to be running the setup I mentioned above.

I don’t have any original venting equip on it, just the aero tank.