• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Sniper, Atomic, Fitech? Lets beat a dead horse!

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
For those that have set some up recently, what A/F ratio were they trying to get you to achieve?

Paul

My 600PA setup came rich out of the box and with the help of the FiTech Owners Group on FB I got everything dialed in and it runs just as good as my Mustang injection did. Headers, zero cats and one muffler and it smells great!

Guess I should have been clear, I was driving behind a guy with the underhoid fuel thing that kept overheating and shutting down.

I have been behind many carbs they stink...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

That command center sucks and I would NEVER put it under the hood of an EB as they are practically ovens.

Well a it turns out the Fitech will not work with a stock duraspark. Finally got the one in the shop running and it hunts for idle. Called tech support and they said it won't work with duraspark. Doesn't say anything about that in there literature. Looks like its going back in the box unless the owner wants to pay up for a new digital ignition. Oh and tech support was augmentative and arrogant.

You don't need anything digital - leave FiTech for warranty work and get on the FiTech Owners Group on FB and get some of the best, immediate support out there. I'm running a 351W, but I simply bought an affordable Summit Branded distributor for fairly little money. Works great-

Not sure what to do with this. Fitech says it won’t work because it’s not getting a good tach single because the duraspark is not a digital system. The keep telling me to do the same things over and over and I keep telling them it’s doing the same hunt for idle no matter what. It’s throwing codes everywhere but they keep changing. I’ve got a loaner hei dizzy I’m gonna drop in for kicks and giggles. I’m really not impressed with fitech or their tech guys. I’ve talked 3 of them and all have been borderline rude.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FiTech Owners Group on FB - TONS of info to check against and friendly people who answer fast. They help people out every single day -

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Which FiTech are you trying to install with the Duraspark?

I have a points style in mine yet and the read out of idle rpm's is all over the board so I think my learning curve is horrendously long as the EFI doesn't know where idle is. I picked up a Duraspark to hopefully get my FiTech 400 idle readings more consistent.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
...leave FiTech for warranty work and get on the FiTech Owners Group on FB and get some of the best, immediate support out there.

FiTech Owners Group on FB - TONS of info to check against and friendly people who answer fast. They help people out every single day -

Sounds like good advice. Wonder if the FiTech guys will actually take it and listen to what's being said on FB so that they can give the best, most up-to-date info they can?

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
...I have a points style in mine yet and the read out of idle rpm's is all over the board so I think my learning curve is horrendously long as the EFI doesn't know where idle is. I picked up a Duraspark to hopefully get my FiTech 400 idle readings more consistent.

I think it's time to change over to electronic ignition ASAP then. Not that it's impossible to get EFI to work with points. It's just not happy doing it and certainly not when the points system is older and "loose" and not in overall good shape.
I don't think there is such a thing as a learning curve when the input signal is not consistent. When the input is garbled, the output will always be as well.
When something runs well under those conditions, it's a simple fluke/accident of nature and won't last long enough to enjoy.

So get that rock steady signal of a new distributor and an electronic trigger.

How's the rest of the electrical system? Up to date and in very good shape? Lots of additional grounds that did not come from the factory on EB's originally?

Paul

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
Sounds like good advice. Wonder if the FiTech guys will actually take it and listen to what's being said on FB so that they can give the best, most up-to-date info they can?

Paul

They used to listen to us on the FB site but got into a pissing match with us as we were providing better trouble shooting and some of the guys have pushed the units far past what FiTech intended with outstanding results. Since then, FiTech support has become very convoluted and arrogant. I still use them because of the FB support site and have learned a ton more on there than I did with actual FiTech support. If I had the time to start learning another system all over again I would consider Holley but I don't see FiTech going anywhere and because I have learned their system, still learning in fact, but I have a decent grasp on it now for our applications and the fact I have several units out there working great along with my personal one, I am staying put for now.

Rocking Bronc66

I've been running a Holley Sniper on a mild 351w for just under a year... it's fantastic on the street! I get about 2 mpg better everywhere I go. Offroad has been another story, lots of heat soak issues on hot days. My truck avenger died less often while bouncing and crawling around. I have had the o2 sensor fail and IAC valve fail.
I wish I had gone with factory efi. Currently I am planing on sticking with the Holley dispite the problems, hoping after the bugs are worked out I will have a very nice budget efi setup.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Interesting about the heat soak - what is the fuel system like? These unit have a return fuel system, so it isn't like the fuel is sitting there dead headed getting hot.

Rocking Bronc66

I'm running the fuel pump from the Holley master install kit with a return into an aero tank. Every time it's happened I've been wheeling on a hot day, engine is running around 190 to 200 degrees with inner fenders cut out and a big electric fan. Every time it's happened the fuel pump won't turn on and the Holley monitor won't turn on, fuel pump is cool to the touch. After 15 to 20 mins with the hood up you can get it to fire right up and go again or pop the hood, dip a rag in the cooler and place it right against the ECU and fire up in a few minutes.
Holley techs tell me that the ECU can not get heat soaked... but they also say that nothing else controls the fuel pump and hand held... separate circuits

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
well i will give Fitech a positive word. they did stand up and warranty their product even after i was told i voided it since a electrical plug was changed. had a ECU fail after about 30 min of run time. i was very surprised when a box arrived and the unit was in there. reinstalled and it's running again... go figure.