• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

I may have painted myself in a corner, now I need steps?

sticknstring

I'm about 2/3s the way through my 1968 Bronco frame off restoration. I've installed a 2.5 inch lift, a 1inch body lift and 31 inch tires. Today I reunited the body and the frame and realized its a long, long ways from the ground to the rocker panel/ floor of the truck. I'm going to need steps of some type. I'm looking and the choices seem to be limited. I really don't want to loose the auxiliary tank. I'm trying to remember if there is any room between the frame and the auxiliary tank. I haven't budgeted for power steps and it seems they eliminate the auxiliary tank anyhow. Are wire rope steps an option here? Is anyone using them? Are there options I'm overlooking? Thanks

OP
OP
S

sticknstring

I understand your point but the chassis/running gear is complete with the motor, drive train and exhaust. The seats are not in and it has no roll bar or top, but I'm only planning on a canvass top so I think most of the weight is on the rear end. the hood and windshield are still off though.

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
How tall are you? Just curious because I have the same set up but I'm 6'4". For a daly driver I like this set up.

Attachments

• CAM01141.jpg
    CAM01141.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 166

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey. I'm sort of in the same boat. 3.5sl 1bl and at least 33's. I figure the procedure will be that right hand goes on steering wheel, right heel on floor, right cheek on seat edge, do an all body kegel to get in.....

Hank

Last edited:

sk1nw4lk3r

I'm about 2/3s the way through my 1968 Bronco frame off restoration. I've installed a 2.5 inch lift, a 1inch body lift and 31 inch tires. Today I reunited the body and the frame and realized its a long, long ways from the ground to the rocker panel/ floor of the truck. I'm going to need steps of some type. I'm looking and the choices seem to be limited. I really don't want to loose the auxiliary tank. I'm trying to remember if there is any room between the frame and the auxiliary tank. I haven't budgeted for power steps and it seems they eliminate the auxiliary tank anyhow. Are wire rope steps an option here? Is anyone using them? Are there options I'm overlooking? Thanks

I have the same setup, on 33" tires... I love the ride height. Like someone else said, I also am 6'4, but my wife is 5'3 and she can hop in readily enough. Just grab onto the cage and hoist yourself in!

charlie6976

Loc.
Grand Coulee WA

Platform Shoes. :eek:;D

OP
OP
S

sticknstring

Thanks for talking me down, I'll keep applying parts and wait to see where I end up. This is a GREAT site!

AxlesUp

Loc.
Collierville TN
3.5" SL, 1" BL and 35's. I welded grab handles onto the roll bar to pull myself (and passengers) into it.

I thought I remember seeing someone with rope steps but can't seem to find the picture now...

mine has seat belt webbing on it. does that count?

Attachments

• DSCF1935.jpg
    DSCF1935.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 74

661buster1963

Drink milk, eat your veggies, take your Hulk Hogan vitamins, your probably still growing enough to make it all work.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You must be a young'un buster. You forgot spinach!;D
That way you can use your Popeye arms to pull the Bronco down to you instead.

Paul