• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

A few ZF install questions

barronj

Bronco Guru
Need a shifter handle for my ZF- what are my options?
Will the shifter from any manual trans, 85 & newer (ford truck), work for me?

I have the T-handle (stock 68) shifter for my transfer case, this looks like it will be relocated. Any tips on this? I just can't see how it would stay in the same place & not interfere w/ the new 5spd. Do I re-use the plastic housing/cover, or do I move to a rubber shifter boot design now?

The PO really hacked up the trans tunnel cover when they installed the Hurst 3spd floor shifter. I had the tub painted about 2 years ago, i guess I'll have to put new trans tunnel metal on, weld it, cut it, and paint it with a detail gun?

My ZF showed up shrink wrapped in plastic, tied down to a pallet, and begging for a cleaning.

hucklburry rev2

I think your gonna have to buy a zf shifter. Some junkyards sell them seperate, gotta ask. I think Ebay has some less than $100 maybe. I'm assuming you need the part on top of the trans and the shifter handle.

hmh800

I made my own shifter. Used some square stock to mate up to the stub on the trans, and 5/8" rod bent how I needed it for the rest.
Yes you need to move the tcase shifter. I got creative and used the old shift linkage and was able to keep the shifter on the flat part of the tunnel. If you're using BC Broncos kit and bracket I think the shifter would end up back on the sloping part of the tunnel.

OP
OP
barronj

barronj

Bronco Guru
I think your gonna have to buy a zf shifter. Some junkyards sell them seperate, gotta ask. I think Ebay has some less than $100 maybe. I'm assuming you need the part on top of the trans and the shifter handle.

Shifter handle is all I need. Probably didn't clarify.

Hozr

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Oly, WA
The stock shifter handle kind of sucks (imo). It sits in an odd place, it hits the dash in 1-3-5 and the boot is stretched REALLLLLLLY tight. I'm hoping to have a stainless shifter made to match my twinstick. hopefully.

OP
OP
barronj

barronj

Bronco Guru
Most people put some degree of bend in it, right?

How would yours look?

I would rathe make one, than buy one.

I'll probably end up with either a cue ball or a 9 ball for a shifter. I once made a beer tap handle out of a 9 ball for my beer fridge, since I prefer 9 ball when playing pool.

wallaceb

The stock shifter works ok. Heres what I did to get it where I wanted it and away from the dash.

046.jpg

Desert Thrasher

Bronco Guru
I made my own out of some bar stock. I milled a flat spot to bolt it to the shifter nub out of the trans. But you could just as well use a grinder. I bent it up by using a torch to heat it up. It clears my twin sticks and is in a comfortable position for all gears. I used a ball peen hammer as the shift handle just because I had one laying around. I have since painted it hammerite silver and it looks and works great.

Attachments

• ZF Hammerhead Shifter001.jpg
    ZF Hammerhead Shifter001.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 46
  • ZF Hammerhead Shifter002a.JPG
    ZF Hammerhead Shifter002a.JPG
    120.2 KB · Views: 46
  • ZF Hammerhead Shifter003a.jpg
    ZF Hammerhead Shifter003a.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 61

maverickconner

I found one of the longer old hurst shifter handles, it was the flat tappered stock. With the boot is was chrome and cool.

maverickconner

ebay has one for $20 model 7236 hurst shifter handle, there is one of the truck shifters if you have an oversized console also, but think it is like $70

Hozr

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Oly, WA
I bent up a temporary shifter from a Full Size Bronco transfercase shifter. I plan on making a SS shifter to match my twinsticks later on. Just need to get it moving for now.