• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

new blk/chrome door handle plungers sticking

Millar

Contributor
Loc.
Birmingham
Guys,

My old door handles were silky and pure. My new ones worked really well for a week or so but now the thumb plunger sticks flush when pushed in. I have contorted my head inside the inner door panel and lubed all those workings really well, checked for broken parts and have taken power graphite and hit the outside of the handle aeound the plunger. Its better, but it still sticks. Will using the guts from the old handles work in the new ones? Any suggestions? Thanks.

Millar

cs_88

Bronco Guru
When I installed my new handles I remember having a problem as well. I found that with the new handle this small lip was interfering with the plunger. A small amount of filing is a ll it needed and it worked great.

Attachments

• P3210585.jpg
    P3210585.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 110
OP
OP
Millar

Millar

Contributor
Loc.
Birmingham
Thx for the info guys. When I get home tomorrow I will have another go at it.

Thx,

Millar

OP
OP
Millar

Millar

Contributor
Loc.
Birmingham
Update....I switched out the guts from the old handles into the new ones and the doors close/latch/open perfectly, but now once the locks are pushed down, they wont unlock. I am ready to pound an entire bottle of Ambiem, so I need some help. I have crammed my dome in the door for the up close view and checked the rods and clips and everything's looks good. The PO put the doors on and cleaned everything up 5 years ago so it isn't a gunk issue. Plus the locks worked before I swapped out handles. Any advice would be greatful. Putting the old handles back on isnt the advice I was hoping for....ha

Thx,

Millar

OP
OP
Millar

Millar

Contributor
Loc.
Birmingham
That's interesting because the locks don't have anything to do with the handles.

http://www.tomsbroncoparts.com/product/door-latch-drivers-side-66-67-early-ford-bronco-new

I know, so that's why I am stumped. I spoke with Lonny at TBP and he feels the handle rods sit a touch differently an affect the tension on the adjustable rod, which in-turn applies pressure to the entire system and jacks up the ability to unlock. I will back off that adjustable rod a bit and see where that takes me. Thanks for the link, I may be using it before to long.

Millar

1973 Houston

Loc.
Houston
i had the same problem i just used the plunger from the old handles and it was silky smooth. and couldn't even tell i used old ones.. oh damn didn't read all the way though, like mentioned before by cs_88 the angle on that triangle thingy (technical term for it), that the plunger moves up and down is a different angle then stock....look at them side to side, you must use the old ones. or adjust the lock mechanism inside the door.
so basically the only thing i used from the kit is the actual handles.
~ryan

cafirefhtr

I put mine in without any of the old parts and the drivers side works fine, but the passenger side sticks. Tore it apart 3 times adjusting and filing. On the third time with it still sticking I sprayed wd40 on the mechanism and its working perfect. Something to be said for wd

deltarat

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Drew,Ms
If it won't open after locking and unlocking, turn the clip on the rod from the outside handle to the latch. Shorten it by a round or two. it doesn't make sense but it has worked for me over the years. If the rod is too long, it is not letting the door completely unlock.

OP
OP
Millar

Millar

Contributor
Loc.
Birmingham
Thanks for all the suggestions. I am headed back at it now. I hope I will have good news when I return. If so, drinks are on me. If not, drinks are on me.

Thx,

Millar

OP
OP
Millar

Millar

Contributor
Loc.
Birmingham
I took the mech/latch out of the doors to have a closer look. There was a broken spring in the passenger and a really jacked up tab in the driverside. The PO said they worked, but I wonder if they did. Those pesky bastards slowed me down, but I think I have it whipped now if I can find a spring to work. Should have taken them out right out of the gate. I put the stu in stupid on this one.

Millar