• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

bilstein 5100 or ranchos

G

My 68 Bronco is a daily driver and every time I hit a bump on the road it bounces all over the place. It will bounce 3-4 times after every bump. Which shocks would you recommend for this daily driver that will also be able to handle moderate 4-wheeling. Been seeing alot about Bilstein but how do those handle on the street?<br><br>

cracker

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pueblo, Colorado
I have been running the Rancho 9000`s and I like them alot. No help on the Blisteins, as I have never used them. The Rancho`s, being adjustable are perfect for me on and off road. I ahve the in cab remote, so it is easy to adjust them for the conditions.

77BroncoWag

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You better weigh the diff in price 1st then make a descision :)

OP
OP
G

Just a question, when you say it bounces, does it just bounce front to back, like porpoising? (spelling??) Or when you hit a bump does it jump side to side? It does make a diff.<br><br>As far as shocks, I was looking at the 9000s with incab controls, but a friend is trying to convince me to go with the Bilsteins, I hope to try out the bilsteins at Attica in July on someones rig.<br><br>--Jim

rjlougee

Bronco Guru
You can drive right down to Autozone and buy the Bilstiens for about $70 a shock. Most places sell the 9000s at about the same price.<br><br>I don't drive on Bilsteins yet, but am putting them on mine as it nears completion. That based on the opinions of several guys who have run both.<br>Joe

Tenezman

Loc.
Monterey Bay
Do Bilstein's offer an adjustable shock? Are they ordered to specs or all set the same from the factory...I am hearing both good and bad things about the 9000s as some say they get soft pretty quick...I am FINALLY getting to the point where I can get my suspension in order after numerous other odds and ends...Think Ill talk to Paul...Hey Boss302...do you have that number for Shane in Socal so that I can call him and pick his brain on Bilsteins? Thanks again,<br>C

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
[quote author=Tenezman link=board=5;threadid=6873;start=0#48081 date=1026320614]<br>Do Bilstein's offer an adjustable shock? Are they ordered to specs or all set the same from the factory...I am hearing both good and bad things about the 9000s as some say they get soft pretty quick...I am FINALLY getting to the point where I can get my suspension in order after numerous other odds and ends...Think Ill talk to Paul...Hey Boss302...do you have that number for Shane in Socal so that I can call him and pick his brain on Bilsteins? Thanks again,<br>C<br>[/quote]<br><br>The Bilsteins aren't adjustable like a Rancho, but they are "adjustable" by the very nature of their design. The amount of oil flowing through the piston varies depending on shock shaft velocity. The vehicle-specific shocks are probably tuned for that particular car/truck. The generic off-road 5100s all have the same valving. The 6100s/7100s/9100s have valving that can be changed.<br><br>Todd Z.

OP
OP
G

I'm currently using the Rancho RS9000 shocks with the in-cab remote----------AWESOME. You can pick these up at your local Advance Auto Parts (or advanceautoparts.com) for around $60-70'ish. You can adjust them to 1 and ride in a Cadillac or move them to 5 for off-roading.<br><br>Never tried the Bilsteins, but they are good shocks from previous experience in other automobiles --- non of which were 4 wheel drive though :'(

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
I had Rancho 9000's on mine then switched to 6100 series Bilsteins in front. No adjustment of the 9000's could make them ride as well as the Bilsteins, on or off road. You have to experience them back to back with the Ranchos to believe it. Because of the speed sensitive valving, no external adjustment is necessary. I still haven't replaced the rears, but they are getting swapped with the next paycheck, for a pair of 10" travel 5100's.<br><br>The 5100 series Bilsteins are available in travel lengths from 6-1/2" to 14", though for the same travel the longer models tend to be longer than comparable travel Ranchos. As far as I know Bilstein doesn't make stud-mount shocks like the stock EB uses up front, but you can get F250 mounts from BC Broncos for $32 a pair to fix that. That also lets you use a longer shock up front, so the shock no longer limits wheel travel.