• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Can I use washers to angle my manual master cylinder?

G

Can you mount the master cylinder on the firewall using washers on the inner mounting bolt to shim and angle it away from the engine? Has anyone tried this? According to my calculations, 2 .032 washers will angle it approx 2deg, giving me around .200 clearance. Will I have problems with the rod or anything? My EFI 5.0 HO plenum will interfere with the disc brake master cylinder. This only needs to hold up for a few weeks, I'm already collecting stuff to do the Hydroboost converison (like Todd Z.'s). I would like to do the front disk swap this weekend, I think the hydroboost & disk conversion would be more than I could tackle in a weekend, and need to get to work every Monday :).

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
Might work. The risk would be the side load on the piston causing the seal to blow. Messy, and the loss of braking could be inconvenient. But it could last you long enough to do what you need to do. If you do it try to have all your hydroboost ducks in a row beforehand so you minimize the amount of time you drive it that way.<br><br>Just my .02...