• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please post photo's of your stock bumpers painted

gregreed

bumpers

Split the bumpers and added 1-1/4" to the height to hide the 1" body lift. I painted them silver metallic to match the grill and door handles. I have another front bumper that I have done the same modification to accommodate a hidden winch. I will post a pic when done.

Attachments

• IMG_0834.jpg
    IMG_0834.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0965.jpg
    IMG_0965.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_1015.jpg
    IMG_1015.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 53

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
I take it you butt welded it? Were the dimensions of the section you took out the same when you put then ends back on?

Was it hard lining it up and keeping it that way when you welded?

Do you think it an easy task for an amateur welder?

Thanks.

Yes, butt welded. The dimensions match up perfectly. It was not hard to line up - start with tacking it together and cut the tacks if not lined up right and start over. Should be easy for an amateur welder just weld hot so you get good penetration and grind smooth. A thin coat of bondo will make the weld disappear!

Split the bumpers and added 1-1/4" to the height to hide the 1" body lift. I painted them silver metallic to match the grill and door handles. I have another front bumper that I have done the same modification to accommodate a hidden winch. I will post a pic when done.

Interesting solution to hide body lift! That's a new one on me.

omureebe

I did mine to match the secondary color on my 67.

Attachments

• IMG_1909.jpg
    IMG_1909.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1910.jpg
    IMG_1910.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 45
OP
OP
B

BigB

Thats a pretty neat trick.

Love to see the hidden winch. I plan to do that with mine as my current winch plate is able to be bolted to the bottom of the frame rails and winch will sit between.

OP
OP
B

BigB

Yes, butt welded. The dimensions match up perfectly. It was not hard to line up - start with tacking it together and cut the tacks if not lined up right and start over. Should be easy for an amateur welder just weld hot so you get good penetration and grind smooth. A thin coat of bondo will make the weld disappear!

Interesting solution to hide body lift! That's a new one on me.

Thanks and I agree!

OP
OP
B

BigB

OP
OP
B

BigB

It looks like your wheels are not color matched to top and grill or is that just the photo? If so I think it would finish off your Bronco, she is no plain Jane.

The wheels are actually 1974 vintage aluminum wagon wheels.... they are raw aluminum. The top is Wimbledon white.[/QUOTE]

Wow they are pretty clean.

Mac2Night

Bronco Guru
Steel stock bumper in agrent silver (grille color):

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-03-09 at 12.24.44 PM copy.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-03-09 at 12.24.44 PM copy.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 73
OP
OP
B

BigB

Got my bumper from CJ Pont Parts yesterday and just unboxed it today. It fit's over my existing bumpers, which is great.

I will shorten the existing bumpers and also the new one to hide them.

My existing bumpers have 2 serious "eyes" welded to them for pulling. I'm thinking of cutting the eyes off instead of making holes in new bumpers to suit. The eyes are welded to the front face of each bumper.

I'm thinking having the eyes protrude would break up the classic lines of the oem bumper.

On the front I figure I can attach some of those pulling hooks to the top or bottom of frame rails and on the rear I can just use the tow hitch.

What are your opinions?

Howard2x4x4

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Here you go. Wimbledon White painted bumpers. Front shortened 4 inches per side, rear 3 inches per side.

Bumpers were shaved as well. I think shortening the bumpers looks a lot better - especially the front.

Crush has it goin' on. Nicely done, young fella!

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
wouldn't it be easier to cut the ends off instead of the middle? That way you don't have to weld anything and the holes for your bolts remain in the same spot.... just a thought?

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
wouldn't it be easier to cut the ends off instead of the middle? That way you don't have to weld anything and the holes for your bolts remain in the same spot.... just a thought?

You lose the factory ends if you cut them off. 2 cuts outside of the frame rails is more work, yes, but gets the best results and does not affect the bolt holes.