• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Body mounts not on center

t120r

So I repaired my frame about 2 years ago. Bought a Bronco Designs tub and started cursing cause I couldn't bolt it down. So I had the body just laid on there while I did other things. Today I took it off and using string, a square and a measuring tape, I found that the aft 2 mounts are near perfect width-wise, but are 1/4" forward each (according to the BMP frame file I found on here). The next 2 mounts forward are 1/8" inboard each. What a pain. Now I have to mess with this again on a powdercoated frame. ugh.

patrickk1

Loc.
Cambridge
So I repaired my frame about 2 years ago. Bought a Bronco Designs tub and started cursing cause I couldn't bolt it down. So I had the body just laid on there while I did other things. Today I took it off and using string, a square and a measuring tape, I found that the aft 2 mounts are near perfect width-wise, but are 1/4" forward each (according to the BMP frame file I found on here). The next 2 mounts forward are 1/8" inboard each. What a pain. Now I have to mess with this again on a powdercoated frame. ugh.

Have you Checked the holes for the Bronco Design tub to see if they compare to the drawing you found? I wouldn't be surprised if there was variation from bronco to bronco in the frames.

Issues like this is why I don't like powder-coat on frames. Usually if you are going to powder-coat something, the whole thing should be mocked up before hand.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Nothing a little weld in the holes and a hole saw wont fix. Do it right and you wont harm the powder coat outside the body mount line. I would be more worried that the top of the body pad height would be off. You could just egg out the holes too if your not a worrisome person. Just touch the paint.

SevenT

Contributor
Loc.
Southern Colorado
Body Mounts

t120r,

My Bronco Design tub sat down and lined up with my 1970 frame exactly the first time. I know that BD uses a bronco frame as their template for each tub they build. I have no idea why yours is off so much. Best of luck on resolution.

v/r,

SevenT

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

t120r

Oh it's not the broncodesign tub. The holes there are exact woth the drawings i have. I'm off a touch here and there on my frame mounts, so it's compounding. I'll fix it up. Was more just pissed off venting:)

Attac

Contributor
T120r
I built a body cart I could put on my rotisserie from my 1st bronco. Big tall standoffs so I had plenty of room and 3" angle welded to tops to drill my 1/2" holes in to match the bronco frame. Fast forward to next bronco. Front two sets of holes perfect. Last two body mounts in back were off just like yours. I had to make my holes 1" in all of the body mount pads to be able to use it and shift it around. Yea I was thinking my second bronco body was wrong until I measured the frame from the second one. I feel your pain
Chuck

OP
OP
T

t120r

My frame is even a little different than the frame dimension bitmap on here. Not enough to make a huge difference, but enough to bug me. Either way I'm going to fix it all up. Having the tub in the air (hoisted to the rafters) makes checking the hole distances pretty easy. I should have everything fixed up today and the body laid back on. On a side note, this project would be 10x faster if I had kept the body off this whole time.

OP
OP
T

t120r

So I used the cab floor body mounts as the 'datum' line. The rivet and 3 hole centers have to be perfectly in line with each other, so I figured it was the best place to start. I measured backwards from that point and everything looks much better. I just need to remove a skim from the inside of 2 mounts and everything should bolt down nice.