• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

No brakes

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Also some of the lifetime/performance/ceramic/super brake pads be total crap. I drove a friends truck once that was so bad I considered it unsafe for the road. Put a different set of pads on and nothing else and it was back to just fine.

Just to add to the pad comment, you can also get what should be "good" pads that weren't burnished properly or had an issue with the friction formulation. I had a customer buy his own Performance Friction Z-Rated pads for his ride ($90 pad kit) and they were like squeezing two ice cubes against a sheet of glass. After much head scratching, caliper pressure measurement, etc, we swapped them out for a $7 closeout set of no-name NAO pads and thing practically stood on its nose the first time he jumped on the brakes. While not common in my experience, it does happen.

That said, it wouldn't lead to a spongy pedal feel, so I don't think that's the case here. While the pads could certainly be a contributing factor of any low brake torque problem, the sponginess almost has to be air in the system somewhere IMO.

OP
OP
T

timsims

Loc.
POTEAU OKLA
I will get pics of the calipers for you. Help me out with old lines flexing too much. The rear are all original, so i can see where that could be a problem. I have never dealt with that. Is that something i can actually see when they are under pressure?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Not always. In my opinion they're pretty far gone by the time you can see the bulging. But then, "pretty far gone" is what gets you the mushy feeling!
In general, rubber hoses are actually considered to show more flex in the pedal than braided stainless, even when new. But the good news is that the OE's have designed them well and they last a fairly long time before the point you'd call any additional mush in the pedal noticeable.
I've heard some say they could feel the difference when going to braided even from fairly new rubber hoses. But in my case, I've done it to two vehicles (with good rubber) and did not notice the difference.
But I felt better anyway, knowing they were longer, stronger, and firmer.

In an extreme case, you will literally see a bit of the hose splitting and the lining bubbling out. By that time though, they're a ticking time bomb just waiting to burst.

Since yours are original, they're very likely deteriorated in at least some small way. They were never designed to last 40-50 years, and with different circumstances (both external and internal) I'd say they're ready to be retired even if they're not part of the problem.

I don't remember if you said your Bronco was lifted or not, but if it is, then it's time to change to longer hoses anyway.

Paul

OP
OP
T

timsims

Loc.
POTEAU OKLA
I have been away for awhile saving money to work on my 70 bronco. Needing ideas again. I want to put headers on this fresh rebuilt 302. Who makes the best. I have the frame off with drive line in. It looks easy to install headers at this time, but i do not want to have to modify them. I also changed from a 3 on the tree to an automatic. Is the a/m steering column the way to go? One last question i also want to install power brakes. What is the best kit for that? I have talked to salesman, i want the opinion from someone who has actually used these products.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
How is the engine built? Stock-ish, or hi-po?
What automatic transmission? There are two or three common ones, each with different needs when it comes to clearance for headers.

Are you looking for shorties for easy of routing a single exhaust? Or looking for long-tube headers for slightly better overall performance, and that "look" that long-tubes provide?
Going to run a true dual exhaust system? Or want to run a 2-into-1 for it's much more convenient routing?

Good luck on finding a consensus on what is "best" in this category. But at least what's best for you might be achievable. We just need to know more about what you have and what you want.

Paul

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I have been away for awhile saving money to work on my 70 bronco. Needing ideas again. I want to put headers on this fresh rebuilt 302. Who makes the best. I have the frame off with drive line in. It looks easy to install headers at this time, but i do not want to have to modify them. I also changed from a 3 on the tree to an automatic. Is the a/m steering column the way to go? One last question i also want to install power brakes. What is the best kit for that? I have talked to salesman, i want the opinion from someone who has actually used these products.

I went with this set up....works great, I did up my MC to a 1.125" bore as I have disc in the rear and adjusted the push rod length of the booster and my truck stops great

https://shop.broncograveyard.com/Po...r-Cylinder-Booster-Bracket/productinfo/12500/