• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Steering Linkage Decision Driving Me Nuts!

74lumenaire

Loc.
Clarkston
74 Bronco, 3.5 lift, bloody knuckle arms, 35 or 36 inch tires, wildhorses trackbar riser on dana 44 frontend. I have no plans on 4x4ing this bronco, it will be fully restored and nice, and hopefully will never see mud! mostly street driven! Which steering linkage should I go with, Clydesdale, stock, or ruffstuff crossover y link? Please go easy on me!

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
I like the WH steering upgrade kit. It is fully adjustable and very nice. Ken... Is that Clarkston Michigan?

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
No plans to use it off road?
No need to go heavy duty or extra heavy duty on your steering linkage.
You don't need 1 ton steering and you don't need Clydesdale steering.

abn373

Contributor
Loc.
Charleston, SC
I used the Bullet Proof Steering setup for mine (3" susp lift) and I have had zero issues, absolutely NO BUMPSTEER. All the parts are higher end than I need at a decent price. My track bar and steering are parallel and stay that way. And I guess its a nice looking system from the front visually. Mine has been on for years so it isn't pretty any more, but its way nicer looking than stock if that is relevant. I just wanted no bump steer, solid and tracks like an arrow.

Not sure if we are allowed to post non-sponsor links, so I won't but google it and it will show up.

There is a front view picture of it in My Garage

Attac

Contributor
If you weld get the ruff stuff kit. You just can't beat it for the quality and the price. It made a world of difference on mine. You are gonna be running bigger tires so there will be a lot more force on the steering even on road.
If you don't weld then the Clydesdale is a great ready to go system
Chuck

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I am going TRO.

I have been struggling to decide between the simplicity of the WH 3-way adjustable linkage and the Duff SRE system. WH is an upgrade over stock, made of better material, includes, adjustable drag link, and replaceable tie rods on "both" ends
And
The Duff SRE linkage ....of all of the heim/sre linkage set ups it looks to be truly custom designed for an eb. I like the saddle for the drag link too.

Spoke to Mike about it last year at Super Cel.
The SRE's are really cheap so getting extra ones when broken is no problem and you can pack them in tight as a spare part. Just so happens you likely won't break one as they have crazy high strength prior to permanent deformation. Much stronger than stock. Less slop, especially at that custom saddle mount for the drag link.

So a tough decision....

Duff SRE linkage,
Pro's
Super easy to do TRO with it later.
Super trick, stronger, less slop, backed by Duff's.

Con

If you need one later, you can't buy these SRE's at your local tractor supply, lol. Not at Pep Boys either. Might be DOT issues in your state.

WH 3-way:

Pro
Conventional, Simple, if one TRE fails it's likely locally available, easier to do TRO than stock. DOT compliant. None of the rolling TRE slop issues associated with 1 ton linkage,

Con

Its an upgrade over stock but not as much as SRE systems,; not cheap for what most who see it will think it is stock. So no bling if that is your thing....

Last edited:

Attac

Contributor
Hey Steve
When you do your steering and if you need a 7 degree reamer for the drag and tie rods then let me know. I bought one a while back you can use
Chuck

Sry for the hijack

OP
OP

74lumenaire

Loc.
Clarkston
I know it seems ridiculous to put all these parts on a bronco that's 99 percent of the time gonna be on road! Part of the reason I'am building this bronco is to be able to use the "nice" parts, the stuff I couldn't afford as a younger man. My dad always dealt in junk and spent most of his time not fixing things the right way! Which scarred me for life and drove me to buy only better quality, better parts so I didn't experience as many failures as him!

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
I know it seems ridiculous to put all these parts on a bronco that's 99 percent of the time gonna be on road! Part of the reason I'am building this bronco is to be able to use the "nice" parts, the stuff I couldn't afford as a younger man. My dad always dealt in junk and spent most of his time not fixing things the right way! Which scarred me for life and drove me to buy only better quality, better parts so I didn't experience as many failures as him!

Use the Wild Horses F150 based steering, it is stronger than stock but not $800 or ridiculous on a street Bronco.

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
Use the Wild Horses F150 based steering, it is stronger than stock but not $800 or ridiculous on a street Bronco.

x2 That's what I am running. I am running '78/79 Bronco knuckles/brakes though so it bolts right up. If running stock knuckles the rod ends will be too large and you will have to ream the knuckles. Maybe they can sustitute stock sized rod ends if needed? I also like that replacement rod ends are available off the shelf.

jperry1290

FYI heim joints are not dot approved and it may cause issues with some state inspections or if you get into a collision due to heim failure the insurance could squabble about paying for the collision

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
x2 That's what I am running. I am running '78/79 Bronco knuckles/brakes though so it bolts right up. If running stock knuckles the rod ends will be too large and you will have to ream the knuckles. Maybe they can substitute stock sized rod ends if needed? I also like that replacement rod ends are available off the shelf.

Yes, the ones you purchased simply had the ends substituted with those that would fit the full-size knuckle. The normal kit purchased under part #2351 will bolt right on a stock Bronco with '66 to '75 knuckles.
There is actually a double-hole setup for the cotter pins though, so it's possible that the same one for the stock EB fits the FS knuckle. But I was thinking that's more for the differences between EB knuckles over the years.

You'll still have to ream the top of the knuckles for a TRO setup of lumenair, but that's all.

Paul