• Be EXTREMELY cautious if someone offers to buy your Bronco for more than your asking price and sight unseen. ESPECIALLY if the buyer is overseas. It's probably a scam.

Discuss it more here:
    http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?p=514932
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

NY 1972 and niiiiiice....

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
Someone didn't know how the back seat goes together. Nice looking Bronco for sure!

OP
OP
pipeline010

pipeline010

looks like this ad has the indiana area code as well, CL=NY. bummer.

good news, though, if the scammers are running scams approaching 20k? price is still rising...although this is starting to seem a touch like bitcoin at this point.

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
The weird price number is usually the red flag for me...not 17 and not 20 but 17975?

ared77

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Me too tasker. You would think they would figure that out! %)

Wolverine

Guys. Help me understand how the scam works. Does someone buy the truck without going and driving/seeing it? Someone actually wires $20K, seriously?

OP
OP
pipeline010

pipeline010

that, pretty much. people buy trucks that way all the time (I did).

Many people don't want to muddle with an escrow company, they transmit funds and *poof* the seller disappears. A member here went through that experience and posted on his build recently.

He actually tracked down the scammer via the photos he had sent (they were stamped by the iphone by location? unsure how that works). Anyway, the buyer sent the local cops to the guys house, found the truck, and since our member had the purchase paperwork he actually got the truck after the police seized it. Apparently this seller had scammed other people with the same truck prior.

As I said, I've purchased my Bronco similarly. How do I know I'm not getting screwed? Owner is a member here, years and years of posts, many people know him, offers enough personal info for me to know he's real, AND I google earthed his house before sending deposit to see if the pics of the truck matched his physical address he was claiming.

People just need to be smart and remember to trust, but verify always.

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
He actually tracked down the scammer via the photos he had sent (they were stamped by the iphone by location? unsure how that works). Anyway, the buyer sent the local cops to the guys house, found the truck, and since our member had the purchase paperwork he actually got the truck after the police seized it. Apparently this seller had scammed other people with the same truck prior.

if he scammed others would they not also have a claim on the truck?

Jaxgtc

Guys. Help me understand how the scam works. Does someone buy the truck without going and driving/seeing it? Someone actually wires $20K, seriously?

I am with you, if I were to spend 20 grand I would spring a couple hundred bucks for a plane ticket. Heck I did it just spending $5k! Man that's cheap insurance and peace of mind.

Wolverine

Thanks for the education. I plan on finding my 'right' bronco, going and 'touching' it. AND taking it to a shop to inspect it before I hand over $25K. That will probably hurt my chances and $25K isn't a ton of money, but I am not willing to risk it.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL

Been known to happen... if you see same one on different sites, different states, usually can tell it's a scam

ECEB

Also, when there are black borders on the photos that often means they are copying someone else's ad