• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fixed two issues and found more

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yikes! Is that a previous demon, or did that just pop up after this first drive?

Either way, yes your steering linkage looks to have too much angle. Multiple problems that causes, especially with a '76/'77 "inverted-Y" linkage.

Did you determine what height you're lifted too, based on that stock measurement given previously?
And if you do put on some drops, do NOT do only one. If you keep the Inverted-Y setup, you must use both a dropped pitman arm and a dropped trackbar bracket. With stock linkages, you always use both.
If converting to the more rigid Inverted-T style linkage of the earlier models, you would only use a lesser dropped pitman arm, but no trackbar bracket due to the change of geometry.

The Inverted-Y setup was superior in some ways, but it's definitely less tolerant of lifts and larger tires.
Do not adjust other things until you get the levels back down. While lifted, you will also be dealing with your steering box and axle being off-center until you install the drops.

So fret not... Nothing to be frustrated about at this state. 'Cause you weren't finished with the steering set-up yet anyway!;);D

Paul

OP
OP
Jrdesigns

Jrdesigns

Loc.
madison
Best guess on lift is 2-3 inch left
We couldn’t hear the rattle with no exhaust hooked up an running. After we got mufflers on we thought it may have been timing was off some how. We finally pulled the covers off to see if they needed adjusting and found that.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Were you able to adjust them down enough?
Just at a glance, it looks like plenty of thread on the studs, showing that the nuts are run down pretty far. This indicates to me, that either the pushrods are the wrong length, the studs are potentially pulling out (if press-in type still?), or I don't know what I'm looking at and am not using the correct criteria for diagnosing.

But if nothing else, the rattle was telling you that your engine was not performing up to it's full potential. Be nice when that's dialed in and you can really feel what's under the hood.

Interested to hear what you find with the valvetrain.

Paul

OP
OP
Jrdesigns

Jrdesigns

Loc.
madison
Well I have been took.. I took the heads to a trusted machine and basicly after looking at them said they wouldn’t touch these with a ten foot poll. And if they butchered the heads this bad then what does the motor look like?? My heart sank. Went home and looked at what should have been freshly bored cylinder walls and notice they still have a substatial ring on the top and the cylinders have zero hatching on them

Attachments

• 71433136-11A6-43C4-9B4E-9DD77003B669.jpg
    71433136-11A6-43C4-9B4E-9DD77003B669.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 36

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Dang Jr. Did you have the engine re-done in a different thread? Or did the seller say the engine was a full rebuild?
I can't remember all your details, but it seems to me the engine was old looking at least (not all the nice paint at least) in your earliest images of the project.

Did the current machinist say why they could not be saved/salvaged at least? Seems that you can fix just about anything.
Too bad you're so far away. I've got a nice set of Explorer P heads I'll probably be getting rid of. Have two other sets now, AND a set of aluminum heads. And probably not enough engines to use them on.

Sorry if I missed a big previous discussion about the engine. Just don't remember what you were dealing with.

Good luck.

Paul

OP
OP
Jrdesigns

Jrdesigns

Loc.
madison
O man I have had nothing but issues since it was rebuilt. Intake gasket failed first time it was fired up an filled the crankcase with water.

OP
OP
Jrdesigns

Jrdesigns

Loc.
madison
These new lifters

Attachments

• FC6985C7-AA5E-4F46-A7EF-D02877CCC1B5.jpg
    FC6985C7-AA5E-4F46-A7EF-D02877CCC1B5.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 33
  • 0CA19C60-9CBA-452D-9171-AB16C6082864.jpg
    0CA19C60-9CBA-452D-9171-AB16C6082864.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 29

Tiko433

Contributor
I know just enough to be dangerous
Loc.
South West Florida
Looks to me like cam was not broke in probably, I bet the cam is just as bad. Sorry for man that sucks !

OP
OP
Jrdesigns

Jrdesigns

Loc.
madison
We where in the middle of break in when the crankcase filled with water.. this has been a lemon since day one.