• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Four Wheeler Bronco 4 Speed Article 1969

PaveBronco

A recent gearbox thread where the 4 speed top loader in a Bronco was mentioned. Got me thinking of an article in an old Four Wheeler issue I have, and thought I might post it, hopefully the pics come out.
its from Oct 1969 and no I didn't buy it new.... found a bunch in a barn awhile ago. lots of interesting stuff...was a whole different 4X4 world back then it seems.
Anyway this is the test of the 4 speed conversion done be a Ford Dealer Charlie Erickson, Fairway Ford, now ED Butts Ford according to Google Maps.
Thinking of going through the old mags and posting stuff..I think the old club decals are cool.

Enjoy..

Attachments

• 4 Speed1.jpg
    4 Speed1.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 238
  • 4 Speed2.jpg
    4 Speed2.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 224
  • 4 Speed 3.jpg
    4 Speed 3.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 217

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Fairway ford is still there Cool article thanks

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Cool Article.

I had a Top Loader 4-Speed in a 69 Bronco with a 351w. Great ride and very fast shifting.

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
Great article thanks! I need to find me one of those CB antennas for my rear bumper, I found one local but it's 10 feet tall!

House

Minutia Militia
I really enjoy driving a 4 speed Bronco. It really is what Ford should have equipped them with from the factory...

fordfan

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks for sharing that Pave! That's a cool little article! I know first hand how much fun a top loader 4 speed is in a Bronco! I would pay for reprints of that article is there's anyway that you could do it.

Attachments

• Rattler 1.3.JPG
    Rattler 1.3.JPG
    134.5 KB · Views: 136
  • Rattlers Cleveland 2.JPG
    Rattlers Cleveland 2.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 106

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
Thanks for sharing that Pave! That's a cool little article! I know first hand how much fun a top loader 4 speed is in a Bronco! I would pay for reprints of that article is there's anyway that you could do it.

Hey fordfan, do you have any more pics of that setup? Shifter side of tranny? I am putting mine together now, O/D version. I have everything mocked up but ended up having to make my own set of shifter rods. Just curioius about the brackets. Thanks.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
I ran a 4 spd toploader in my '68 for about 10 years, about 5 of them behind a HP289...went thru a bunch of 28 spline axles back then...

Most fun to drive tranny I've had in my same Brocno ...out of these:

3 spd
3 spd w/ OD
C4
4 spd toploader
ZF w/203
4r70W w/KluneV/Atlas
4r70W w/KluneV/205

Last edited:

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru

Dennis:

If my scanner cooperates, I can get you copies of the article in a bit if no one else does.

Todd Z.

kylakekevin

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hmm my bronco is from Los Angeles California, it has a 66 mustang toploader 4 speed with the fiberglass cover, Rubber boot and Hurst shifter. Right place right time. I would like to have a copy as well, if you were willing.

House

Minutia Militia
My Reverse is left and down, like a 67/68 Mustang...?

Attachments

• IMG_5747.jpg
    IMG_5747.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 53

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Hmm my bronco is from Los Angeles California, it has a 66 mustang toploader 4 speed with the fiberglass cover, Rubber boot and Hurst shifter. Right place right time. I would like to have a copy as well, if you were willing.

PM me your email address and I'll email you some high res scans.

Todd Z.

fordfan

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey fordfan, do you have any more pics of that setup? Shifter side of tranny? I am putting mine together now, O/D version. I have everything mocked up but ended up having to make my own set of shifter rods. Just curioius about the brackets. Thanks.

Sorry for the delay on getting you a picture. This one isn't great, but it's the only one I have of the shift rods.

Attachments

• Rattler 1.7.JPG
    Rattler 1.7.JPG
    132 KB · Views: 42

fordfan

Contributor
Bronco Guru

This is what makes the fun..... The 4 speed just handles it...;D;D;D

Attachments

• Rattlers Cleveland 4.JPG
    Rattlers Cleveland 4.JPG
    122.9 KB · Views: 32
  • Rattlers Cleveland 3.JPG
    Rattlers Cleveland 3.JPG
    138.4 KB · Views: 32
  • Rattler 1.1.JPG
    Rattler 1.1.JPG
    128.9 KB · Views: 36
  • Rattler 1.5.JPG