• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Help Me Choose a Wiring Harness Please

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Got my dash out so I figured now is the best time to replace the wiring harness due to years of hacking in new aftermarket fun stuff.

I need something with extra circuits for cooling fan, trans cooler, off road lights, seat heaters, CB, Stereo with amps and compatible with aftermarket Autometer gauges. All stock gauges are gone.

I have narrowed down to these three as I'm not ready to spend over $1,000 for a Painless at this point. Ive read through a lot of the reviews and understand Centech is lacking on instructions, which I need as electrical is not my thing.

https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/produ...y-Universal-Harness-Kit/Bronco_Wiring_Harness

https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/American_Autowire_66-77_Bronco_Harness/Bronco_Wiring_Harness

https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/produ...-Centech-Wiring-Harness/Bronco_Wiring_Harness

Any input is appreciated.

Cheers!

BroncoChicken

I went with Painless, but know others have used American Autowire and Centech with no real complaints. Painless will run 20% off sales every now and then, but it would still be more than any of the others you linked. Whichever one you pick, the Painless install guide (http://www.painlessperformance.com/Manuals/10114.pdf) can be helpful to cross reference if you get stuck. Take your time, triple check everything and you’ll be fine with whatever you choose.

Tim

Attac

Contributor
Blue
I love the painless and they have plenty of extra circuits and their support is second to none. Around thanksgiving they should run their sale again that full kit with switches is about 800 free ship. I would do it especially if you are a wiring dufus like me.
Chuck.

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Basic build and original with extra circuits - Painless is mostly Plug-n-Play and correct Ford Wire Color.

Build with modifications, more custom wire lengths and extra circuits - American Autowire

eric0o1

The cooling fans, trans cooler fan, & off-road lights will need to be on their own relays. I'm not certain what amperage your seat heaters will draw but will probably also need to be on a relay. Stereo will obviously be on it's own mega fuse. The cb is something that can be powered from the chassis harness, maybe put it on the same circuit as switched ign. power to the radio. I mention this because yes you have a lot of accessories, but really nothing extra that is dependent on the chassis harness. If I was in your position, I''d probably buy the Painless.;)

jaybird29

Loc.
NC
I have restored two 69 Camaro's and used Painless and American Autowire. Painless is nice and definitely works, but AA harness is better IMO (ends are terminated with correct factory connections), at least for the vehicle(s) I have used it for. If I replace the harness on my 77 Bronco, I am going AA.

SHX669

Bronco Guru
I found the Autowire to require way more crimps and connections to be made than the Painless and I hated their huge connecting blocks. And unless they upgraded their instructions - hope you've done a harness replacement before.
That's just MY limited experience and things might have changed in the last 4-5 years.

Muddy1966Bronco

Loc.
Central PA
I bought the painless and I am impressed. Every wire is labeled and even a complete beginner to wiring could figure it out from their manual. It was one of the few splurges I really wanted to make in my build and I don’t regret it. Also, that holiday discount pricing puts it within $200-$250 of all the other decent wiring products if I remember right.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
I bought the painless and I am impressed. Every wire is labeled and even a complete beginner to wiring could figure it out from their manual. It was one of the few splurges I really wanted to make in my build and I don’t regret it. Also, that holiday discount pricing puts it within $200-$250 of all the other decent wiring products if I remember right.

When I looked at their holiday discount it seemed to bring the price down to about what the Bronco vendors sell the same thing for every day.

Tiko433

Contributor
I know just enough to be dangerous
Loc.
South West Florida
I just got of the phone with Nick ( Delconick) I’m still chasing my Brake light /turn single problem. I called him about a steering column wiring harness plug, which may have something to do with my issue. He told me about his harness he sells. After talking with him it sounded well thought out. He told me I’m chasing a wire problem on a 40 year old harness. He pointed out the hours I spend tracking down this problem I could put a new update harness in the truck and be done with it. It got me thinking.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Just about all of them have the circuit printed directly on the wire.
I like the quality of the Painless fuse block. Some of the others look like grade school science fair projects.
With enough one off stuff, painless generic hot rod kit can be a good choice as well.

JefeAZ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson
I just picked up the American Autowire kit which replaces literally everything. The instructions looked great, very detailed with photos on massive sheets of paper. Install is in 4 to 5 weeks

Muddy1966Bronco

Loc.
Central PA
When I looked at their holiday discount it seemed to bring the price down to about what the Bronco vendors sell the same thing for every day.

I added it up with the shipping and its still cheaper through the holiday pricing than the vendors. It came to about a 5% discount over vendor prices if I remember right. Unless prices have changed since I did it.

JefeAZ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson
I bought my $700 American Autowire Harness off eBay. They have a 15% off sale once a month and it came out to $592 shipped

s-l1600.jpg

OP
OP
Ol'Blue

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks for all the responses gents! Leaning towards the AAW since you get the switches, good directions, reasonable price and some good feedback. That ebay deal, I definitely will keep on eye on.

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
I bought my $700 American Autowire Harness off eBay. They have a 15% off sale once a month and it came out to $592 shipped

s-l1600.jpg

Where do you find the coupon for this. I was going to rebuild my harness but for 600 bucks it would hardly be worth it. Thanks, Ken