• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Gas Mileage?

localrich

Loc.
Sandy, UT
Its all about your use :daily driver, trail rig, show car. Mine's just a daily driver and I don't look into the mileage too much, but when your credit card shows up at the end of the month with $200 in gas alone...you may want to have a defibrilator near, I call that an "oh sh*t" moment. Like everyone else is saying- its all about your knowledge around engines that can kick up your mileage...all that tuning and such ;)

I would kiss the ground for a $200 gas bill ours has been closer to $700:eek: per month and my wife drives a hybrid

commoncold

well, $200 is great for all the family's vehicles. But i'm talking about a single car (my different gas bills are on seperate cards). I haven't actually driven mine yet (my father has) because its been broken, but Its use should easily rack up around $200-$300.

ugly74

Bronco abuser
My 74 has a healthy 302 running a 600cfm vac sec Holley, edelbrock performer 302 (egr blocked off) headers, dual exhaust, a C4, 3.50s and 32s.
If I'm really driving like an A hole (more often than not;D )I get as low as 5ish mpg. but If I'm just loafing around town and doing no more than 70 on the highway, I'll get as good as 15mpg.
so I'd be willing to bet that whatever carb your running is just set too rich.

Fast Pat

Loc.
Flowood, MS
Have you checked your speedo? Mine was reading 16% low because of larger than stock tires (33"). Your 8 mpg may actually be 10 mpg.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
When my Bronco was new (1977) the book said to keep it under 50mph for the first 500 miles. That got me right at 20 mpg! Then I put on 32" tires, a roll bar, trailer hitch, front tow bar, and a bunch of other heavy crap. Now it gets 15 mpg under the same circumstances. If I keep up with traffic it gets about 12 mpg. I'm in the process of changing the gear sets from 3.5 to 4.1 which should put the ratio back real close to original. I'm hoping for a little more power and a little better mileage from it. There aren't any real gas milage miracles out there. You're just up against physics. It takes so much fuel to propel a box so fast! I think the best way to get good milage is to lie about it!

Broncoman

Bronco Guru
Maybe, but we will get there before you;D
Now you are just being plain mean;D

Remember the ol' story about the Tortoise and the Hare?
Slow and steady wins the race.

180px-The_Tortoise_and_the_Hare_-_Project_Gutenberg_etext_19993.jpg

Last edited:

Hazardous69

Loc.
Springfield
not to take over the thread, but Broncoman with your setup what kind of mileage are you seeing? How does the 170 feel about turning 35s? does it still do well in city traffic?

Broncoman

Bronco Guru
not to take over the thread, but Broncoman with your setup what kind of mileage are you seeing? How does the 170 feel about turning 35s? does it still do well in city traffic?

I have never really checked to see what my mileage is. With a 3speed, 31's and 4.11's I got around 16 mpg.

With city traffic its fine. Its not a race car its a heavy truck with a little car motor in it. So don't expect to win any street races. Keep in mind I have 4.88 gears so 35's are no worse than the 31's were. Interstate speeds are ok in short bursts but the motor is strokin':eek: 3400-3500 rpm at 70.

The six cylinder is fine its in there and runs good now. If not then I would look into a motor swap. When the six dies its going to a V8.

okorangebrnco

Bronco Guru
I know one thing for sure, is that the Bronco gets better mileage right now than my 94' GT. I figure the Bronco is getting about 15 with a fine tuned edelbrock and NV4500. All this is at 70 since thats really the only speed I can use overdrive.

wlfpck11

Does gas make a difference with a 5 speed?

I am looking to get my first bronco, Right now I am looking at a 74, with a 302 and 3 on the tree, what should I look for?

Larry B

Loc.
Medford
When my bronco was bone stock it got 14 - 15 open road on both engines. The second engine is still in it with a 4 barrol and RV cam and it is still close to the same.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Does gas make a difference with a 5 speed?

I am looking to get my first bronco, Right now I am looking at a 74, with a 302 and 3 on the tree, what should I look for?

Not quite sure what you mean by gas making a differance. But I say get you a bronco first then worry about the rest later. Broncos are not econo boxes you wont pull super numbers out of them. Basically you want to look for a bronco thats in the best condition possible. the better shape its in the more money you'll have for other mods.