• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Repair for Holley Carbs, with stripped fuel bowl threads

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
Yo guys

This past weekend I stripped one of the threads that hold the fuel bowl on my Holley Carb

On the Holley web page, holley shows a repair kit using Helli Coil iserts. While the Helli Coil inserts will work, to me it isn't the right way to repaiar the threads.

After using a different insert on my Lightning to repair damaged spark plug threads I knew there was a much better product. So if you ever strip the threads, here a better insert for you to use to repair the threads for the fuel bowl screws on a Holley carb.

They are called Time Serts, and instead of being a coil spring type of insert, they are a solid insert that holds much better, and when installed the right way do not come out like Heli Coils can.

Here is a link to there web page
http://www.timesert.com/html/inchsert.html

The web page will tell you all about them, has directions on how to install them, and even has videos showing the install

The part number for the installation tool is 0124
And the inserts you want are a thread pitch of 12-24 .300 inches long, and part number 01241

I just did the repair on my Holley, and it went perfect.

When I talked to the tech he wasn't sure which length insert to use, as it goes into a bling hole. He thought the .370 length insert would work, but I wasn't sure so I also had them send me some of the shorter inserts. I might have been able to get the longer ones to work, if I had drilled 1 mm further into the carb, but I was afraid to drill too deep into the carb.

So even with the shorter insert the threads are now carbon steel rather than soft pot metal, and I am sure it will hold great even if I remove the fuel bowl hundreds of times. After all the Helli Coil inserts that Holley sells are only .320 inches long, and these are a lot stronger, and grip into the carb a lot better.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DonsBolt

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
Yo guys

I decided to throw some of these inserts into my spare carb. Being it is my spare carb I was a little more aggressive, and since I have done it before, I was able to get the longer inserts to work.

I didn't think to take pictures untill after I drilled and counter sunk the holes. But I did take some pictures of me tapping the holes and you can see the countersunk holes in the pics.

First off here is a picture of the kit
Timesert-tools.jpg

I labled the different parts, the drill bit, the counter sink tool, the tap, and the install tool

First thing you do is drill out the hole with the drill bit.
Then you take the countersink tool and drill out the countersink into the carb
The you take the tap and tap some new threads into the holes you drilled.

This is when I remembered to take pics
In this pic you can see me tapping one of the holes
tappin-carb.jpg

Now take the install tool, dip it in oil and screw the insert onto the tool
timesert-ontool.jpg

In this pic you can see me screwing the insert into the carb. You can see how the hole is countersunk to let the lip of the insert sit flush. You screw the insert into the hole, and turn the tool till it starts to get hard to turn. Once it gets hard to turn, you screw it in a few more turns, this is what lockes the insert into the hole you drilled and tapped. It will then turn easier, telling you the tool has gone past where it needs to go to lock the insert. Now just unscrew the install tool, and your done.
installin-timesert.jpg

Here is a pic of all 4 inserts in and installed.
timeserts-installed.jpg

Maybe one day I will do the secondaries, and do a real write up

MY 4 BY

Thanks for that info. This just happened to me last weekend, and I was wondering how to repair the threads. Did you order the #0024 kit?

OP
OP
DonsBolt

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
Thanks for that info. This just happened to me last weekend, and I was wondering how to repair the threads. Did you order the #0024 kit?

Ya thats the kit I ordered it comes with 5 of the .370 long inserts, which are the ones in the pictures.

I also ordered 4 of the shorter .300 inserts, which are the ones I used on my main carb.

I set the clutch on my cordless drill to a lower setting to drill out the holes. Drilled about half way into each hole, then flipped the carb over so all the shavings fell out of the holes. Then drilled in a little deeper, repeating untill I got to the depth I wanted.

With the longer inserts you come very close to going through the carb, thats why I sugest getting some of the shorter inserts.

With the spare carb, I finished the last turn or two of the drill bit by putting it into the handle for the tap, and doing it by hand

This kit works awesome, just be carefull not to drill through as then the carb would be toast. Go slow and you will be fine. But if your a little concerned get a few of the 01241 inserts. Since with the shorter ones you don't have to drill quite as deep.

VT_Don

Installed correctly, Helicoil inserts are an excellent product. Many critical, aluminum parts specify Helicoil inserts to prevent thread wear and galvanic corrosion. Edlebrock, aluminum heads included. Understand Helicol inserts are stainless steel, and available in both free running and prevailing torque. I own a defense contracting manufacturing facility, and use Helicoils almost daily.

OP
OP
DonsBolt

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
Installed correctly, Helicoil inserts are an excellent product. Many critical, aluminum parts specify Helicoil inserts to prevent thread wear and galvanic corrosion. Edlebrock, aluminum heads included. Understand Helicol inserts are stainless steel, and available in both free running and prevailing torque. I own a defense contracting manufacturing facility, and use Helicoils almost daily.

Someone PM'd me and asked me for this info, so I decided to bring it back

I agree helicoils are a excellent product for a lot of aplications. I just felt for this application this is at least as good, and for this application I like these better.

Pedestrian

Bronco Missionary
I have used Timeserts for years, never had any problems with them. Started using them after having issues with Helicoils in my youth, mostly operator error I'm sure.