Bronco Hut    

Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts   Toms Bronco Parts   BC Broncos
Community
 Message Forum
 Photo Gallery
 Event Calendar
 Book Reviews
 Bronco Wallpaper
 Bronco FAQ
 Link Back to CB!
 600+ Bronco Links!

Search all Bronco Links
Buy / Sell
 Classifieds / Want Ads
 Vendor Forum
James Duff
Rust Bullet
Sexton Offroad
Bronco Tech
Recent Tech Articles
 •Holley Carb Tips
 •Aussie Locker
 •C6 203 205 Doubler
 •4 Link
 •Clutch Replacement
 •Early Turn Signals
 •C4 Improvements
 •Threaded Dipstick
 •NV3550 5 spd
     More Tech...
Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts

Welcome to the ClassicBroncos.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a GUEST which limits your access to viewing only. To take advantage of all the forum features please take a moment to register. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact the admin. If you've lost your password click here.

Go Back   ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Tech

Old Yesterday, 09:53 PM   #16
guidoverduci
Contributor

Garage
Thanks! The jumper idea is great. I went out to the garage to give it a shot.. the pump was burning hot... oops.. left the ignition on while I watched the second half of the football game. Doh! Not sure if the hot pump tells you a thing, but I’m gonna call it and re-attack tomorrow.

73- 351w/T170, 3.5 SL, 3.50 gears 😬
guidoverduci is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:32 PM   #17
guidoverduci
Contributor

Garage
No luck on the jumper, although I used cheap wire. I have thicker gauge speaker wire, but not sure if that would work even if a temporary connection. I pulled apart the connection and the power going to the pump is 11.6. Once spliced together, it dropped to 10ish. I’m going to order another pump. I might have fried this one regardless after leaving power to it for so long.

Old Today, 04:15 PM   #18
DirtDonk
Contributor
Bronco Guru

San Jose, CA
Very possible. The heat is not a good thing because there is no fuel running through it constantly to keep it cool.
It might already have been fried though. After all, you said the other one did not work already and did not know the reason. Maybe this one just decided to die while you were working on other things, in one of those "coincidental mass parts suicides" I mentioned earlier.

If you connect your jumper again and measure the voltage at the other end just sitting there, you should see an accurate representation of any voltage loss over it's length. The smaller wire may have lost some at the far end, but you can easily see it with a volt-meter.
Measuring 11 at the pump may indicate some drop from the load of the frozen pump dropping the voltage. I think it works that way, but one of the electrical gurus can tell you that.

But the fact that you were getting a higher reading with the new wire vs the old does indicate to me that your existing wire is not sufficient. Whether it's due to a bad/corroded connection, or just the fact that the wire is too long, too small, and not using a relay is hard to say from here.
More messing about is in order when the new pump arrives.
With luck you'll see the full 12v at the business end with the new pump. But if not (and even if so) you should add a relay and it's own dedicated circuit from the battery and the pump.

Good luck.

Paul

'71 Wagon, 3.5" WH, F150 disc brakes and steering, 4.11 33x11.50 Thornbirds, Kayline soft top, Hanson bumpers. "Built, not bought"

'68 LUBR, 2.5 + 1 WH, 31x10.50, 4.56, Explorer and 4R70w by EFI Guy, WH disc brakes, Hanson front bumper, Warn winch. "Bought, not built"

www.wildhorses4x4.com
DirtDonk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:22 PM   #19
guidoverduci
Contributor

Garage
Thanks Paul. I might have misspoke. The existing wire when not hooked to the pump is showing 11.6. When I hook up the pump and measure at the connection, it drops to 10. I tried to trace all the wiring, but I was unable to see any relays. However, it's taped / wrapped really good and then zip tied tight under the dash. I won't say 100% there's no relay, but with how clean and tight everything is, I wouldn't expect the PO to hide it if there were one.

Old Today, 04:27 PM   #20
guidoverduci
Contributor

Garage
side note... I ordered the Carter P4070. It says it has a built in regulator. Should I remove the regulator that's installed up near the carb then?

Old Today, 04:35 PM   #21
DirtDonk
Contributor
Bronco Guru

San Jose, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoverduci View Post
...I tried to trace all the wiring, but I was unable to see any relays. However, it's taped / wrapped really good and then zip tied tight under the dash. I won't say 100% there's no relay, but with how clean and tight everything is, I wouldn't expect the PO to hide it if there were one.
Sounds like some good effort was put into it then. I wonder where they get their power from though? Straight from ignition switch? Back of fuse panel? Spliced into something we can't see?
Sure would be curious to see where the circuit originates.

Paul

'71 Wagon, 3.5" WH, F150 disc brakes and steering, 4.11 33x11.50 Thornbirds, Kayline soft top, Hanson bumpers. "Built, not bought"

'68 LUBR, 2.5 + 1 WH, 31x10.50, 4.56, Explorer and 4R70w by EFI Guy, WH disc brakes, Hanson front bumper, Warn winch. "Bought, not built"

www.wildhorses4x4.com
DirtDonk is online now   Reply With Quote

ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Tech