• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bad electric fuel pump I think..?! Engine quits

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
...I tried to trace all the wiring, but I was unable to see any relays. However, it's taped / wrapped really good and then zip tied tight under the dash. I won't say 100% there's no relay, but with how clean and tight everything is, I wouldn't expect the PO to hide it if there were one.

Sounds like some good effort was put into it then. I wonder where they get their power from though? Straight from ignition switch? Back of fuse panel? Spliced into something we can't see?
Sure would be curious to see where the circuit originates.

Paul

OP
OP
G

guidoverduci

Loc.
NorCal
Just an update.. I checked the aux fuel pump as well. Same thing, volts are 11.6-11.8 going to both pumps, but once connected, volts drop to 10. I pulled both pumps and filters... there was so much crud in the filters. The PO had the filters after the pump but nothing prior. It looked pretty nasty in both pumps. I've got the carter P4070 now, just waiting on an -AN fitting that I needed to order to hook up to the braided lines. Got a new filter, put it before the pump this time, there's also one up by the carb. Still not sure if I should leave the regulator in there since the carter's are supposedly self regulating, but I guess it couldn't hurt.