• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

3G alternator question

chriskent85

i purchased a 3g online and I am building from frame up with no original wiring. I have the painless wiring harness and was wondering how to wire up my 3g alt. I have seen a few diagrams but my alt has the green and red wire cut off.

OP
OP
C

chriskent85

IMG_20171021_093314308_zps1g2v47k6.jpg

IMG_20171021_093302441_BURST000_COVER_TOP_zpscijej7fo.jpg

66broncoCT

Contributor
Loc.
Torrington, CT
Looks like you have a "1 wire" 3g conversion. I think you just need to run the main charge wire to the battery terminal or the hot side of the starter solenoid on the fender well. Do you have a link of where you bought the alternator?

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You might have to reclock the alternator. Where that
Piece of paper is, the hot lead to the battery. But it looks really close to the block. It would be some fireworks if the touched while you were driving. Might just be the angle of the picture though

OP
OP
C

chriskent85

the head of the bolt is about 1/2" away from the block. No way for me to clock it any other way. If it looks like it is gonna be too close when i get it wired up i will cut that piece off the block and add a little more red paint. lol

66broncoCT

Contributor
Loc.
Torrington, CT
Can't look at eBay links at work so I cant be sure about the charge wire but I'd think that's the only thing it needs. What does the paper say? And by clocking the alternator spap means removing the bolts that hold the front and the rear case together and turning the rear half of the case to get that stud away from the block. The front/mounting half doesn't change you only turn the rear part until the holes line up again and reinstall the bolts.

OP
OP
C

chriskent85

Thank you for that. I didn't know that I could clock it that way. Will do that in the morning

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And even if it doesn't say it requires one, given all that new paint I would also add a ground wire to one of the case bolts (or a dedicated GRD stud on the case) to a good ground on the engine or body.
Since you will also be adding all sorts of good grounds with your new harness anyway, right?;);D

Paul

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Send a pic of the whole motor kinda interested on how the red looks.

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Send a pic of the whole motor kinda interested on how the red looks.

Bart

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Buffalo Gap, Texas
If you don't have it figured out yet check the tech library for BC Broncos. They have a perfect drawing of what goes where.