• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

upgrading DANA 44 ring and pinion gear with a Heep JK rear r&p

OP
OP
B

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
so besides them 2 companys anybody else sell the swap? I looked at both and they seem similar. But for 100 bucks more the other one has gearset and set up kit?

Any writeups or articles from other sites?

Im sending back my stuff tomarrow and will order the JK swap stuff this week once i find out what exactly i need. the Arb will go back for a exchange for the one i need (RD117)

Last edited:

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Sounds great, this is a GOOD upgrade for D44 guys!

OP
OP
B

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
also should i stick with the 1310 yoke? when i do the rear i will also have to decide on 1310 or 1350. i think front and rear should be the same and should be 1310 to avoid some drive shaft angle binding issues?

thought on front and rear yoke size? expecially front for now. I have 6 inch lift so front is a bitch. 1310 best up there?

OP
OP
B

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
ok im going 1310 yokes for sure. If anybody has a link to any articles and such using JK gears in a front axle please share with me.....

nvrstuk

Contributor
Next time I'm cruising that area, I'll stop by his shop in Paulsbo...he's pretty creative!

OP
OP
B

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
Please do....i have no knowledge of either shop but the Nitro place seems like a race shop. Jantz may be more off road inspired???

nvrstuk

Contributor
Jantz is all off road...builds some crazy stuff.

He was on some TV show also where they raced in stages all the way from S. Alaska thru to the oil reserves on the North Slope area...crazy race in thawing tundra. I entered trying to be a contestant for the second season! : ) No call yet, I must have been too crazy for them..reputation and all... lol

OP
OP
B

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
i read through both company install instructions and it sounds like the Jantz Jana K4 has some extra parts in there kit like a pinion set up bearing and a non locking pinion nut to use for set up. Ill call to verify but there kit seems more complete from what i read.

I also was gona use a ruffstuff cover anyhow so im gona pull a few extra leaves off the money tree and get the Jantz girdle cover (which starts as a ruffstuff cover)

OP
OP
B

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
bad ass vids...thanks for that link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIrEuSe4B9M

He rigs a axle to a bench and has a huge wheel he climbs on thats attached to the pinion. On the drive side of the gear set he cant get much deflection from pinion or ring gear....but when he goes to the coast side it multiplys. Cool to see things happen before your eyes rather than just believe what people say.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
i read through both company install instructions and it sounds like the Jantz Jana K4 has some extra parts in there kit like a pinion set up bearing and a non locking pinion nut to use for set up. Ill call to verify but there kit seems more complete from what i read.

I also was gona use a ruffstuff cover anyhow so im gona pull a few extra leaves off the money tree and get the Jantz girdle cover (which starts as a ruffstuff cover)

bad ass vids...thanks for that link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIrEuSe4B9M

He rigs a axle to a bench and has a huge wheel he climbs on thats attached to the pinion. On the drive side of the gear set he cant get much deflection from pinion or ring gear....but when he goes to the coast side it multiplys. Cool to see things happen before your eyes rather than just believe what people say.

Deflection is what breaks gears.
Here is another thing to help against deflection:

http://www.jantz4x4.com//jantz.php?p=detail&pro=load_bolts

http://shop.jantzengineering.com/load-bolt-only/load-bolt-only/

http://shop.jantzengineering.com/load-bolt-kit/jana-load-bolt-installation-kit/

From his website:
We have load bolts for: Dana 44, Dana 50, Dana 60, Dana 70, Dana 80, Jana 76, GM 14 bolt and Toyota LC 9.5.

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
so this upgrade would probably not be worth it for mild use? I understand hard core stuff, but mild trails?

OP
OP
B

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
so this upgrade would probably not be worth it for mild use? I understand hard core stuff, but mild trails?

well....i have not had my bronco in 4 wheel drive for 6 years. BUT when i do i want it as strong as possible. I will never switch to full width one ton axles, so as i see it this upgrade is a necessity to save some coin and rework down the road. The trails i will be hitting i would not consider hard core....i just need to be able to keep up with a trail full of HEEPS.

OP
OP
B

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
and yes i did print the 14 page install manual for them load bolts last night and will read through it today.

Sounds like you need the load bolt and also need to rent a install kit as well. No problem there just have to read through everything and make sure i know what i need to do it.