• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Cooling System Overhaul

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
I prefer steel fan pulleys and use one smaller diameter than the stock set-up.

The smaller fan pulley works better at slow speeds which your trip will include.

If your worried about running hot make sure your running the proper tire and axle gearing so your not building heat in the automatic transmission.

Wildhorses carries the Robertshaw performance thermostat.

The factory 7 blade Bronco fan is a real good fan.

use Goodyear Gatorback belts they are a hair wider than normal and will cut down the belt squeal. They ride slightly higher up in the in the pulley grooves.
They are harder to find but available at summit. once you settle in on your belt sizes then buy a spare.

Pressure test your whole cooling system before you go.

OP
OP
coachbarnes

coachbarnes

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
I prefer steel fan pulleys and use one smaller diameter than the stock set-up.

The smaller fan pulley works better at slow speeds which your trip will include.

I have looked around for a smaller pulley but haven't had any luck. BC used to carry them, but don't see them anymore. Any ideas on where to get them?

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Look into coolers from Earl's Performance Plumbing and Setrab too.

Derale is not a manufacturer, they buy from the cheapest supplier and box it up, so their quality has ups and downs.
Also you may be waiting until they get enough of a size on order before they order from their suppliers.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
The Mustang 289 used a smaller diameter water pump pulley if your using a standard offset water pump. My Bronco 1974 California smog pump had the almost same size water pump pulley as the crankshaft damper pulley. They almost touched in the middle. With the weird offset caused by the smog pump and the oddball water pump, the water-pump pulley wasn't compatible with normal 289/302 stuff so I had to swap meet search and the pulley I found came off of some Dodge. I would call BC and see if they still have their pulleys available.

OP
OP
coachbarnes

coachbarnes

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
I would call BC and see if they still have their pulleys available.
I gave Jason a call, and they do still have them. They had them hidden on their site. I'm also just going to go with their 3 core HD copper radiator. It actually has more tubes/fins that the WH 4 core I was looking at. This combination of the FlowKooler WP, Robert Shaw thermostat, small diameter pulley, rigid fan and HD copper radiator is pretty much what I ran on both my Baja racers and we never had a seconds worry about overheating. I think it's the right combo for my application.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
You guys talking about smaller pulleys. Are you talking about just the water pump or reduction pulleys for the crank, alt and pump? I run the reduction pulleys on all 3 but now my steering is sluggish at idle after adding hydroboost. Haven't found a reduction pulley to fit the Lincoln dual return pump to make it spin faster.

OP
OP
coachbarnes

coachbarnes

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
You guys talking about smaller pulleys. Are you talking about just the water pump or reduction pulleys for the crank, alt and pump? I run the reduction pulleys on all 3 but now my steering is sluggish at idle after adding hydroboost. Haven't found a reduction pulley to fit the Lincoln dual return pump to make it spin faster.

I'm just talking about the water pump pulley - turns the pump faster for more water flow and fan faster for more air flow. Here's the link to the one BC sells;

BC Broncos Small Diameter Pulley

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Just the water pump. Its reacts like running on a slow trail in the heat of the day drive in low range instead of 2 high. Pick up a little pump and fan speed.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Did you see the notes on this fan?

“Not for use on engines larger than 250CID (4.1L), high performance engines or racing vehicles, off road vehicles, or commercial or heavy duty vehicles.”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes I did.
So I contacted both Summit and Hayden and nobody knew why that note was there.
I can tell you that side by side with the famous Ford Super Cooling flex fan, it's a duplicate.
I've had two of them. The first died a miserable death due to my own poor judgment. %)

Attachments

• IMG_20170722_150628440_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170722_150628440_HDR.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 37

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Yes I did.
So I contacted both Summit and Hayden and nobody knew why that note was there.
I can tell you that side by side with the famous Ford Super Cooling flex fan, it's a duplicate.
I've had two of them. The first died a miserable death due to my own poor judgment. %)

Led foot kid!

Lol

jckkys

Bronco Guru
A couple things to keep in mind. KISS keep it simple stupid. Clutches are prone to failure. The OE 7 blade I've used for 44 years will never fail, and is far less noisy than the fixed blade, while moving every bit as much air. They are also the most expensive, so the Hayden 3718, a near clone of the OE 7 blade, is the best low buck alternative. When my original radiator became less than effective, I tried all kinds of highly touted cooling fixes in vain. The local radiator shop sold me a high efficiency core like BC's 12-11120 radiator. It looks original but works better than the 4 core or the aluminum I tried. The fans in post #1 are very different in diameter. I doubt that fixed blade will move anywhere near as much air as that 6 blade flex fan. Mostly do to the 6 blade's larger diameter. Stick with OE pulleys they do perfectly well. Don't throw in a bunch of new parts right before a long excursion. Be sure it all works together first. Baja has weather similar to here in Tucson. Heat isn't a problem in the winter.

OP
OP
coachbarnes

coachbarnes

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
A couple things to keep in mind. KISS keep it simple stupid. Clutches are prone to failure. The OE 7 blade I've used for 44 years will never fail, and is far less noisy than the fixed blade, while moving every bit as much air. They are also the most expensive, so the Hayden 3718, a near clone of the OE 7 blade, is the best low buck alternative. When my original radiator became less than effective, I tried all kinds of highly touted cooling fixes in vain. The local radiator shop sold me a high efficiency core like BC's 12-11120 radiator. It looks original but works better than the 4 core or the aluminum I tried. The fans in post #1 are very different in diameter. I doubt that fixed blade will move anywhere near as much air as that 6 blade flex fan. Mostly do to the 6 blade's larger diameter. Stick with OE pulleys they do perfectly well. Don't throw in a bunch of new parts right before a long excursion. Be sure it all works together first. Baja has weather similar to here in Tucson. Heat isn't a problem in the winter.

All good comments -- thanks. I've got the Hayden 3718 on the way, along with a BC HD copper radiator. They are sending me the smaller diameter pulley and I'll use that as well. Got the Robert Shaw thermostat in place, along with the FlowKooler pump. Except for the Hayden fan, this is all the same stuff I've run on both my Baja racers (much more heat w/450+ HP 351's) and I've never come close to a heat issue so I'm convinced it's a good combination for even the toughest conditions.

Thanks for all the input -

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
For those going to use a clutch on their fan, make sure you get the one rated heavy or extreme duty. Anything less spins the fan at 75% lock up, and the heavy duty locks up to 90%.

Will one of those flex fans fit an explorer serp?

OP
OP
coachbarnes

coachbarnes

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
Ok - finally got back to work after the holidays. Cooling system overhaul complete. Ended up with the Flowkool pump, Robert Shaw 180 degree tstat, BC radiator, hayden flex fan, silicone hoses from WH, new belts and stock size, bling aluminum pulley(primarily so I can keep stock belts). Thx for all the comments/recommendations.
e7636ccb6ee53a9e5ea3b6fcaadd2ea0.jpg
a2d9cb93088298c01d101db6c3290a83.jpg

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Scott, if you need a stock shroud I can bring you one saturday.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk