• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

3000 mile trip-figured I better introduce myself

RPM289

Sounds fun I do a local race nearly every year only 100 miles but is a blast!

OP
OP

73Style

Sounds like a great adventure. Please keep us updated with photos. My one observation. If driving 3000 miles, I assume all on pavement. Would some more road friendly tires of a slightly smaller size be more economical and comfortable? Have fun....

You are right. New tires were on my list. Actually swapping daily driver tires was going to happen. Then The center bore was too small, so I though new wheels with dd tires. Then I realized I didn't want to leave my new truck on blocks in case I need to grab my trailer and drive back 500 mile to pick up my bronco.

Brakes and suspension cost spiraled and tires got cut from the list☹️

OP
OP

73Style

What are the details for Memphis, Paris TN?
I live between Memphis and Paris. If I was home, I might try to meet you at one of those stops.
Good Luck!

We're not totally sure yet. I know both cities are on our list, but not sure of timing or route yet. Basically they hand us a packet at the starting line and you start driving while the navigator frantically tries to find the best route that scores the most points in the shortest time.

I will check back in on here as we bunk up at night or head out each day.

OP
OP

73Style

I took a few shake down runs over the past few days. It's funny. It ran great then I started taking it apart to fix it even better. That's always my problem. I think finally have everything dialed in.

Tractor paint job
Added front disks
Added bilstein front shocks
Added real 3.5 rear leafs
Door panels
Center console
Alignment
Added cb and 102" ant
Fluids and grease
New headlights and cheap knockoff led aux's

I mistakenly didn't add a prop valve with the new disks. Crazy day in the rain. Got one added and then still had the problem. Still locked up even on light braking in the rain. Lots of brain storming with a guy at a rod shop and finally realized that I needed to loosen up the rear drums. They had self adjusted with all the brake bleeding and test drives I took. Great brakes now. Dropped tire pressure to 30 and 28 and it seems to track pretty well. Still sitting tail high, but I hope when I add all the tools and spares it will squat some.

Two day til we takeoff for the starting line.

bbaltered

Are you guys staying overnight in buffalo ? I'm not very far from there , about 20 min away . They are forecasting for about 2ft of snow south of buffalo over the weekend but the long range looks good for Tuesday .

figo40

Loc.
St. Louis
This is very cool! at first I thought the Bronco was going to function as a chase car. Even better its the racer! Please post pics!

OP
OP

73Style

Are you guys staying overnight in buffalo ? I'm not very far from there , about 20 min away . They are forecasting for about 2ft of snow south of buffalo over the weekend but the long range looks good for Tuesday .

Buffalo is just a way point that day. We are starting in scranto(moscow PA) that morning. Heading to Buffalo. Then back south to Pittsburg for the night. Not sure what we are doing there. Each waypoint has something you have to visit and get a picture of. Hopefully it's not the border crossing. I got waylaid there for hours a couple years ago.

bbaltered

Do you know if there are certain routes that you have to follow ? I will PM my cell# when you find out what picture you have to take , call me . If I know where it is I will tell you what I think is the fastest way there .

OP
OP

73Style

Do you know if there are certain routes that you have to follow ? I will PM my cell# when you find out what picture you have to take , call me . If I know where it is I will tell you what I think is the fastest way there .

I will let you know. How well do they clear the roads up there? In NC we get more ice than snow and it last for a day or two max on the roads.

bbaltered

Anytime it is snowing the plows will be out . It is rare that we get a storm that is bad enough to close the roads . This is not a storm just lake effect snow , it's not unusual to get a foot or two at a time in the snow belt . Just watched the weather and it looks like there may be some snow on Monday and Tuesday . There may be some snow or slush on the roads , but no ice . No problem , just slow down a little and leave yourself more room to stop .

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
Sounds like a really fun adventure/race! Good Luck and be safe! Have a great time and hopefully no mechanical stuff happens but im sure if you have looked it over well it will be fine. Go get em! ;D

OP
OP

73Style

We took off about noon. Heading to D.C. Tonight to stay with some family. 200 miles at 65mph. She hasn't gone this long at hey speeds since I've owned her

West Tn Dawg

BULLDOG
Loc.
Kenton
I hope you are able to get some good pictures along the way, and post them up here!
Be Careful and Good Luck!

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
that's cool, keep us posted and let us know if you may end up needing some help:cool:

tabascom16

Loc.
Salisbury, PA
I will probably be at best an hour away from your route from Pittsburgh to Asheville. I live about an hour east of Morgantown, WV which should be on your route. 30x40 garage with a torpedo heater and a fair amount of tools.

The one thing I really hate about PA is they use stone mixed in with the salt for the roads. It is very rough on your paint job when driving behind and passing cars on the highway. I actually broke down and bought a winter beater because of this. Got tired of destroying my nice cars.

In the midst of other Ford projects this winter. I am doing body work on my 79 F250 complete frame of restoration right now. The power plant is going to be a twin turbo 12V Cummins with the Dodge NV4500 and transfer case.