• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

door opening fix

farmerjohn

Hello Again, I bought an incomplete '77 project, w no doors installed and went to work on it. Before welding in my floor pans , i measured my door openings and found them wider at the top.....like by an inch on the drivers side and 3/4"on the passenger side. I have the front fenders and grill removed , top off ,doors off,dash out, sitting on new body bushings and 2"body lift. Any sugestions on how to square up the openings? I know the Bronco was in a wreck and has a different front clip welded on.... My first thoughts were to cut loose the front clip, pull the front door posts in to spec, brace them, then reattach the front clip. My second thought was to ask you guys. Whatcha think? Oh and thanks for your time!

sp71eb

Loc.
North Liberty, Ia
You can try shimming the rear two body mount locations to get the fit you want. Just ge some washers that are the same size as the ones above the body mounts and try putting them in differnt locations to get the fit you want.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
I would try shimming up the bodymounts at the front of the foot well and shim up the rear body mounts and then pull down the body mounts between the 2 sets you shimmed. The body tub is soft and easy to move at the back of the door opening. Make sure you use a square between the top of the outside of the rocker and the front of the rear fender pannel. don't go past making that square.

OP
OP
F

farmerjohn

ok.... damn, that sounds a heck of a lot easier than all the cutting and welding I mentioned above! I'll give it a try. Thanks!

JohnJohn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Richmond
Ditto on the washers.
It also matters how tight you make each body bolt. You can fix some gaps by just tighting a body bolt and squishing the bushing a tad bit more than others.