• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

A couple of hydroboost questions

BigB

Hi,

I just picked up a pretty complete HB from a 99-04 era Mustang. It has all the lines intact as well as the brake distribution block. Including some nicely formed hard lines that come of the HB unit itself.

Is there a reason I would not want to use those hardlines and just get new fittings for my 4x4 box at my local hydraulics shop soldered on the ends?

I know I've read guys like to be able to carry 1 spare hose and by using aftermarket fittings they can achieve that. I'm not really in need of that right now or the foreseeable future and would like to save money on the swap.

My truck had manual brakes but discs front and rear. Would I be best off using the new mustang dist block? I don't currently have a proportioning valve in my system. I will also be using the Mustang master cylinder.

I have taken off the bracket to clock it away from valve covers (351w) and down from the hood. Once the little centering/locking nub is ground down do I need to do something to help lock the bracket back in place? I can't remember ever reading about this.

Also when I go to place the bracket on firewall do I just center the brackets hole against the existing hole in firewall or do I move the bracket down as far as the firewall bracket lets me, so I gain more room from hood? Not sure if that will effect pedal/rod travel or not, though the mustang pushrod is able to move and have the angle changed.

Thanks.

OP
OP
B

BigB

I just knocked the studs out of the backing plate so I could line it up.

I can now see that if I tried lowering it against the firewall hole that it will come into contact with a bolt which is holding the brake/clutch etc brackets inside the cab and will also be very close to steering column cover/seal etc bolt.

gr8scott

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I've got hydroboost too, but totally not your setup. Somebody will chime in eventually, I'm sure.

Attachments

• 20170718_111004.jpg
    20170718_111004.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 103

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
OK I'M thinking move it down . My rigging I put in so many splices I don't think that'd going to matter.
...... Now I don't know squat on hydro boost.
.. But there used to be a member here that was Mr. Hydro Booster. He knew every thing there was to know about them .
... SO I'll say go search foR ''TOFIC'' . THE OLD FART IN CANADA .
..AS you read his post look for another member here .. Sorry I can't his handle, but one of the members here now is good on them also.
...................... Good luck & I believe it's the way to go.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I had the hard lines converted to -6 to make my own hoses work. Local machine shop tiged them together. Mustang master worked perfect. The ISO bubble flare to conventional adapter was a challenge to find 12 years ago.

Ran no block. Out of the master straight to the axles.

jagbucket

i did not cut out the locking tab i think you need that its the only thing that holds the whole shebang steady. i cut that plate down and then welded it into a mounting plate that then bolted to the original bolt holes. so that it still has the original lock nut and locking tab

72Sport

Bronco Guru
After re-clocking the hydroboost on the bracket I marked the bracket for the new tab and silver soldered a piece of 1/4" (??) key stock in the new the slot I filed in the bracket.

Ford must have been serious about keep the H.B. from moving since they added a snap ring to keep the retaining nut from loosing enough to allow the bracket to clear the locating tab.

OP
OP
B

BigB

I was hoping someone might say ford put that locking tab on there just to speed up production and make all the units sitting in the same position, to look good in the cars and it serves no real purpose!

That plus it lines up the weep hole.

72Sport

Bronco Guru
I was hoping someone might say ford put that locking tab on there just to speed up production and make all the units sitting in the same position, to look good in the cars and it serves no real purpose!

That plus it lines up the weep hole.
Probably all of the above and a few more. If it rotates too far it might break or kink a hose. PS fluid on headers or manifolds might cause a little blaze under the hood.

OP
OP
B

BigB

I reached out to Liam locofomocoracing a member here who makes clocking brackets and he told me that as long as the nut was done up tight that I shouldn't have a problem regarding the cut off nub.

I think I will just run it without trying to weld another on and will see how I go and keep an eye on it for movement.

Thanks for all the replies.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Question on the mounting of that unit...is it offset a slight amount? Looks like it angles towards the fender some without an additional bracket?

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Question on the mounting of that unit...is it offset a slight amount? Looks like it angles towards the fender some without an additional bracket?

Stock they angle up.
If you take the hydroboost unit off the firewall mounting plate and remove the key that fits into the unit to hold it in one position for assembly from the plate you can reassemble it pointing in any direction.
As long as you mount it tight enough to the plate that it can't rotate you don't need the key.

The key is only there to make it easier for assembly at the factory so that it is faster and that makes it cheaper for them.

OP
OP
B

BigB

Sorry I didn't see this earlier but I replied to your email and also sent you a couple of photos.

OP
OP
B

BigB

The key is only there to make it easier for assembly at the factory so that it is faster and that makes it cheaper for them.[/QUOTE]

I figured that was a reason for the keyway!

nvrstuk

Contributor
I got some pics from rguest3...

catfan

Contributor
The key is only there to make it easier for assembly at the factory so that it is faster and that makes it cheaper for them.

I figured that was a reason for the keyway![/QUOTE]

I make new mounting plates for the 1999-04 H-boost brackets without the key way and have never had any feedback about it being a problem.

nvrstuk

Contributor
So when you swap in this hydroboost with appr 15deg angle to it are you using your unmodified swing pedal assembly and the push rod off the swing pedal will now be pushing the back piston of the hydroboost at an angle accelerating the wear in the unit I'm assuming?

Todd...I spent hours looking and couldn't find anything on the shorter Chevy van/truck units... anybody know about what years ??? thanks

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
So when you swap in this hydroboost with appr 15deg angle to it are you using your unmodified swing pedal assembly and the push rod off the swing pedal will now be pushing the back piston of the hydroboost at an angle accelerating the wear in the unit I'm assuming?

Somewhere I have seen someone built a transfer linkage kind of thing to make the push on the same angle as the hydroboost.
Unfortunately the pics I had are on a now dead computer.