• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dana 44 Bom #

72Sport

Bronco Guru
Where is the BOM # stamped on the housing? I have the info matching BOM to year. I looked at a partial new Wildwood front kit today. Problem is I don't know what year etc the front end is. Do stock 76 and 77 rotors and hubs work with the 6 piston Wildwood kit?

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
On the long tube, Date and BOM

This is a passenger drop in the pic, so it's opposite of a Ford:

Attachments

• D60_id.jpg
    D60_id.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 34
OP
OP

72Sport

Bronco Guru
Thanks to both of you for your help. Mine ended up on the front side of the passenger side axle tube about 3" from the edge of the pumpkin casting. With no clue where to start I would have never found it. It was stamped very light. Had to use acetone to remove paint other wise I would have removed it.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Where is the BOM # stamped on the housing? I have the info matching BOM to year. I looked at a partial new Wildwood front kit today. Problem is I don't know what year etc the front end is. Do stock 76 and 77 rotors and hubs work with the 6 piston Wildwood kit?

To answer your last question - the hubs will work but not the rotors.

Todd Z.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And unfortunately, the BOM may not tell the tale of what might have been swapped in over the years.
But if you know for a fact that the brakes, and more importantly the knuckles, are from a '76/'77 Bronco, and not a full-size truck or Bronco, then at least you know which kit you need to buy. They're completely different and one does not fit the other, so it's good to know up front.

But what exactly do you mean about the "six-piston kit" fitting the stock rotors? Are you talking about installing Wilwood calipers without their rotors? The kits I'm familiar with all include matching Wilwood rotors. Unless they sell the calipers and brackets by themselves and you're trying to make them work with the rest of the factory stuff.
In that case, what Todd said.

Paul

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
But if you know for a fact that the brakes, and more importantly the knuckles, are from a '76/'77 Bronco, and not a full-size truck or Bronco, then at least you know which kit you need to buy. They're completely different and one does not fit the other, so it's good to know up front.

Why wouldn't a 76-77 kit fit the 76-79 full-size knuckles? The bolt pattern for the spindle is the same and the steering arms give enough clearance - I think those are the only two interfaces/variables to consider. What am I not thinking of in terms of fitment?

Todd Z.

OP
OP

72Sport

Bronco Guru
Nephew bought a 70 with a Dana 44. Thought it would be nice to know where to start. Nephew ran across someone who doesn't have a Bronco but has lots of new spare parts replacements and upgrades. I have extra Ford disc setups and was wondering if the Wildwood stuff was interchangeable before he made an offer on the parts. I can't see spending a $1000+ for Wildwood stuff when I have Most of the Ford stuff at wrecking yard prices. I was in need of rotors and hubs. Thanks for the input.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Why wouldn't a 76-77 kit fit the 76-79 full-size knuckles? The bolt pattern for the spindle is the same and the steering arms give enough clearance - I think those are the only two interfaces/variables to consider. What am I not thinking of in terms of fitment?

All correct and good points. So I'm not sure what the actual differences would be.

I was talking to them about a customer's kit not fitting and there was not the option to change just one or two parts, so he would have had to change his entire kit at great expense. So he ended up buying correct knuckles instead.
He'd ordered it not knowing his brakes had been changed.

But thinking back, perhaps I'm remembering it incorrectly and it was the difference between the GM conversion and the Ford conversion parts. Rather than EB vs Full-Size.
That would make more sense, and since I don't see any full-size kits on their site for F150's or Broncos of any year up to '79, maybe that's what it was. Just early vs late stuff.

Thanks for the reality check.

Paul