• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco making a chadder noise

k13evin

Loc.
Chattanooga
302 C4 dana20 twinstick when taking off sounds like something is clinging from the trans or transfer case. In park no noise at all. In drive on the break no noise at all just when taking off. And I can put the trans in neutral and the twin stick in neutral and there is a none stop loud clicking noise.
Any one got any ideas ?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
A few things it could be I suppose, but sounds to me like the most likely culprit is your rear driveshaft joints.
Could be either end, but most likely the double-cardan CV setup up top at the transfer case. Any chance you've serviced it since you've had the Bronco? Many of them get ignored until they make noise. There is also a (sometimes hidden under gunk) female zerk fitting that requires a needle attachment/adapter for your grease gun. This one gets ignored even more often!

Anyway, well worth a check. Especially if you don't know the full history of your Bronco.
Also, have you lifted the Bronco? What height and did you use tapered shims to correct the pinion angle in the back?

Good luck.

Paul

OP
OP
k13evin

k13evin

Loc.
Chattanooga
2 1/2 in lift all new joints in the drive shaft. It's a complete rebuilt bronco. I get the noise only when in neutral and the transfer case is set in neutral. Or when in low and hi driving but only when moving at a faster pace.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Sorry, I misread your first post. Since you said you have a non-stop(?) noise when in neutral, then it obviously can't be a driveshaft.
But since the trans is in neutral too, then it's very unlikely to be in the transfer case as well. The input of the trans is rotating with the engine of course, but even given some friction rotation of the output, it would be pretty minimal and not enough to spin much up in the t-case I wouldn't think. But others with more knowledge about such things automatic might know different.

So the transmission is rebuilt too?
What about the flexplate? Since the noise started have you gone in to inspect the bolts to make sure they're tight?
A body lift or no?

Paul

Justafordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I think Paul may be right about the flex plate. Either cracked or the converter bolts are loose. I've seen it many times and it will make a lot of noise.

OP
OP
k13evin

k13evin

Loc.
Chattanooga
Check the bolts ,all tight and flex plate is good not cracks or any play what so ever. It's weird it only does it in drive but not in park or revers you can feel the bottom pan and feel a knocking. Drop the pan and there is some brass looking particles flakes in it.

jw0747

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
Post #7 above...you said it only does it in drive but in post#1 you said you put both transmission and tc in neutral and get a constant clicking noise. Could you be more specific because you might have two unrelated problems. If you're getting a noise in drive when you take off but not when you're on the brakes or in park it's probably your constant velocity joint on the front of your rear driveshaft not a u-joint.

The clicking noise in both neutrals it's probably a separate problem which stumps me. "It's a complete rebuilt Bronco" you said...right? Does that include the transmission and transfer case? If so you might take it by whoever rebuilt them and ask them.

LilMixedUp

Loc.
Bonaire
Just now reading this, did you ever get it resolved? If not one unfortunate source... I had the spring that holds the "parking pawl" in the back of the C4 break. Will not make noise in park, but anytime vehicle moves it "clicks", get faster the faster you drive. If that is the issue, you will have to remove and disassemble the transmission to replace the spring.