• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Front frame horn Reinforcement

kip60

I've been looking through some of the threads here and haven't found much about the front frame ends. Thinking about putting on a winch bumper and it doesn't seem to me that there's enough frame to hold much in front. The last thing I want to do is get stuck somewhere and pull the bumper off trying to get out. Probably not going to do hard core rock crawling, just mud and off trail stuff you get in hunting. Just want to know I can winch out if I need to. I know you guys have fabbed up all kinds of things to help beef up the front end. Please post pictures of your reinforcements if you got em. Right now thinking about building a box insert to bolt to existing holes in the frame. Thanks in advance.

dave67fd

Contributor
Bronco Guru

Attachments

• 16655F26-F8EF-4AA4-B2B1-793D718EC3AC_zpsjezy8fiz.jpg
    16655F26-F8EF-4AA4-B2B1-793D718EC3AC_zpsjezy8fiz.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG641.jpg
    IMG641.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 94

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
If you look at the Duff bumpers for example you see that they have a portion of the bumper that slips into the frame bolting into some factory holes. Don't know if the other bumper manufacturers do that or not. They don't matter. Only Duff matters, lol, jk.

Anyway....my custom bumpers are simply bolted to the end of the frame horns with a little weld bead.

I have accidently put enormous loads on that bumper mounts. Bad stuck and yanked on hard by others. I have yanked on others pretty hard too. It has never tweaked even a little.
I had little faith on that mount but it has been way stronger than expected.
But eventually I'll get Duff bumpers. Check them out.

http://www.dufftuff.com/Early_Bronco_Winch_Plate_Bumper_p/4935.htm

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
The Duff bumper puts the winch inside of itself. The top of the bumper is smooth. No obstruction to airflow at all.
Saw them at Super Cel.