• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How to Remove Tailgate?

bfoldy

Contributor
Loc.
Torrance, CA
Ok, I know this is probably going to seem like a really stupid question, once I find out, but here goes...How do you remove the tailgates on our Broncos? Mine is a '66 and getting the support things unhooked from the sides is a piece of cake. It's getting it off the swivel at the bottom that I can't figure out. Most tailgates I've seen come off when you pivot them at a certain angle and just slide right off. Mine doesn't seem to be engineered this way and it looks like the only way to get it off is to unbolt the swivel mounts from the body. Is that right?

bdixon

Loc.
Puyallup, WA
i had to unbolt both sides of mine. lift one end and drop the other. i too felt stupid. after it is out you will see how easy it is. it does not slip out like new tailgates