Bronco Hut    

Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts   Toms Bronco Parts   BC Broncos
Community
 Message Forum
 Photo Gallery
 Event Calendar
 Book Reviews
 Bronco Wallpaper
 Bronco FAQ
 Link Back to CB!
 600+ Bronco Links!

Search all Bronco Links
Buy / Sell
 Classifieds / Want Ads
 Vendor Forum
James Duff
Rust Bullet
Sexton Offroad
Bronco Tech
Recent Tech Articles
 •Holley Carb Tips
 •Aussie Locker
 •C6 203 205 Doubler
 •4 Link
 •Clutch Replacement
 •Early Turn Signals
 •C4 Improvements
 •Threaded Dipstick
 •NV3550 5 spd
     More Tech...
Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts

Welcome to the ClassicBroncos.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a GUEST which limits your access to viewing only. To take advantage of all the forum features please take a moment to register. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact the admin. If you've lost your password click here.

Go Back   ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Tech

Old 05/19/17, 05:52 PM   #1
broncoitis
Contributor
Bronco Guru

R.I.P Roscoe and Daisy! Miss you so much!!!

North Jersey

My Gallery
Best Aluminum Radiator!!!

Ok, im gonna get the right radiator for the EFI conversion. Wondering what to go with and what others on here like! Especially curious about the Champion radiator. Going into a 5 speed bronco so I don't need the tranny cooler. So lets hear what you all are running to keep things cool!

Rob 1970 Bronco: Rebuilt 302, EFI, Exp Serp, Vintage Air, Cust Console, Corbeau Seats, etc...
Build: Springtime or Bust!!!
broncoitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/19/17, 06:21 PM   #2
ransil
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Pittsburgh Pa.
Garage
94 explorer radiator
ransil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/19/17, 07:10 PM   #3
garberz
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Clear me a path...

Conejo Valley, Ca.

My Gallery
Garage
You won't find a best aluminum radiator, they don't last more than a year if you use your bronco as a daily driver. Stick with the copper/brass and a crossover tube. My .02.

Mark

EFI, OBDII, 5.0, C4, AtlasII 3.8. 4.56's, Detroit's, 35's, Duff Long Arms, 5.5" coils w/adjustable mounts. 3" suspension lift.
garberz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/19/17, 07:17 PM   #4
sykanr0ng
Contributor
Bronco Guru

"You say overkill like it's a bad thing"

Greeley, CO
Quote:
Originally Posted by garberz View Post
You won't find a best aluminum radiator, they don't last more than a year if you use your bronco as a daily driver. Stick with the copper/brass and a crossover tube. My .02.

Mark
/\/\This is why you choose \/\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransil View Post
94 explorer radiator
Cheap, disposable and easily replaced just about anywhere.

... I've got skills, ingenuity and no regard for maintaining any kind of historical preservation or authenticity...My Dad called that sick and wrong
www.coloradoclassicbroncos.com
sykanr0ng is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05/19/17, 07:38 PM   #5
76 bronco J
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Houston, TX

My Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by garberz View Post

Mark
>>> really.... my aluminum radiator been working fine since '04 & has a little over 30,000ish miles on it.... it's a AFCO brand purchased from Duff's back when, no idea what brand they sell now.... of course now it probably will fail ,better knock on some wood.... when it does fail, I planned on trying the explorer radiator....
76 bronco J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/19/17, 07:44 PM   #6
bronconut73
Contributor
Bronco Guru

How did you do that?

Orlando
Garage
But Blu, the last time I went to a rad shop, a stock replacement was far more expensive but essentially identical to the part store rad. Once I started asking about anything like heavy duty cooling the price jumped even more.
That price point forced me to buy the Duff 4 core rad I still have today. Its lasted about 24 years so far.

But I see the logic in checking with your local rad shop. I did and here in O'Town the price pushed me to Duffs.
Much fewer rad shops here now....but its been a quarter century...and things change...

I also see the logic in the Explorer Radiator. Somehow that dinky thing keeps our eb's cool and you can often get them at your local parts store for $120 bucks.

I even see the logic in the $150 dollar Champion. A relatively cheap experiment that has worked well for some.

I struggle with the logic of the Vendors Ron Davis, Be Cool, Etc...radiators that often push the $400 dollar mark. They look beautiful though,,,,

For that kind of money I'd get a copper/brass triple pass....

Anyways
Off my radiator soap box...lol

'73, 3.5" sl, XL RS9's, F-250 mounts, Duff Long Arms, 1" bl, 35" MTZ's, C-4, twin sticked, P.S., built 351W, F&R Detroits, 4.11's, chromo axles, 11 leaf packs, SuperJoints, Chevy front disc, BC rear disc, BC Vintage a/c, Scat Procar 2K seats, 3G, Alpine/Pioneer, Bear, Cobra 148 GTL/Texas Star.
bronconut73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/19/17, 07:50 PM   #7
RODRIG3911
Contributor

Tucson, AZ

My Gallery
I live in Tucson Arizona (Hot desert) and my cheap aluminum Champion radiator from ebay has been amazing and durable
RODRIG3911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05/19/17, 08:16 PM   #8
bronco loco
It never ends

SONIC is on the road

Valley Stream L.I.

My Gallery
Garage
I was part of the Champion radiator mass buy, I bought the one for the explorer conversion, and even though the neck is like the original radiator, on the passenger side, It has worked as it should.

72 Sport uncut, 2.5 WH front coils 3.5 WH rear leaves pack
98 Explorer drivetrain
bronco loco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/20/17, 06:30 AM   #9
rguest3
Contributor
Bronco Guru
Most aluminum radiators are thicker than original and you have to use a skinny Flex Fan and/or an electric fan to help it cool.

I am in hot, humid Florida. The best combo for me has been an original copper radiator with a F-Series serpentine (same depth as original v-belts) 1/2 spacer and rigid mechanical fan. Minimal trimming of the stock fan shroud is the only mods needed. This combo has been installed in front of a very nice 351W with NO issues.

The only 5.0 conversion radiator that I have seen with the thickness the same as original is the aluminum radiator that Toms Bronco has. This seems to be a very good option because you can still use a rigid mechanical fan without clearance issues. If anyone has used this radiator I hope they can chime in.

1976 - Restoration in progress - Ford Magnetic Paint, Matte Black Decor Stripe, 351w, FAST Retrofit Multiport EZ-EFI 2.0, Hydro PDB, 4R70W, Will Remain A LUBR.
1977 - Driver - Restore Later - Medium Emerald, PS, PDB, AT - Rust Free Arizona Truck
1969 Wagon With Bulk Head - Rust Free From Georgia
rguest3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/20/17, 06:40 AM   #10
Broncobowsher
Total hack

Adapt and overcome

Maricopa, AZ
Most radiator shops I have dealt with the "cooling expert" knew how stuff cooled 40 years ago and all the advancements since then that work great are "junk". Probably because they can't fix them with a roll of solder and a blow torch.

Modern cooling systems are great. They do a great job of cooling massive HP numbers in simple lightweight and compact radiators. They last as well. Most modern vehicles will never need a radiator (or even a service) in the life of the vehicle, which has about doubled since the old days.

Just follow modern installation practice. Use the super floppy rubber mounts, don't attach them rigid.

"She's built like a steakhouse but she handles like a bistro"-Zapp Brannigan
“How hard can it be?”-Clarksonius 4th century BC.
Full throttle, it either solves the problem or ends the suspense.
Broncobowsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/20/17, 04:36 PM   #11
chuckyb
Contributor

1968 Ford Bronco Wagon And 1964 1/2 Ford Mustang Coupe

Mooresville

My Gallery
Garage
No worries with my Champion. I can sit in traffic on a summer day with AC blasting. I've had it for a year but it seems pretty stout.

1968 Bronco Wagon 289 Pebble Beige
1964 1/2 Mustang Coupe 260 Wimbledon White

Pebbles build thread: http://classicbroncos.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=278611
chuckyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/20/17, 04:43 PM   #12
broncoitis
Contributor
Bronco Guru

North Jersey

My Gallery
The radiator that i currently have is aluminum and it has been fine. The only real issue is the reversed inlet and outlet that I currently have and as a result the crossover leaks a little bit hear and there but it makes a mess.

Will look at the options!

Rob 1970 Bronco: Rebuilt 302, EFI, Exp Serp, Vintage Air, Cust Console, Corbeau Seats, etc...
Old 05/20/17, 07:53 PM   #13
Jdgephar

Look over there! A Bronco!

Southwest MI
Garage
Why does your EFI need a different radiator? I still have the v-belts and a stock type aluminum replacement radiator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'68 U15, time, $$, 302 full roller, 3 speed, 33's, D44 w/power disc brakes, PS
'72 U15, time, more $$, 347 full roller, TL 4 speed, 35's, LS 4.11 front/rear, manual disc, Duff arms, PS
Jdgephar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/20/17, 09:46 PM   #14
broncoitis
Contributor
Bronco Guru

North Jersey

My Gallery
Do I need a new radiator? I guess in reality No! However, the main reason for the replacement is that I switched to the serpentine setup off of the explorer and ideal in and out for the EFI are opposite of the stock setup on the bronco. Can you make it work with the original radiator sure however, the big compromise is on the bottom where you need the stupid crossover tube and that is just a spot for issues if you ask me. Maybe I have to take a look at the parts store one more time to see if there might be a better option to eliminate the crossover tube all together! I don't really wanna spend the money but honestly tired of my truck looking like a grease monkey underneath considering it is all practically new asside from some nicks and scratches that will be addressed eventually!

Old 05/20/17, 11:08 PM   #15
Jdgephar

Look over there! A Bronco!

Southwest MI
Garage
http://www.championradiators.com/For...ator-1966-1967

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'68 U15, time, $$, 302 full roller, 3 speed, 33's, D44 w/power disc brakes, PS
'72 U15, time, more $$, 347 full roller, TL 4 speed, 35's, LS 4.11 front/rear, manual disc, Duff arms, PS
Jdgephar is offline   Reply With Quote

ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Tech