• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

4x4x2 Power steering box

408Bronco

Loc.
Midwest
I see that Jeffs BG along with Wild Horses offers a mounting bracket (plate) for the 4x4x2 steering box, has anyone used one or the other and what one would you recomend.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Where do you see the one Wildhorses sells? The only bracket I know of that they sell is the one for the 2wd box that goes on the inside of the frame.

http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/produc...e_Box_Bracket_F150/bronco_Power_Steering_Kits

The one that Jeff's sells was originally developed by West Coast Broncos and is the most common bracket used for the 4x4x2 box.

http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-12897-rock-crawler-box-adapter.html

It's also common to simply drill new holes in the frame and don't use a bracket at all.

OP
OP
408Bronco

408Bronco

Loc.
Midwest
You are correct Justin, after looking at it more I realized it is mounted on the inside, not the out side.

sp71eb

Loc.
North Liberty, Ia
I used the BC Bronco one and it fit great. Just put the bolts through the stock location and marked the other holes then drilled them. I kinda cheated and drilled the outside of the frame to the size of the spacers that come with the kit and beveled the edge of the spacer and burned them into the frame on one side. I still had to trim them a bit to get them to fit. Then I welded around the plate. Sorry only pics I have of it.

Attachments

• 072.jpg
    072.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 186
  • 068.jpg
    068.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 160
OP
OP
408Bronco

408Bronco

Loc.
Midwest
Thanks for the great responces guys, im starting to lean towards the WCB set up. Could some one tell me how far down approximitly it drops the box rather than mounting in the near stock frame holes and how much room does it give you for attaching the fittings for the pump.

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
Thanks for the great responces guys, im starting to lean towards the WCB set up. Could some one tell me how far down approximitly it drops the box rather than mounting in the near stock frame holes and how much room does it give you for attaching the fittings for the pump.

I made one small notch in the core support. Outside of that everything was easy and presented no challenge. I recommend attaching the hoses to the box before you bolt it in.

PDQ

Contributor
For those using the WCB/ JBG adapter plate, are you still running fenderwells? And if so did you have to dimple or notch the drivers side to make room for the steering shaft u-joint and shaft? I just put mine in and it looks like that will have to be done unless there's another trick?

Also, are you all running the non-indexed pitman arm too or is there a way around that?

Thanks, good info.

allenfahey

Bronco Guru
I recently bought the WCB adapter plate and it is drilled wrong to the box. I have 2 79 Bronco boxes and neither one of them will bolt onto the bracket. Did any of you guys have to egg out the box holes for it to bolt on? For the money spent it should bolt in without egging out the box bolt holes.

70_Steve

Old Guy
I used the WCB adapter earlier this year when I rebuilt the front suspension, but I bought it at least a year and a half, maybe two, years ago.

OP
OP
408Bronco

408Bronco

Loc.
Midwest
I ended up going with the JBG one, still waiting on it to arrive to my door. Has anyone mounted this by notching out the frame for this to fit in flush with frame rails, would be welded in along with still using the bolts, but just wondering what your thought are about doing it this way.

70_Steve

Old Guy
I ended up going with the JBG one, still waiting on it to arrive to my door. Has anyone mounted this by notching out the frame for this to fit in flush with frame rails, would be welded in along with still using the bolts, but just wondering what your thought are about doing it this way.
If you were going to go to the trouble of notching out the frame, then why bother with the adapter? If you cut open the frame, move the holes and frame spacers to the proper position for the 4x4x2 box, reenforce the frame and be done with it.

I don't think it would be a good idea to just have the box bolted to only one side of the frame. Even the stock box mounting took advantage of the full structure of the frame. Imagine the box stressing just one side of the frame.

chuzie

Bronco Guru
I originally went with the WCB adapter but was not happy how it forced my fittings to come in contact with the frame. Basically, to thread anything onto the lines, I would have to loosen / remove the mounting bolts.

The better option, for me, was to redrill the frame and make a small notch in the crossmember to account for the 3/8" plate on the frame side plus a nut and washer. The plate covers all 3 bolts so I don't see anything pulling through my frame. Some report they experience pancaking of the frame, but my original spacers are intact and I will monitor the nuts over time to make sure I am not in need of tightening.

OP
OP
408Bronco

408Bronco

Loc.
Midwest
Good point Steve, I think i'll just beef up the sides of the frame since I had some rust on the frame under the original box anyway. Thanks for all the input guys!