• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Gas Mileage

Rickb1b

Just thought I would post my progress over time and see what others are getting.

Started out with a stock 69 and tired 302. Kept pretty good records on mpg. Averaged 11 over a year or so.

Then did a 1 inch body lift and NV 3550 trans swap. Didn't change the mpg at all still 11.

Then installed a rebuilt 351 with stock pistons and heads, edelbrock cam and intake. MPG went down to 9.5.

Finally just installed the FITech efi, don't have a ton of miles yet, but it looks like I'm getting 14 mpg.

With the exception of the efi, I had a lot of miles calculating the mpg and all the driving was pretty much the same type, my around town running.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks for keeping track and letting us know Rick. Good stuff to know and a lot of people still wonder what is "normal" and what certain improvements will net them.

Keep on checkin'

Paul

OP
OP
R

Rickb1b

I guess I should probably add. I have 4.11 gears and 31 inch tires.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Looking forward to gear change info from someone. With no other changes it would be nice to see what the gears do.
I might be the one to do it sometime, but it won't be immediately. Running 4.56 with 31" tires now, but have a 4.11 chunk waiting around to try.

Of course, just tires alone can make a big difference. I've changed tires on different cars and trucks and can see it immediately sometimes. Like going from 35" General Grabber MT's to BFG Mud TA's a few years ago. Immediately noticed the engine felt more sluggish and the mileage went down 1 around town and 2 on the highway. The tires were about 1" larger in rolling diameter, but that was probably not the reason all by itself.
About the same for my Regal GS. 32mpg, 30mpg and 29mpg for the three different models of Goodyear tires I've run on it so far. Within a close enough timeframe that I don't think engine tune or gas type or other conditions were at play. Or at least not big players.

Keep the numbers coming when you get 'em Rick.

Paul

thorgan

Since I've owned mine for so long, and since it's been through so many changes, maybe this is valuable info for someone. My '69 only had 26K miles on it when I bought it from the original owners in 1989. It was bone stock. Got around 12 mpg mixed driving city/highway. All time high was a trip from Reno to Vegas averaging about 60 mph and the fuel econ was 14.5. That was 4.11 gears, NP435 trans, and 31" tires. Stock 302 with a stock Edelbrock 600 four barrel on an Edelbrock performer manifold. Dual 2" exhaust.

I recall that the lowest I ever got was 8 mpg after installing a Motorsport performance cam. Otherwise the setup was the same but my driving was purely around town with a REALLY heavy foot because the cam woke up the top end and was really fun. Was still averaging 12 in mixed driving.

Next change was to my current engine which is a 351-based 426 stroker. 9.5:1, TFS heads, the smallest solid roller cam in the Crower catalog, full roller rockers, Eagle H beam rods, not sure what else would matter. By now the tires were 33x9.50/15's on stock wheels but still sporting the 4.11 gears and NP435. Exhaust was dual 2.5". Mixed city/highway driving got about 11 mpg. All time high was about 13.5. All time low was about 9 (engine wasn't working nearly as hard as the 302 when I was having fun).

Current setup still has the NP435 and 426W but now I've got a '78 F250 Dana 44 front full width, full width Sterling rear, 4.88 gears, 37x12.50/17 BFG All terrains, mustang-based EFI with an A9L computer, TFS intake manifolds, 30 lb/hr injectors, 90mm throttle body, and a custom tune of my own making that's still running waaay too rich. Exhaust is now dual 2.5" into a single 3.5". All time low is around 8.5 mpg and all time high is just under 14 mpg. Mixed driving gets 10 to 11.

Next changes are to optimize the injection tune and upgrade to a 4R70W. My goal is to see better than 15 mpg on the highway and I think it's possible.

Incidentally, I've never bothered to calculate economy on the trail. I think that would lead to severe depression.

Germd

Great info here in this thread. None of us owns an EB for fuel economy - however we're all interested in making our rigs efficient for whatever the intended purpose.
My rig consists of a '74 Bronco with 4" SL & 1" BL, 34.5" MT MTZ tires. Mustang 5L bored .20 over, OEM Mustang roller cam, Mustang EFI with 30lbs injectors, A9L computer, AOD trans, stock D44 front with 3.55TL, stock 9" rear with 3.55TL. I know the gears are not optimal but thats how I got it and it doesn't see trail duty. One day I'll go with taller gears when I have time to dig in to it.
At any rate, I only run 93 octane and have always gotten around 11mpg just tooling around town with some highway miles thrown in. Hope that info adds to the developing database.:cool:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I bet yours would work on 87 octane too Germd. Have you tried it and found that the engine is just not happy? Or have you ever tried it at all?
I used to run premium in my '71 because that's what I first thought Ford 302's in '71 wanted. Till I read the book and realized that the trucks used low-po compressions and cams and such, and only needed low-test to run just fine.
OE Mustangs ran regular, didn't they? Or were they asking for premium your year?

It's always been interesting to see such a huge range of different setups with engine and chassis, but almost all still getting within a mile or two per gallon of each other.
My goal has always been to try to squeak as much as I can out of one of these pigs. I'm not going to stop having fun with it first and foremost, but love the process of tweaking just as much as driving it.

Good luck to all!

Paul

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
Stock 94' 351 carbed(holly650 dual line double pumper/m5od/3.50's/15x36x15(measure34.75) Fun Country's/running under 60 mph mixed city and rural im gettin about 10 or 11 mpg. I expect it to improve when i go 4.56's

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I've had a bunch of EB's and they got the kind of mileage covered in this thread. The best was a '69 on 35s, 4.10 gears, 3 speed and a stock 250 I-6. Got as high as 15 on occasion. Right behind that was a '68 with nearly stock 289, 31" tires and 3.50 gears, 3-speed, that reliably got 13. Even my 408C-powered trail beast rolling on 39.5 IROKS managed to eke out 10 MPG on the highway...it did have EFI though.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The first three EB's my group had back in the seventies all got the same freeway-only mileage of 15.5 max when doing 55-60 on long trips. All on 32's and cut fenders, all different gears. 3.50's, 3.73's and 4.11's and all stock otherwise. Not only the same size tire, but the same tire. Armstrong Tru-Tracs.

Stupid consistent between the rigs until one guy added headers only. Mileage went up (but he never verified). Then he added a Holley 4bbl and the mileage went into the toilet (verified!%);D)

My best ever (pre-EFI) was 17.5 with a tiny little Holley Economaster 450cfm 4bbl. Small spread-bore with tiny primaries would launch you back in the seat. Never even had to feather the clutch anymore with that one. But it would fall on it's face over half throttle so I stupidly got rid of it. Should have tweaked about with it instead, but went back to my Carter and back to 15.5 until I changed the tires the next time. Went down to 14.5 after that.

I know we've gone over this many times before, but it's been a long time so I'm enjoying the conversation.

Paul

Lawndart

Loc.
'73
Stock 302 with Holley 390CFM 4bbl
C4 automatic
3.50 gears
30" tires
Was consistently getting 13mph before timing gear replacement.
Now getting 14mph consistently.
91 octane E0

Bukin 67

Bronco Abuser
I wasn't going for gas mileage when building, but I did want to run on pump gas, @ 91 octane or higher
35's
4.56 gears
C4
D20
347 Stroker @ 423hp to the ground....

5-6 mpg on the trail :p

I'm not sure what it would do just on the street. Maybe 8 (hopefully) but probably 7.

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
Hey Paul. The smile factor is there all the time. Lol. The 351 has gobbs of low end torque. I can drive around town in 3rd gear all the time and never downshift as long as i dont have to stop completely. Im gonna go with a smaller carb or maybe fitech and the 4.56 and expect to see a big gain in mpg. We will see

Germd

I bet yours would work on 87 octane too Germd. Have you tried it and found that the engine is just not happy? Or have you ever tried it at all?
I used to run premium in my '71 because that's what I first thought Ford 302's in '71 wanted. Till I read the book and realized that the trucks used low-po compressions and cams and such, and only needed low-test to run just fine.
OE Mustangs ran regular, didn't they? Or were they asking for premium your year?

It's always been interesting to see such a huge range of different setups with engine and chassis, but almost all still getting within a mile or two per gallon of each other.
My goal has always been to try to squeak as much as I can out of one of these pigs. I'm not going to stop having fun with it first and foremost, but love the process of tweaking just as much as driving it.

Good luck to all!

Paul

Paul,
I've never tried it on "regular" 87. My early 80's Mustang motor would probably do just fine with that though. I had it dyno tuned after my first A9L ECU failed & have used 93 ever since because I put so few miles on it. With my gears & 30lb injectors the motor is really loafing at 60-65, so I may just run a tank of regular through it next time I put some highway miles on it just to see if I can detect any knock.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
With 3.50 gears, 31's and a bone stock 302 my '73 got nearly 14 mpg consistently then at about 16 years old I started screwing around with carb, headers, intake, etc....mileage went down but fun factor went up.
Gas was cheap then, so I didn't mind.
Fast forward about 4 years and I built a 351W for it. Mild head work, clean up of the casting for better flow, nothing crazy, roller rockers, Rhoades bleed down lifters, Edelbrock Performer intake, etc...
10 to 1 compression. Erson can with similar specs as the mild Edelbrock grinds we all love today, Duff headers, 390 Holley 4 barrel, etc...
Making approx 330 hp according to the package of parts I was using. I nearly exactly copied a magazine article from the early 80's, even though it was nearly 10 years later....it took me a long time to finish the engine build, haha....

Anyway that build netted me about 14 miles per gallon still.
Whut?

This much extra power, torque, sound, and I'm still getting the 14 mpg I started with, yeehaw....life is good.

I asked my friends at Duffs back then if this was common and they said yes for a multitude of reasons like the emissions era engines (my old 302) were often not more efficient just cleaner at the tail pipe, and that my 31's had my stock gearing just a little higher helping to likely lower the highway rpm, but most likely was due to the 351's additional low rpm torque, saying that it can simply do more work at a lower rpm then the 302 and that this often translated into more mpg.
Keep in mind the speed limit was only 55 mph too....so highway rpm is relative to the mph laws of the era.

Fast forward another 20 years or so...gulp...

Windsor is about the same small changes but not much. The carb was now a 670 TA. 33" tires, and a 1" bl with a 3.5" suspension lift. So I'm pushing a good bit more air out of the way and my 3.50 gears don't like the 33's quite as much as the 31's performance wise,.....and my mpg plummeted....about 9 mpg.

4.11 axle gears made a difference in town with mpg....it actually improved a bit. But not so much on the highway where I was now getting about 8 mpg....

Most recently I have bumped up to 35's. I may have gotten back to 10 mpg on the highway....prolly not though....

So .....from all of this you can ascertain that when your still down at 31's you can really get some decent mpg's but once you start going with bigger tires and more power it falls off precipitously.

One large factor though is how much faster I/we drive at highway speeds today.
When I was a kid I rarely drove the eb over 60 mph (speed limit was 55 then). Now I routinely drive 80+ mph just to stay with the flow of highway traffic, and usually at about 3400 rpm soooo its hard to compare today's highway mileage with yesteryears....at least for me.....today's ethanol blends don't help either....

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
When i first got mine in the 90s
I drove it everyday from 95 to 2005

With a stock 351w 2bbl carb, 3 on the tree and 4.11 axles and 28" tires
I got about 16
Switching to 33"s and no lift the mpg stayed about the same

Adding a 3.5 lift and 35's dropped it to 11.5 mpg

And thats factoring in the slow odometer without a tooth change on the speedo cable

Later swapped to a stock 1991 efi 5.0 and a nv3550 five speed and no change to the mpg

Based on my experience you're gonna get in the low teens if its stock height and you lose 1/2 mpg for ever inch you lift it and 1/2 mpg for every inch of tire size over the stock 28"

So if you do a 3.5 suspension lift you gonna lose roughly 2 mpg
And then when you bolt on the 35" tires you're gonna lose another 3 or 3.5 mpg

I've found this to be pretty close on modern vehicles too

The short window when mine had a efi and five speed OD and 28" tires I got 16-17 pretty consistently

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
Oh and the fed gov Midwest vote buying program , requiring the ethanol garbage in the gasoline knocks 10-20% off the mpg

If you got 12 mpg with plain Arab Opec gasoline you will only get 10 with the ethanol garbage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yep, aero seems to be a big factor no matter what level you're at with an EB. But taller is always worse aero unless something has been done to compensate. Which is not much usually, when it comes to EB's.

Paul