• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Sand blast cabinet shaker??

NJBronco

I've beeing cleaning up random bits and pieces of my rust bucket. Lol. I'm trying to research a vibrator to put on my el cheapo harbor freight bench cabinet. Just curios if anyone here has ideas. I've heard of a little motor with an off balance wheel on it. Just can't find anything on how long the motor lasts. I'm looking for cheap and last a long time.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Rotary eccentric vibrators are very common in a variety of bulk feeding applications where the bulk material is prone to clumping, bridging, etc, so any industrial equipment supplier should have several pneumatic, electric and/or hydraulic options.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#vibrators/=wjci7q

OP
OP
N

NJBronco

I saw the sander thing too. I just can't find anything about reliability. Only that people have tried it. The commercial bin hopper shakers for feed and grain are way to expensive. Was kinda hoping someone would for example say "here's a pic I did this 5 years ago and it works awesome." Lol.

I even contemplated going to the adult store and getting one of those little egg shaped vibrators and clamping it to the end of the pickup tube. Then running the battery pack along the tube and out the door. Then hardwiring a power source. Seems I really only need the pickup area to shake. Media doesn't really stick the sides. Just kind of bowls Up in the middle pickup area. Pocket bullet? Lol that maybe what they are called

migs

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Here is what TP Tools sells, no experience with it myself though. I have a skat blast cabinet but no shaker. keep thinking I should try one but I still just bend down every now and then and bang on the sides of the hopper with my hand.;D

suthernboy

Loc.
Greenville, NC
Here is what TP Tools sells, no experience with it myself though. I have a skat blast cabinet but no shaker. keep thinking I should try one but I still just bend down every now and then and bang on the sides of the hopper with my hand.;D

That's what I do to! Blast & Bang & Bang & Blast. I did reconfigure my airline drops and begin draining my tank daily, that seems to help a lot. Especially here in Eastern NC where the humidity never gets below 70% between May and November. Bought a dessicant filter and the cartridge is saturated in HOURS. Can't afford to use it except for painting!

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
Could you mount a small generic electric motor to the side with a homemade offset hub? Not sure if it would shake enough but might be worth trying.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Have you tried the pickup tube modification? Take a piece of 1/2 inch copper tube and clamp it next to the pickup tube all the way to the bottom of the pickup tube and run it up high in the cabinet to act as a vent. Some people run the tube outside of the cabinet at the top. This allows the sand to fall better.

ransil

Bronco Guru
I take my feed hose off the gun, stick the nozzle in it and back flow air into the hopper for a few seconds.

OP
OP
N

NJBronco

I did add the copper tube. That helped tremendously. I currently put my glove over the business end and it burps the pick up. Works pretty good. Just looking to be a little better. Banging doesn't seam to do the trick for me.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
Rusty
PPPPPPPPPPPLLLLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSEEEEEEEE edit that link so the page goes back to the normal width! You can delete the "?" and everything after it, and the link will still work. Or you can put the whole mess inside "url" tags with shorter text between them to create a hypertext link.

NJ
What are you trying to accomplish? Do you just want the sand to settle so the sandblaster keeps feeding? Or are you trying to use the sand bin as a vibrating polisher?

OP
OP
N

NJBronco

Just trying to keep a good flow. I use black beauty and it works great but it kinda locks together and makes an air bubble around the tube. I have resorted to using the air tube I added as a pusher. I give it a couple shakes and I'm good for a minute or two. Then open the door and shake the tube again. Gets old fast. Otherwise everything works great. No clogs and the media is nice and dry. I think it's just the coarseness of the media needs to be agravated so I'm not. Lol

Bajabrewer

Contributor
Bronco Guru
When mine gets slow or air around the tube I give it a shot of air from the gun into the sand & it stirs it up & i keep working.

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
Steal your wife's Hitachi Magic Wand

And if she doesn't have one yet, get one
It will be her new best friend

OP
OP
N

NJBronco

Nah. Lol. I'm quite happy with her current magic wand. And I don't think think it's worth the chaffing to use it in the blaster. Lol. I may try facing up something with my rc car motors. If it dies it dies.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
I just press the blaster tip into my other glove and give it a shot. Normally, the air flows out the tip, creating venturi vacuum to pull sand in. But with the tip blocked, it backflows the sand tube & clears most blockages.