• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

FITECH Fuel Pump Mounting

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Wow - all those expensive fittings and I just pushed fuel line over the barb and EFI hose clamped it over 6 years ago. Quiet as a mouse - hasn't died yet. Lots of people having bad luck with the provided FiTech pump. <$45 pump still going strong, quiet as a mouse.

81ORCknXF%2BL._SL1500_.jpg

A great alternative if someone hasn't bought a pump yet - worked on my EEC-IV Mustang injection and works great on my 600PA setup.Precise 402-P2000

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
I call $30 to not have hose clamps of any type in a high pressure fuel system money well spent. Not going to debate if hose clamps can or should do the job. I DO NOT WANT THEM IN A FUEL SYSTEM, and if others feel the same way I'm happy to point out what I've used for nearly a decade on various projects.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
I call $30 to not have hose clamps of any type in a high pressure fuel system money well spent. Not going to debate if hose clamps can or should do the job. I DO NOT WANT THEM IN A FUEL SYSTEM, and if others feel the same way I'm happy to point out what I've used for nearly a decade on various projects.

But you trust push-loc fittings to hold everything together? Hmm - ok. I don't like the screw type clamps either, but the EFI clamps are quite a different story.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
The hose itself fails before the fitting is ejected from the hose. Not sure of the burst strength rating for 3/8" hose off the top of my head, but 1/4" is rated to 250 psi. Without a clamp or anything else. After several decades of experience using them, YES I will use them instead of a clamp on a barbed fitting. How many hose clamps do you see in OEM EFI fuel systems these days?

I've posted this pic many times, but take a close look at it. This pump has been under this car of mine for over 2 years and roughly 10k miles. It is held in place only by the hose fittings. The mild kink was corrected shortly after the pic with a 45° hose fitting.
i-ggtF8QF-L.jpg

Don't have to use Push-Loc/Barb-tite fittings on AN adapters, there are other options. But before condemning the Push-Lok/Barb-tite design try assembling a fitting into a hose. -6 is effort, -8 is real work.

Last edited:

chickenman

Loc.
Edmonton Alberta
Is the recommended distances from the tank for the inline pump 2 ft like the Holley kit? Mine is a '73 and have return lines already built in. Would be sweet if I could still use the manual tank selector I have under the drivers seat, but I fear the distance will be too great at about 5 feet

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
Here is an example of how we do it. For dual tanks we run dual pumps, not a fan of the 6 way switch as if it fails you have no redundancy, things stop there. The way we run it, if the selector valve or relay etc. were to fail, the system always reverts back to the main tank. Sure it costs a little more for the second pump but then again you always have a second pump on hand etc. This is based off of how the factory did it in the late 80's and early 90's with the dual tank trucks and we figured if Ford spent millions in R&D to do the system that way then who am I to change what works. ;)

Attachments

• IMG_7824.jpg
    IMG_7824.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_7825.jpg
    IMG_7825.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_7826.jpg
    IMG_7826.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_7827.jpg
    IMG_7827.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 62

bteutsch

Here is an example of how we do it. For dual tanks we run dual pumps, not a fan of the 6 way switch as if it fails you have no redundancy, things stop there. The way we run it, if the selector valve or relay etc. were to fail, the system always reverts back to the main tank. Sure it costs a little more for the second pump but then again you always have a second pump on hand etc. This is based off of how the factory did it in the late 80's and early 90's with the dual tank trucks and we figured if Ford spent millions in R&D to do the system that way then who am I to change what works. ;)

This looks like something I would like to do.. Do you have a rough diagram for the electrical? And a plumbing diagram? Can you use the factory fuel gauge switch to run the pumps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: